Tree of Life oracle

Ophiel

Has anybody seen the Tree of Life oracle? This isn't exactly a Tarot deck, but it includes cards and a booklet, so why not?

My local bookstore has a pile of them and I can't get a good look inside. This is the one by by Cherry Gilchrist. It looks interesting, but I'd like an idea of what it's about before shelling out the bucks. I'm not really interested in using it as a tool for divination, but am more interested in working with it for Kabalah insights. I think it has something to do with spelling words and how they apply to the paths (or spheres) of the sephiroth. It does look interesting, and I fear that my curiosity might get the best of me, but at least I have my priorities straight and will make sure I have plenty of cat food first.

If you've seen this deck, please post your impressions here.

Thanks.
Ophiel

Lee

Hi, Ophiel, since this is not a Tarot deck, I've moved it to the Divination forum.

I just recently got this deck. It's a deck of 56 cards, along with a layout cloth, a notepad to record readings, a separate card that has quick position meanings for the spread, and the book.

The authors use their own attribution of Hebrew letters to the paths, which results in Hebrew words being formed when the Tree is broken down into clusters of spheres. There are 14 of these clusters, and each cluster's Hebrew letters form four words, so you end up with a deck of cards in four suits with 14 cards per suit, like the Minor Arcana of a Tarot deck. What determines the meaning of each card is the word (translated into English) assigned to that card as well as, to a lesser extent, the pattern of spheres that make up that cluster.

My opinion is that this makes for a very interesting divination tool, but frankly it's not an ideal way to learn about the Qabalah. The meanings of the spheres only play a small part in the system, and the book only devotes one sentence to cover the meanings of all ten spheres. So if you're interested in Qabalah but not in divination, this may not be what you want.

By the way, the cards are illustrated by Helen Jones, who did the Jane Lyle Renaissance Tarot. However, they're not full illustrations; they're basically wheels with astrological symbols representing the spheres placed around each wheel.

The layout cloth is very eye-catching. It's made of what looks like undyed burlap, with the card positions printed in bright red.

-- Lee

Ophiel

Thanks Lee.

I posted my message this morning, and when nobody responded in ten minutes, I went out and bought it! Aries Moon, you see.

I tried researching this product online before buying it. I only see the pile of sealed boxes on the floor at the store, so of course I am THAT much more interested.

Within seconds of opening it, I realized I did not like it at all. It looked to me like someone had a growing pile of bills, and too much free time, and sat around and made this up. Had the Hebrew letters referred to terms I knew from my own study (yod = a hand, for instance), I may have been more interested. But the whole thing just didn't lay right with me. I read a few sentences from the book and fell further in my hole. The cards were uninspired, too, the same design with the glyphs moved around. Big whoop.

I took it back.

Perhaps this sort of thing will appeal to some, but since I wasn't interested in divination with this kit, I needed substance and just didn't find it in the box.

Thanks for moving my message, in your infinite wisdom, of course!

Yami Yugi

Excellent for divination and spellwork. But unfortunately falls short for kabbalistic education. though for spellwork it can be a very powerful tool for both spells and meditations. And for divinations it has a spectrum for every part of your life. People who are withing the magickal grasps of kabbalah and need a medium for spellwork and divination this is great. But, as for telling you about the kabbalah it falls short. 7 out of 10.