Trimming decks

Sheri

I trimmed my large Thoth specifically to remove the keywords. But I wasn't really the person who had trouble with the keywords...people who I read for did. Of course, I have only read online, and here at the forum, but once someone knows that "Failure" is on the table, they cannot get past it. So if I do any readings in person with the Thoth, I will be using my trimmed one.

If necessary, I would have no problem trimming another deck.

I don't think I would have a problem if I couldn't tell what card was what. I don't use books or others' meanings for the cards so what they are isn't as important as what they mean in the context of the reading. Frequently what I find the cards to mean isn't what any author or even the creator of the deck identifies as its meaning anyway.

One recommendation I have regarding trimming though - use a trimmer and trim to make the cards the same size. Sometimes following the printed border can cause the cards to be different sizes and makes them difficult to shuffle. I noticed during my Thoth trim that some of the borders were different sizes - so when I trimmed just based on the border lines, the cards didn't come out the same size.

valeria

thinbuddha

HearthCricket said:
Ah, but now the question is, what did you do with the trimmings to keep them captured and not roaming the universe??

Oh- that is something I didn't think about. I believe that they just might have been sent to the recycling center. They are probably in a roll of toilet paper just waiting to take possession of the next thing that they touch!

Bat Chicken

thinbuddha said:
Oh- that is something I didn't think about. I believe that they just might have been sent to the recycling center. They are probably in a roll of toilet paper just waiting to take possession of the next thing that they touch!
You're too funny......})

karen0205

Hi All, I braved it out and cropped my Energy Tarot by Cheryl Shen. I love the deck but the oversize borders made the cards too hard to hold for me. I LOVE it now! The borders took away from the artwork. So much nicer now. I bought an extra set to crop in case I destroyed it so I was more comfortable cutting it up. I mostly cropped the side borders and left the top and bottom about half of what they were. I think they were a half inch each side and they are gone now. The top and bottom are a thick quarter inch now so it's just enough to still see the card name and number. Then I took my corner rounder from scrapbooking and did all the corners. Looks great! thanks for all who thought to crop decks and give me the idea, I would have never thought to do that! Karen

Imagemaker

Super! Doesn't it make a huge difference in pleasure in handling the deck?

Congratulations on taking the leap!

karen0205

Yes, it was so bulky and wide that it was hard to shuffle and work with. I don't want to have to think about handling the cards, I want to focus on the reading, not the cards. Plus, sometimes that large white border is just too bright. It takes away from the cards, to harsh.

I'm glad I trimmed them. Now I will use them more.

shadowdancer

I trimmed my Energy deck too, and had absolutely no regrets. Much better size, as you have pointed out.

Hope you enjoy your newly trimmed deck as much as I enjoy mine

Davina