Unusual tarot question...

AlineMorganna

First let me say this is an unusal tarot question or request for help. I have done some studing but not as profiecent as I would like. Here is my strange question.
I am writing a book and in this book one of the characters gets a tarot reading. I know what I would like the reading to say but would like ideas of cards that would fit the reading. My plan is to look over the suggestions and see what cards feel right.
Here is a general outline of the tarot reading I have in mind:

* a journey- one completely different from what the character is on now- one that is very off the wall
* a transformation from what/who she thought she was to who she really is and needs to become
* of being uprooted and placed in a strange situation and place- no longer able to rely on safety, stability,familiarity of home
* magic- of power and duty and responsibility
* eventually finding where she belongs- feeling connected to everything around her

The character is 18 years old, female

If you need more information to help suggest cards let me know. If possible, could you write a small bit on why you suggested these cards I would appreciated it.

Thanks and I know this kinda off the wall.

AlineMorganna

cricket

Fool - a constant journeyman, setting out on something new all the time

Judgment, Death, Chariot or Wheel (depending on the overall feel you're after) - all cards of movement and change; Judgment and Death were my first two initial Aha! cards for this one, since they're all about emerging from something old into something new and different

Wheel or 10 of Cups reversed - unstoppable motion for the wheel, constantly turning into something new despite our best efforts sometimes; 10 of Cups for the family reference, reversed because it's a lack of family in this case

Magician, Emperor, Empress, or a court card (King or Queen preferably, suit dependent on her personality, what happens on the journey, surrounding circumstances, etc.) - magician for obvious reasons :); the others because they are in positions of power. I would lean toward a court card, just to balance out the number of majors and minors represented, but that's just me.

World - that sense of wholeness, and everything being right in the end

Just as a first impression. ;)

(eta explanations of why)

tigerlily

AlineMorganna said:
* a journey- one completely different from what the character is on now- one that is very off the wall
- Fool, 8 of Cups, 6 of Swords (8 of Wands, if there is a very sudden departure and things develop at a rapid pace).
* a transformation from what/who she thought she was to who she really is and needs to become
- Judgment
* of being uprooted and placed in a strange situation and place- no longer able to rely on safety, stability,familiarity of home
- Moon
- Magician, crossed or clarified by a court card: one of the Kings or Queens would fit, since they are the masters of their suit and are very aware of their responsibilities.
* eventually finding where she belongs- feeling connected to everything around her
- World, and/or 10 of Cups (this would put more emphasis on the emotional connection, feeling loved and embraced) or the 10 of Pentacles (which is more about connection on the level of shared values, wisdom, and even physical inheritance)

AJ

Ooo, fun reverse project.

6 Swords
8 or 10 Swords
Tower
ace or 6 of coins
Judgement or Sun

Thing is, for someone who reads as weirdly as me, I could make any card in the deck fit these perimeters :)

jaj

The KNIGHT OF WANDS: all knights have a connection to travel. I chose the Knight of Wands because the suit is associated with energy and new ideas. The pyramids in the picture imply a quest of some kind.

The XX JUDGEMENT card, implying a rise to the call of meaningful life, to what one was meant to be and do.

SIX OF SWORDS: the Rider-Waite picture pretty much speaks for itself. There is a child in the picture, but if the character has no child or family, then the child could represent a new creative concern or project. The swords in the picture are a great metaphor for being "cut off" or uprooted.

The MAGICIAN exercises magic, but must use it wisely and responsibly or he creates trouble.

TEN OF CUPS if the character ends up with a family. FOUR OF WANDS if the character ends up in a happy community. Or THE WORLD if you just want to show fulfillment in general.

Glitterbird

The Fool - Journey
Hanged Man - Transformation, changing direction
6 of Swords - uprooted and moving on
Magician - Magic - who better than the magician
The World- Completion

Sounds like a fun project. Good Luck!

canid

Who are your readers? Do you want to use the cards' traditional meanings or can you go with some of the more esoteric meanings? You know, stuff that the general public knows, or doesn't. The Page of Wands can represent some extremely odd occurrences - OOB's, all kinds of weird stuff, anything abnormal or out of the ordinary. The Page of Pentacles can be a propitious event. That combined with one of the more traditional travel cards would cover that aspect. Is this an actual or allegorical trip? Judgement for transformation, with possibly the 4 of Swords. Or the Hanged Man. Uprooted - 8 of Cups.

AlineMorganna

WOW!! Great ideas!! I soo appreciate your help! I can't wait to sit down and look at the cards together.

canid said:
Who are your readers? Do you want to use the cards' traditional meanings or can you go with some of the more esoteric meanings? You know, stuff that the general public knows, or doesn't. The Page of Wands can represent some extremely odd occurrences - OOB's, all kinds of weird stuff, anything abnormal or out of the ordinary. The Page of Pentacles can be a propitious event. That combined with one of the more traditional travel cards would cover that aspect. Is this an actual or allegorical trip? Judgement for transformation, with possibly the 4 of Swords. Or the Hanged Man. Uprooted - 8 of Cups.

All good questions and I will try to answer. I guess my target readers would be those that have no real tarot experience so I think more traditional would be more appropriate.
As for is it a real trip- yes- as in she will be moving from one place to another- but that they are literally worlds apart.

Again, I thank you for your suggestions.

Taamar

AlineMorganna said:
I love the Fool for this. Seems we all do. It's a classic interpretation. The Chariot is also connected to traveling, for the literal meaning of 'journey'

Lots of people suggesting Judgement, but another option is Temperance (think of what it means to temper a sword). Or Death, especially in a context with phoenix references

6 of swords for being uprooted, 5 of pentacles for having no support. How about 8 of swords, being surrounded by obstacles one is blind to?

The High Priestess is about control of the mystical, though not as overtly as the Magician. She seems to rule her power more quietly. Strength for taming a 'beast'. A woman with great responsibility might be the queen of swords, and I'm feelign drawn to the 2 od pentacles for some reason. Juggling multiple agendas?

Also a place for the High Priestess, who has learned control. And the 10 of cups for 'belonging' or the World for 'completion'. How about 7 of cups for 'getting everything you want'?

My brain keeps insisting that I mention the Moon for hidden knowledge and the 8 of pentacles for practicing ones craft.

Cerulean

Well, here's a few

AlineMorganna said:
First let me say this is an unusal tarot question or request for help. I have done some studing but not as profiecent as I would like. Here is my strange question.
I am writing a book and in this book one of the characters gets a tarot reading. I know what I would like the reading to say but would like ideas of cards that would fit the reading. My plan is to look over the suggestions and see what cards feel right.
Here is a general outline of the tarot reading I have in mind:

I think it depends on the setting and your audience. Say she is on vacation and is near a country setting--while I would pick six of swords, that also implies a leave-taking, sometimes with some sorrow. If it is eight of cups, the leave-taking could be her own will and she is going toward a crescent moon. Eight of wands is a huge rush of energy, almost a vortex like a huge wind, to me. Not certain if I can think of a pentacles change of scene type of meaning.

Well, Death can imply this; the Fool for some instances; Judgement might be a resurrection.

Eight of cups is better suited, I believe. Five of Cups is sorrow at such a situation, perhaps.

Some people would choose the Magician or Heirophant.

Could be Empress, Ten of Cups, Ten of Pentacles.

The character is 18 years old, female

Good luck! You might give a touchstone or talisman for each stage, should she need to find her way.

Best,

Cerulean