Trimming? Please redirect or guide me

thorhammer

Well, it's easy enough to replace, but . . . well . . . it's not really a crafty thing to do, is it? It's just cutting stuff. And straight lines, at that! LOL And seriously, when you trim a deck you bond with it, card by card, making it all your own.

Plus, many decks have images that are slightly different sizes. It's one reason that borders appear on most decks - I think it was RiccardoLS (the Lo Scarabeo representative who is a member here) who told me that. He'd know. I don't think it's the case with the DC but I'd hate to find out when someone else trimmed it for me . . . :(

It's fun, truly. Not difficult, just requires care and patience :)

\m/ Kat

Amary

You'd think cutting straight lines would be easy, wouldn't you? But trust me- I would screw it up. There's no way I wouldn't. I would get one card crooked, and then I would have to trim it smaller to compensate, and then all the cards would have to be done over to match it, and before you knew it, I'd have a Druidcraft the size of a matchbook. It would end up only being feet and phallic symbols.

I don't really like the idea of taking my deck to be cut at a print shop, it seems awfully mundane and soulless, but they will get the edges straight and the cards matching.

jcwirish

I had a feeling someone would get upset about the Gingher reference. I have to say, I did not use my Ginghers, I promise!! I would never. I just happen to think they are the best scissors out there. I'm fairly sure Zander doesn't sew, but I could be wrong. I thought that they could be his special tarot trimming scissors. I repeat... I did not use my Ginghers to trim my Druid Craft. My mother, the seamstress, would kill me!

Amary

jcwirish said:
I had a feeling someone would get upset about the Gingher reference. I have to say, I did not use my Ginghers, I promise!! I would never. I just happen to think they are the best scissors out there. I'm fairly sure Zander doesn't sew, but I could be wrong. I thought that they could be his special tarot trimming scissors. I repeat... I did not use my Ginghers to trim my Druid Craft. My mother, the seamstress, would kill me!

Whew! I was really worried there for a minute.

Just between you and me, though- if I wasn't so cheap I would by a pair of 10 inch dressmakers shears JUST for my Druidcraft. Gingher shears are amazing.

Don't tell your mother. :D

zan_chan

jcwirish said:

haha sew? my mother still thinks it's amazing I can dress myself.

so yeah, I appreciate the recommendation. I'm actually starting to get excited to get started with it this weekend. I'll keep you updated once I do :)

jcwirish

Amary said:
Whew! I was really worried there for a minute.

Just between you and me, though- if I wasn't so cheap I would by a pair of 10 inch dressmakers shears JUST for my Druidcraft. Gingher shears are amazing.

Don't tell your mother. :D

When I was about 11, my mom went out and bought a really nice, expensive pair of sewing scissors. She then gave me a bag containing the 4 or 5 pairs of sewing scissors I had destroyed through the years cutting construction paper and other things. I had to swear I would never touch her good scissors.

But, you have to admit, a nice pair of Ginghers would cut a perfectly straight and sharp line on any needy tarot deck, haha!

jcwirish

Go for it Zander! It's liberating.

firefrost

I bought a pair of decorating scissors and a small corner rounder from a local craft shop.

I won't say my trimmimg is 100% A1 but I love my trimmed and cornered Place Vampire tarot.

It took my cutting thumb weeks to recover though - I thought it was going to be numb for the rest of my life!

Happy trimming :)

Debra

Amary said:
... and before you knew it, I'd have a Druidcraft the size of a matchbook. It would end up only being feet and phallic symbols.
:bugeyed:

Hm. On second thought, what else does one need, really.

TarotGirlUK

I've never heard of trimming! Why do people cut up their Tarot decks :S