trimming my thoth (first deck I ever owned)

BrightEye

I've been following threads here on the forum that talk about trimming the Thoth deck in particular. And I've seen the results too - Kissa, thanks for sharing your pictures with us. It looks really good. I'm dying to do it with my Thoth deck too. But there are three things I'm unsure about.

First of all, this was my very first deck, which I bought when I was still at school and spent a fortune of pocket money on. I'm scared I'll ruin it. It's kind of a sacred deck for said reason. This is my main concern

Second, I will have to do it by hand and can't round the edges off. Is that a major problem? I've read you can sandpaper the edges.

And third, my deck is standard size. Will the trimmed cards be too small? I have small hands though.

The main reason I want to trim it because the colours will come out better. I like vibrant decks. I have the Liber T which I use more often because of its gorgeous colours. I think if I trim it, I might use it more often.

Any advice?

Talisman

But it's a first deck

'Lo BrightEye,

Well, you asked for advice, so here 'tis: Don't trim that deck !

All the reasons you give for trimming the deck are good and logical, and I don't see any reason not to trim a deck, or do anything else to a deck you care to that suits your whims and desires. Why not ? It is your deck, and you can do with it as you will.

But . . .

This is your first deck, which suggests it was the deck you started your Tarot journey with. You will never, ever again have an opportunity to acquire a first deck. If you must, retire it and think warm thoughts about it being the first.

Another reason for my advice not to trim this deck is that I glanced at your profile and see that you have rather a lot of Tarot decks. But I'm sure there is room for one more. So, I'd suggest buying another Thoth, and trimming the new one. That way, if there is a slip in the trimming process and the deck is wounded . . . well, that is regretful, but it was just a "new" deck and not something you can't replace.

Best of luck, BrightEye, whatever you decide.

Talisman

Arania

I agree, don't.

What I sometimes do is scan the decks and print them on cardboard if I need the borderless-versions. I never did this with the Thoth, though I eventually may (I'm not a good cutter, so I only do this when I really think it makes a difference).

Little Baron

I did, infact trim my first deck.

But I would advise you not to. The small Thoth comes out very small trimmed and I think that if you were going to really appreciate a trimmed version, unless you were aiming for a mini deck, you should buy a larger sized deck and trim that.

LB

Dean

U.k

Just thougt i would add something about trimming your deck, i have several
Thoth decks that i have collected and i just keep for spares. I recently just tried to trim a Large Thoth deck and the results were terrible and wished i never trimmed it, the whole deck didn't look right the rounded edges looked more squared then what it was meant to look like.

I think many people dislike the back borders on this deck, and i'm just going to wait to have a early U.S Games edition that had no back borders to them that comes in the original white flap open box. I'm getting this from Jeanette from Tarot Garden.

BrightEye

Thanks everyone. After I posted my message this morning, I actually asked the deck whether it wants be trimmed or rather stay as it is. I got a very clear answer: 10 of Swords for trimming (which has a sword going through a heart) and Ace of Wands for not trimming. So I think I will buy a large deck, new, and try trimming that.

tarotbear

trim your sails, trim your hair, but ...

If I ever had the notion to trim a deck - I'd use a nice paper cutter - those things they use in offices - to cut the edges. Not scissors! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I feel that trimming a deck is a drastic measure that should be avoided.

Lillie

Deanres said:
I think many people dislike the back borders on this deck, and i'm just going to wait to have a early U.S Games edition that had no back borders to them that comes in the original white flap open box. I'm getting this from Jeanette from Tarot Garden.

Hi Dean.

There are a couple of these old decks on ebay right now.

One of them definately is what you are after, the other one probably is.

Item number: 5660152976
Item number: 5660417816

So, if you wanted another one, as well as the one from TG (or if anyone else does) that's where some are.

Though all these without the back border and with the red hex, are the 'greenies'. and not everyone likes that.

In Europe they have Thoths that are refered to as the 'red set', or 'blue set'.
I never know what they mean by that.
Does it refer to the cards? the books? or the packaging?

Dean

U.k

Hi Lillie

thanks for that i will pop onto ebay now and check those decks out.:)

thinbuddha

I have a trimmed thoth that I love- but it was a large edition..... I think the standard and small sizes would be too small once trimmed.....

But really- don't trim yo9ur first deck!

And don't buy an old deck to trim either! The backs of the new deck are ideal for trimming because the cross wouldn't be cut- but the older decks , if you trim them, will have srosses with arms cut off (ugly!)

Buy a newer deck for trimming, and trim away- it's quite a bit of fun.

-tb