using a book during "professional" reading

floweronthewall

I've been reading for 15 years but I have never been able to commit the meanings to memory. I know we're supposed to find our own meaning in the cards but I guess I don't trust myself enough or something.. A lot of people are wanting readings and I would love to start doing it on a professional level but I'm worried about using my book. Any thoughts?

AJ

offer readings here and force yourself to do it without a book.
10 or 20 or 30 of them.

It helps a lot when practicing to read face to face for others, to also practice reading your spread out loud. It forces a clarity not possible with silent visuals.

That is wonderful you have folks asking for readings. do it with a book? for your mom or brother maybe...never for the public.

welcome to AT!

tarotbear

Word to the Wise: If you are 'going professional' - which means you are charging for readings and may develop a 'client base' - pulling out a book to 'look something up' is the most UN-professional thing you can possibly do in front of a paying Querent. Nothing else screams 'I DON'T HAVE A CLUE' in 8-ft flashing red neon letters faster than pulling out a book to 'check'.

You are probably much better at card reading than you think you are: trust in yourself.

Apollonia

I've been reading for 15 years but I have never been able to commit the meanings to memory. I know we're supposed to find our own meaning in the cards but I guess I don't trust myself enough or something.. A lot of people are wanting readings and I would love to start doing it on a professional level but I'm worried about using my book. Any thoughts?
I do know where you are coming from. It took me quite a while to feel comfortable doing a reading without consulting a book. However, when I decided I wanted to read on a professional level, I put the books away and never looked back.

IMO, A reader who consults a book during a reading is not in any way on a level with a truly professional reader. Period. If I went to a reader and they even so much as opened a book, I would be appalled and I would feel the reader lacked the level of skill I expect if I am paying for a reading.

My advice: Go cold turkey and do some readings either here or with some understanding friends until you feel okay about not having the books around. They are a learning tool when you are in student mode, but a crutch if you are aspiring to be a professional.

tarotbear

A lot of people are wanting readings and I would love to start doing it on a professional level but I'm worried about using my book. Any thoughts?

All you have to do is ask yourself this: If you went to a reader and paid them for the reading and they stopped in the middle to pull out a book to check a meaning ... what would you do?

I'd ask for my money back.

EyeAmEye

Agree with tarotbear and Apollonia on this. You'd really have no right to call yourself a professional reader and charge people for readings if you had to consult the book while reading. It screams "I have no idea what I'm talking about".

AJ's advice is a start. Practice here on AT with free readings in the forum. You'll get all the practice you could want.

Truth be told, though, maybe you would never be able to get to the level of professional reading. Not everyone can and despite the saying, practice does not always make perfect. There is a talent to reading professionally (the non-frauds that is, heck, even a "talent" to being a good fraud, too), not everyone has it.

VGimlet

Yep, time to let go of the "training wheels" that's what I called using the book, and I used books for a long time before I finally let go. And it is a lot like learning to ride a bike, without the training wheels you wobble a bit, and sometimes you crash, but as your confidence builds, well, you know.

You do need to let go of the book to be a professional reader.

But it's easier than you think.

ed. to add - and yes, I agree with AJ do a lot of readings. Practice will make it happen more quickly.

Grizabella

Oh my gosh, no! Don't check with the books if you're reading for someone! Not professionally and preferably not when you're practicing, either. There are two huge leaps I had to take myself. One was to read without a book and the other was to read in person, also without a book. It just seemed like I could never remember everything I'd learned.

Tarot works on what you see in the cards. If you can't remember everything without a book, then forget the book and just say what first comes to mind when you see a card. Then go ahead through the spread, weaving a story from the cards. If something appears and you can't for the life of you figure out what it's saying, just leave it and come back. If you come back and don't get it, then just move on altogether.

When you read in person, you're not going to do a "this card means this and that card means that" like we do when practicing here. A professional card reading is one where you get paid for saying what you see in the cards as a whole, not so much one card at a time. Put the whole thing together in a cohesive message. Your sitter might ask for clarification on how you see things you've told them, but that's okay. Just tell them what you saw and why.

Even if you're reading for another Tarot reader, the same thing applies. A fellow reader will respect what you find in the cards because they know how it works. They've come to you for your perspective, not for you to show you know rote card meanings.

floweronthewall

Thanks for all the good advice, I'm going to give it a go without the book for a while. My cards and I are very much in tune. My readings are accurate, I just need to let go.

floweronthewall

I'm glad i found this forum.. There are zero likeminded people around here, so many questions.. I appreciate all the feedback.