Vengeance

LaRazia

What cards according to you would indicate vendictiveness?

rwcarter

I'd definitely see the King and Queen of Swords as being vindictive when crossed. At the perception of being crossed, I could see the Knight Swords being vengeful. In their ill-dignified or reversed aspects, I could also see the Queen Cups and Queen Wands as being vindictive. Other cards I could make a case for would be:
  • 4 Pentacles - withholding as punishment
  • 5P - desire to inflict loss on another
  • 9P - desire to isolate someone to punish them
  • 3 Swords - "you hurt me, I'll hurt you back"
  • 5S and 7S - "I'll make you pay even if I have to cheat to do it"
  • 8S and 9S - desire to make someone suffer
  • 10S - vengeance realized
  • Ace Cups - desire to make someone cry
  • 4C - plotting one's vengeance
  • 5C - unnecessary vengeance or incomplete vengeance (there's more left than was destroyed)
  • 2 Wands - plotting vengeance
  • 3W - waiting for vengeance to occur
  • 4W - vengeance completed
  • 5W - fighting with oneself on whether or not to be vengeful
  • 6W - vengeance celebrated
  • 7W - retribution for vengeance completed
  • 8W - swift vengeance or swift retribution for vengeance completed
  • 9W - waiting for vengeance to occur
  • 10W - being weighted down with the desire for vengeance or being weighted down with the consequences of vengeance
  • Strength - deciding to be the better person and not engage in vengeance
  • Hermit - moving away from the situation that makes one want vengeance or self-examination of why one wants to be vindictive
  • Justice - retribution
  • Death - the ultimate vengeance
  • Temperance - trying to determine the appropriate level or act of vengeance
  • Devil - being trapped by one's desire for vengeance
  • Tower - the vengeful act
  • Judgement - karma or divine retribution

carmenca

Reversed queens for a woman or reversed kings for a man. Reversed pages, of course. These courts showing up with cards of strong emotions like ace of cups or ten of swords, and I have also seen the star come up in readings where someone is obsessed with hating you because they feel like you are above them and they harbor secret admiration that turns into hatred. I did a reading one time asking the cards if someone I suspected knew about me, and got many cards like this and was physically nauseous for three days after. I heard words like "mine" and "me" and "it's not fair" ahhh, it really freaked me out! So use discretion when even asking about others' jealousy or vengeance.

Grizabella

I'd definitely see the King and Queen of Swords as being vindictive when crossed. At the perception of being crossed, I could see the Knight Swords being vengeful. In their ill-dignified or reversed aspects, I could also see the Queen Cups and Queen Wands as being vindictive. Other cards I could make a case for would be:
  • 5C - unnecessary vengeance or incomplete vengeance (there's more left than was destroyed)
  • 10W - being weighted down with the desire for vengeance or being weighted down with the consequences of vengeance
  • Hermit - moving away from the situation that makes one want vengeance or self-examination of why one wants to be vindictive
  • Justice - retribution

Goodness, Rodney! What a wicked devilish mind you've got to come up with all this! :p

LaRazia

Thank you for the list! Yes,I can totally see the Queen of Wands reversed,I had bussiness myself once with a girl like that, very vednictive and hurtfull but threw lies,gossip and words. She literally created a story that is not true only to hurt the person she wanted.

Has anyone of ya'll ever gotten some vengefull card combinations ( lol )?

Gabe

• Justice - retribution

The strangest of all to me is 4 of wands...it has such positive meanings to me ! What cards should it come with to mean revenge or vindictiveness ?

Ace

The strangest of all to me is 4 of wands...it has such positive meanings to me ! What cards should it come with to mean revenge or vindictiveness ?

Living well is the best revenge.

barb

Lorraine1100

Gosh Gabe - that is exactly what I thought. I always had the idea that the 4 of wands is one of those really nice, lovely almost complete cards.

Never had a good relationship with the High Priestess myself! Just kind of seeing it as a smoke and mirrors and revolving doors!

rwcarter

I never saw Gabe's response until now. Yes, the 4W is generally a very positive card. But every card not only has positive and negative sides to it, every card needs to be interpreted within some context. In this case, the context was Vengeance. The 4W is often associated with marriage, which is a completion of the early stages of a relationship. I took the completion aspect of the 4W and applied it to the topic of vengeance, getting vengeance completed.

If I were reading on a relationship and got the 4W, vengeance completed wouldn't be one of the first 10 interpretations that come to my mind. But if I were doing a reading for someone who was worried about someone else getting back at them and that card came up, I'd have to inform the querent that the other person would be successful in their retribution.

No one card always means the same thing. The context of the reading determines how a card should be read, and as readers it's our job to be able to figure out how the cards fit in with the situation being addressed.

Rodney