trading reselling Touchstone Tarot advice

olivia1

Hi,

I have been on the fence about the Touchstone Tarot for quiet awhile. I really like the art but I already have enough RWS decks. However, I am now finally considering getting it after seeing it on amazon for crazy prices and not being able to find it at all on ebay. I figure, this might be my last chance to get it. my question, though, if I don't like it...do you think it will be easy to trade or resell at around the original purchase price?

I know its being advertised for high pricse on amazon but I dont know if I should put too much emphasis on that since awhile back ago, I remember seeing a certain OOP deck going for quiet a bit. then the next week the price of that deck drastically dropped. And I dont think that deck is very popular on here so I doubt it would have been easily tradeable.

eta: I dont like having more than 6 decks in my collection at one time so if I dont like it, I definietly would not want to hold onto it and (if I had to) I really would try to become a subscriber just to trade it off if I thought it would actually easily trade.

Aerin

amazon is never a good guide (well almost never). ebay closed sales is often a better bet as a price guide ...

You may be better to become a subscriber and then ask for it as a trade item????

ETA: It is still available at normal price from Tarot Connection http://tarotconnection.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=340. Look here http://touchstonetarot.com/ and search Tarot Garden as they also have it in stock.

It is almost always worth doing a quick bit of googling before assuming you can't get a deck for list price.

Tarot Connection
Tarot Chest
Tarot Garden

pretty much always have decks in stock after amazon have given up. Oh, and book depository often have too.

ps it is easy to get carried away if you think a deck is unobtainable. However, if you THINK you may like a deck then it is worth getting it at in print prices and then waiting a while to decide.

olivia1

Aerin said:
amazon is never a good guide (well almost never). ebay closed sales is often a better bet as a price guide ...

You may be better to become a subscriber and then ask for it as a trade item????

ETA: It is still available at normal price from Tarot Connection - didn't get around to checking Tarot Garden. Look here http://touchstonetarot.com/ and search Tarot Garden as they also have it in stock.

It is almost always worth doing a quick bit of googling before assuming you can't get a deck for list price.

Thanks Aerin!

Yes, I saw it on Tarot Garden it is regular price. I planned on getting it there. I was thinking if I didn't make up my mind now that it would be my last chance to get it at a decent price. I dont really have *any great decks to trade to get the Touchstone so I think for now, my best bet would be to buy it on Tarot Garden then hope if I dont like it that someone will kindly trade with me or buy it off of me (as a subscriber on here or on ebay).

I am very cautious because I remember the nightmare I had getting rid of the Druidcraft. I am still very grateful to the ATer who took it off my hands.

* Im attached to all my decks so trading would be hard for me...that is why I have to make sure that the Touchstone will be easy to trade, so if I dont like I can trade before getting attached.

Aerin

Well, personally I'd get it and then put it aside if I wasn't keen. (Hide it!)

There may be a reprint. There may not. But eventually it will probably become harder to find and then you've got yourself a trading item. Always a risk though.

It depends whether it is worse for you:

Having a deck and needing to trade when no-one seems to want it

OR

Not being able to get a deck you think you want.

conversus

Just my two cents, here. . .

Only you know why you choose to limit your collection to 6 decks. This may be healthy or not only you know.

That said, and no offense meant, but you neither want nor need a deck if you are already concerned about its ability to sell or trade. You will be far less likely to allow your self to open up with a deck if you already know, before you hold it in your hand, that the relationship could be terribly temporary.

<<bowing out now . . .>>

CED

olivia1

CED, I am not offended. I am glad you posted :)

Aerin and CED, you both have great suggestions. I like the idea of just hiding the deck if I don't like it (so I dont get attached). After all, I *love* the art work so I feel like I should at least hold the deck in my hands before deciding to pass on it..but at the same time, CED is right because every deck that i have decided that I would resell or trade if i didn't like(before I even received it) ended up being only so-so decks to me.

The decks I purchased with the intention of keeping forever were the ones that became favorites. I think I will research this deck more before I decide what to do. those amazon prices made me think I had to make a decision soon but since there are still a few places that carry the Touchstone at a decent price, i suppose I still have time to research. Thank you Aerin and CED :)

eta:
Oh and no one asked but I figured i might as well share why i want to keep my limit to 6 decks: it is because I dont want to become addicted to buying decks. I used to have a spending problem and love to purchase more than I really need. I went through a phase where I kept buying books just for the heck of it and it seriously became an addiction because I was actually buying a new book or 2 every other day.

minrice

olivia1 said:
I used to have a spending problem and love to purchase more than I really need. I went through a phase where I kept buying books just for the heck of it and it seriously became an addiction because I was actually buying a new book or 2 every other day.

I can truly empathize Olivia! Shopping/spending is my biggest vice by far, and staying away from temptation is key. That being said you probably don't need enabling ;)

I think the Touchstone and the Touchstone LE will be fairly easy to come by for a long while still. If you ever decide you NEED a copy ;) I would subscribe and get one via the trading forum. It seems like someone always has a regular or an LE there if you just ask.