Was I right in letting him go?

Gennai

Yesterday, my lovely faithful dog, Jack, went to the vets, and I agreed it was time to let him go as he has been struggling especially the last week. He had a bladder tumour.

Yes, I know. But I feel it was playing God, and perhaps I jumped too soon. However yesterday I felt a calmness for the time, but then well, tears / emotions/guilt has arrived.

Today, I did a spread (Archeon tarot)

The situation for Jack 1. The Sun
I am unsure of the Sun. I think it means that being happy was really important to him, he certainly liked to be happy and I'm not sure he was truly happy given my home situation over the last two years or so.

Was Jack ready to go? 2 King Wands fire/fire.
I had Jack cremated. It says in the Archeon handbook on this card "When at last he rested, he knew the action had been justified". This gives me a little peace. A little. I love this dog with all my heart. Some people have soul mates (human soul mates). Jack was my soul mate, and me his.

What Jack is now feeling... 7 Pentacles
Being looked after in spirit maybe. Growing stronger. I can't really focus on this card to be honest. I would like to, just can't at this moment link in to other vibes on this card.

Was I right in letting him go? 4 knight Pentacles.
For Practical reasons, yes - i.e. health, quality of life. But not as certain as the King would be. Yes, also happened, it wasn't planned for yesterday. It was in my thoughts and I felt strong enough to do it at the time.

Is Jack happy now? 6 pentacles.
Again I can't really read this card. 6 is often linked to love isn't it, and coming together. Perhaps it means he thinks of it as a new lease of life. Theres just coins on this card really. It doesnt speak to me today. It means success I know. Perhaps he is pleased to now be in a better world, in spirit and free from aches, pains and free to be free if you know what I mean.

There is an earth/fire mix isn't there in the spread, to me positive, Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

le fey

I'm so sorry, Gennai - letting go of a pet is so hard! Be kind to yourself - you did the best you could to help release him from pain.

The situation for Jack 1. The Sun
The situation for Jack is that he was a happy innocent dog - enjoyed life and trusted you to do what was best for him. The Sun also speaks to understanding the truth... you understanding it was time, and maybe him understanding that as well, and being ok with it. He had a good life.

Was Jack ready to go? 2 King Wands fire/fire.
I'm not entirely sure how to answer a yes/no question with a Court card, but this King is someone who has managed his goals and passions - is in control of them... to me that would suggest yes, he was not put into a situation where he was unwilling - he passed still in control of himself (and that was likely important to him, that he not deteriorate until he couldn't be in control)

What Jack is now feeling... 7 Pentacles
I always see this card as organic growth... things happening in their own natural time and at peace with the natural order of things. Jack is at one with nature now.

Was I right in letting him go? 4 knight Pentacles.
This Knight never does anything without careful thought and careful consideration of what is involved, esp regarding physical matters. You waited as long as you reasonably could - any longer and his quality of life would have greatly diminished.

Is Jack happy now? 6 pentacles.
The word that comes to mind is grateful... you offered him what he couldn't do for himself, as a good owner should.

willowfox

The king wands is a great adventurer and always enthusiastic for something new.

Personally I would never have an animal put down and never will, we don't put our parents or grand parents down, we help them with their struggle to pass on in the best way that we can. So, my animals are comforted up to the moment of their natural death. Also, they are never buried straight away in order that their spirits do not become earthbound.

Gennai

Thanks for your comments, Willow Fox, I understand your comments, and would have preferred that, however Jack's tumour was inside the neck of the bladder, growing inside the bladder itself, and was already somewhat developed last July. I think if he were human they would have taken out the bladder, but in a dog they do not. He was already struggling to go for a wee and a poo, and panting a lot, and up to his medication in pain killers.

We found each other and it seemed he had a pretty bad time before then as he had a burn around his neck, I promised him I would look after him and always make sure he was okay.

So I struggled with this as the bladder can burst ...

how long do you wait to bury them please, a day, two days?

willowfox

Gennai said:
Thanks for your comments, Willow Fox, how long do you wait to bury them please?

Usually 3 days.

~Lisa~

Hi Gennai

Such a hard thing to do.
Sun - Jack is happy, blessed, he is now where he is supposed to be. The sun comes out at the start of a new day.
King wands - yes, it was the right thing. The king has the difficulty of making decisions for others when they are unable to. He is a King of action.
7 pentacles - Jack has started to grow already where he is, which shows that he was ready and probably half way there.
Knight pentacles - it was your responsibilty, Jack was ready to go and needed your help to ride his soul from the physical world.
6 pentacles - Jack must have been so ready, he is grateful and sees what you did only as HELP. It means that you assisted him when he was unable to do anything for himself. It was meant to be, he knows it was hard for you and he wants to thank you.
Jack will always pop in and sometimes you will see him out the corner of your eye. He loves you very much.

~Lisa~

p.s.

His physical body is just a coat he is there already and he can come and go when he wants too. Animals are pure and innocent, they don't have complications in death. Its just a transition for them and not so hard for them as they already see both worlds.

canid

willowfox said:
The king wands is a great adventurer and always enthusiastic for something new.

Personally I would never have an animal put down and never will, we don't put our parents or grand parents down, we help them with their struggle to pass on in the best way that we can. So, my animals are comforted up to the moment of their natural death. Also, they are never buried straight away in order that their spirits do not become earthbound.

Last fall my paraplegic beagle's disk ruptured in his spine. This was the 2nd occurrence, the 1st being 5 years ago. So, for 5 years we had a crippled dog who didn't like his wheelchair, he preferred dragging his feet behind him & could go so fast his ears would flap in the wind. We didn't have him put down because we loved him. I had to keep his feet bandaged when he went outside (carried down the stairs & back up again) & I had to clean the carpets every week. At that time, he wasn't in any pain. BUT when it happened again last fall, you could hear him howling in AGONY several homes away. The poor dog was in so much pain, I hope someone would have the love & mercy to 'put me to sleep' if I am ever in that condition. It was the most horrible sound I've ever heard in my life & it haunts me. The vet said he could have gone on like that for days, eyes rolling, tongue hanging out, screaming in abject torment, so loud, so horrible, you couldn't talk to the person standing next to you. So, what would you do in that situation?

willowfox

canid said:
So, what would you do in that situation?

I would give the dog pain medication. I also had a dog that was half paralyzed, and he used to drag half his body around, I used to put a tee shirt on him so that he wouldn't scrap his bum too badly. But he was always keep on a shiny and somewhat slippery floor and he never strayed very far from me. I have had quite a few dogs die of cancer and of course a variety of other ailments, cats as well. I will give them as much medication and help as I can.

Edited to add, I look after dogs, cats, birds (pidgeons, and my parrot) plus other assorted wild life that comes to visit.

WinterRose

When I was a little bit younger, we had a Cavalier called Arabella. She was beautiful, and so sweet-natured that she gladly put up with two young rebels running circles around her and dressing her up in stupid outfits.... anyway, she took very ill eventually, and the vet diagnosed her with water on the lungs. There was nothing that they could do for her, and my parents, after an agonizing decision, had her put to sleep. It is NOT an easy thing to do, nor is it easy to explain to an 11-year old girl and a 14-year old boy. I can remember being the first one home (before my brother and mum, anyway), to see my dad in the hall-way. He explained that Arabella had been really ill, and had to be put down. I didn't really believe him, until I went into the kitchen and saw the empty place where her basket had been. Even now, 12 years later, I get a lump in my throat. Still, I know that had we not had her put her down, she would have died a long, slow, agonizing death. Prior to taking her to the vets, she had had a stroke and a fit. To that person who said they would never put an animal down, I'd say this: until they reach a level of care for animals that equals that which a human is given, you are doing your animals no favours by keeping them alive in a long, slow, drawn-out death. Humans have high care facilities. Animals don't. That's just a sad fact of life.

Also, I think that comment was insensitive to Gennai, who is obviously struggling with her loss.

Sometimes, there is no other option than the one that is unthinkable. Gennai, don't berate yourself - you did the right thing. He's at peace now, and doesn't have to suffer the agony that he otherwise would have done.