Tudor Tarot

Thoughtful

Am not on facebook, the Tudor Tarot sounds interesting and l would like to see some images. l will wait to see if there are any responses.

Linfang

Saw it today as well on FB. I think it is a splendid idea merging Tarot with the Tudors. I will back this one for sure.

Padma

I'd have to see more of the cards than just the Emperor and the Fool (I find that particular Fool pretty ugly, actually!) But as an idea for a deck, it's great. My fave time period in history, besides the Edwardian period and the Roaring 20's!

nisaba

But an ugly Fool is a Good Thing! I'm immediately interested.

<starts stalking>

FLizarraga

Hum. I'm imagining the Queens: Ann Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Bloody Mary and Mary Stuart? Or should we throw Lady Jane Gray in there? An ill-fated bunch, that's for sure --even poor Elizabeth.

Nemia

I'm curious to see the pictures and compare them to the Touchstone - quite a number of Holbein paintings in there, too. Tudor btw for me means more than just Henry VIII and his wives and children; the religious conflict is very important, too, and you can even draw parallels between reading the Scriptures in different ways and reading the cards in different styles. There is so much to discover in the 16th century... I'd like to know which themes they took for the suits.

I wonder how, if you take historical persons for minors, courts and majors alike, can you preserve the difference between them? It's a problem I have with some decks that I like very much, Touchstone, Cosmic and Haindl among them. I read majors as archetypes, not persons, so for me the difference is important.

And I confess, the huge borders put me off a bit... but I'm curious to see how this deck develops.

Le Fanu

Two key issues for me on this one. I'm not sure there are 78 surviving portraits of Tudors so some doubling up may be required, which would bother me. Plus there'll be all the well known ones and I always find it difficult reimagining very famous portraits, like Henry VIII, as tarot cards, when I grew up with the portrait. Can't seem to bend my feelings afresh towards the images. If you'd never seen any 16th Century portraits it might feel fresh and readable but I don't think this one will work for me. Great theme though!

journeyinghome

I'm curious to see the pictures and compare them to the Touchstone - quite a number of Holbein paintings in there, too. Tudor btw for me means more than just Henry VIII and his wives and children; the religious conflict is very important, too, and you can even draw parallels between reading the Scriptures in different ways and reading the cards in different styles. There is so much to discover in the 16th century... I'd like to know which themes they took for the suits.

I wonder how, if you take historical persons for minors, courts and majors alike, can you preserve the difference between them? It's a problem I have with some decks that I like very much, Touchstone, Cosmic and Haindl among them. I read majors as archetypes, not persons, so for me the difference is important.

And I confess, the huge borders put me off a bit... but I'm curious to see how this deck develops.

This has the potential to be a very clever and well thought out deck though I agree with folks wiser than me, Nemia and Le Fanu, that there may be a difficulty in finding enough portraits. And it could be rather static with just portraits?

I'm immensely curious to see who the creator uses for the Devil. Richard III? Or Clement VII? Other good options too... My personal choice would be Henry VII ;) Oh, but would he be better as the King of Swords? More of a King of Pentacles reversed in later life though.

Always nice to see different and interesting decks in the works. Good luck to the creator. I'll be following the progress of this one with interest :)

Zephyros

It's very hard for me to judge a deck like this because there's not much to go on. The artwork is obviously not the deck creator's, and they don't seem to have made a collage like Kat Black did so there's no added symbolism. Maybe the Minors are different, I can't seem to find them, or the deck's Kickstarter, for that matter.

So all you're left with is the choices of different paintings, and that can be neither here nor there. The paintings are gorgeous, obviously, but there's not enough of a personal touch for me to be wowed by this as a Tarot deck. Already the choice to put Henry VIII as the Emperor seems a bit simplistic. Okay, so it's an obvious choice, but it doesn't actually say much either about Henry or the Emperor.