Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

MissChiff

My last offering is the endlessly adorable La Corte dei Tarocchi. Despite its limited status, I decided to apply gold paint to those areas of the cards where the original artwork has gold. It took me weeks, doing just a card or two a day. They look absolutely fantastic.

This is stunning.... How did you talk yourself into doing this?

thorhammer

This is stunning.... How did you talk yourself into doing this?

:D I like to live on the edge...also, Anna Maria D'Onofrio created the originals with gold paint. I figured I'd be doing honour to her intention.

HallowedNight

I know I basically stalk this thread, but I was just wondering... Has anyone used a rotary cutter for their cards? I feel like that would be much easier to keep straight than a pair of scissors, but I wonder about the thickness of some cards. (I just got a deck that I'd love to trim, but I have carpal tunnel and scissors are not my friend, so I'm searching for some other options...)

LindaMechele

Hey, HN! Have you thought of using a guillotine paper cutter? Here's a photo of mine. I've trimmed at least two decks with it and it's fast and easy (a little more than half an hour cutting each deck). Here's a How To thread I posted when I did one of my Sacred Roses. I don't have carpal tunnel, but do have a touch of arthritis, and the guillotine didn't bother my hands a bit.

lark

Hey, HN! Have you thought of using a guillotine paper cutter? Here's a photo of mine. I've trimmed at least two decks with it and it's fast and easy (a little more than half an hour cutting each deck). Here's a How To thread I posted when I did one of my Sacred Roses. I don't have carpal tunnel, but do have a touch of arthritis, and the guillotine didn't bother my hands a bit.
That is what I use too mine is a Fisker it is smaller and sells for about 15-20 dollars depending where you buy.....I like it a lot and you can get very precise results and easy on the hands.

HallowedNight

Oh awesome! I actually have access to one of these and was wondering about it, that's great that it actually works! I might have to sharpen it up though. :p Did you round the edges afterwards or keep them sharp? I've seen people talking about edge-rounders, but I've never actually seen one.

That is what I use too mine is a Fisker it is smaller and sells for about 15-20 dollars depending where you buy.....I like it a lot and you can get very precise results and easy on the hands.

I wonder if a smaller one would be easier than a larger one. Probably a little easier to control, but not as much weight behind it. The blade would have to be really sharp!

lark

I wonder if a smaller one would be easier than a larger one. Probably a little easier to control, but not as much weight behind it. The blade would have to be really sharp!
It is really sharp and what also sold me on it the blade is self sharpening...bought it at Michel's with one of their 40% off coupons so only cost me about 11 dollars...I figured for that price if I didn't like it I could get something else, but I really love it, very compact, and perfect for card size cutting.

McFaire

Has anyone used a rotary cutter for their cards? I feel like that would be much easier to keep straight than a pair of scissors, but I wonder about the thickness of some cards. (I just got a deck that I'd love to trim, but I have carpal tunnel and scissors are not my friend, so I'm searching for some other options...)

Here is a thread specifically about cutting tools:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234568

Tigerangel

Ooh, nice work Tigerangel. I love the look of that Crystal Visions especially because it´s a deck I own and I have been eyeing it with scissors in my hand for a long time. I have been so tempted to so something about it. The edges look fab,too.

Thanks, even when the crystal visions is trimmed its still a nice size to shuffle with, I have quite small hands so I prefer decks on the smaller size, I'm working on my Cosmic just now it's a big job with it.
It's getting a total new look, I had it for nearly ten years now, I cut the borders of about 3 years ago, but now the wear is showing on the back of the cards aswell the front, so thought I'd give it a total make over as its pretty worn, but it's taking awhile to finish.

HallowedNight

It is really sharp and what also sold me on it the blade is self sharpening...bought it at Michel's with one of their 40% off coupons so only cost me about 11 dollars...I figured for that price if I didn't like it I could get something else, but I really love it, very compact, and perfect for card size cutting.

Oh, nice! Maybe I'll try the big one (because I already have it) and then try a smaller one if that doesn't work out well. Self sharpening sounds great though, that's the only fear I have with the big one! It's pretty old, so I'm a little worried about it...though it does seem to work quite well.

Here is a thread specifically about cutting tools:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=234568

Thank you so much! Everyone here is so helpful~ :D