website questions for professional readers

Michael Sternbach

Hi acephale,

How much do you charge for your email readings?

And could you say something about how you made yourself known as an online reader?

Still working on that...

Thanks.

Michael

acephale

$90 because they're going to be as in depth if not more so than an hour long reading. I think we all know how that goes, you get so passionate about it and with the freedom to open books and write more, you just add more.

To be truthful I've never bothered with "spreading the word"/advertising my online services so I have no practical advice there. I would link to my "Readings" page on my site so you could see but I don't want to violate the self-advertising rules here. It's very bare bones. I followed Valetina Burton's advice in her book "The Fortune Teller's Guide to Success" (again not affiliated, just a really good book if you're in this) and got ordained by the Universal Life Church so as to avoid 'problems' with busybodies with too much time on their hands. So that's on there (and hey, you can marry people as well, good for some shekels on the side, just check your state/city laws, NYC has additional hoops) along with my approach towards reading which is very much influenced by Jodorowsky, Thomberg, Enrique, etc. etc. and a Paypal link. No testimonials. No FAQ. Simple.

But I'm lucky and I'll admit it openly. I've lectured and performed at a number of venues, shops, and art galleries in NYC so I have a good "niche" if you will. Most of my core came from them and then it was recommendations from that core that branched out and "newbies" that were intrigued by blog and fb posts. I am a total and complete social media whore. That is one thing I do utilize completely. Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram. That's why I'm such a big cheerleader for Seven Stars (sorry I kept calling it tarot by seven, that's what I start typing in my browser to bring her site up. And I'm sorry if I'm verging on plugging products here, but I really really do believe in the power of flash, using the eye to capture the imagination.) and some other artists of a similar vein on Etsy. I even use a "tarot wand", a shorter wand to point out details, because that's what a wand does, it focuses attention.The wand and my decks have nice boxes they stay in. When I found the right box for each, the pictures went on social media. But yes, I very much cultivate a certain "image" if you will and that is used almost daily on social media. But it's not a character, it's just who I am. I own a wooden box HP Blavatsky gave to Krishnamurti that I now use to store my supplies for theatrical seances and rolling papers. I think she would approve, ;-) Pictures of that went up a few weeks ago.

One thing that's nice, and this might work for more people, is to be really open and supportive with other readers in your area that are still "getting their feet wet" as it were. I've helped friends with what I've known and a lot of times, when people are making the transition from amateur to pro readers it's very hard to ask friends who have been getting free, "practice" readings to start paying for those readings. It's much easier to explain that since you're now going full time you have to devote more time to paying the rent, and you can recommend a really fantastic reader. It's a win-win because few people want to be seen as taking your rent money away, a fair number will stick with you, but those that peel off? New customers for your mentor. And that relationship still works for us, because we all have had customers that aren't quite working, but being able to recommend a friend is gold.

acephale

A perfect example of l'esprit de l'escalier, I should add this very forum itself is a great form of social media. In the past month I've had two different new querents state they've googled my name after a friend's recommendation, read something I've posted on here, and then booked a session. So I know we're not supposed to plug websites on here but maybe in this case we could let one slide and suggest paying the dues on here is very worthwhile. . . ; -)

And I know I've said this elsewhere, but if you're at all hesitant about giving readings because you might freeze up and forget a card's meaning, get a nice notebook, like one of those cool leather bound ones with an embossed cover, decoupage Parisian, whatever strikes your fancy, dedicate one page per card, and fill it with your notes. No querent will ever object to an esotericist consulting their notes for deeper meanings. And truthfully, you won't need it. The reassurance that it's there, the way the cards interact with one another and the web they weave with the two of you will be much more than enough. I would actually tell you to shut the hell up. I know when I'm nervous I tend to fill the empty spaces with words. Let them tell you what the cards mean. The cards are gnostic symbols, they talk to everyone if we give them the space to breathe.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I love reading. I think everyone should give it a go. Yeah, it's scary to think about and there's all those "what ifs?" but that's all they are. Cross them off, tell them to kick rocks and have some fun.

MandMaud

Linda, thank you for such detailed insight into your experience and thoughts! Much of it I found myself thinking, "Well, of course - obvious!" which is the sign of a good teacher/explainer! :)

I know this is a couple months old, but I've got to know - do you have your website posted yet, MandMaud? Have you done any readings? I hope so! If not, or even if you have, I had a couple comments just in case they may help. I've never done pro tarot readings, but have done pro garden consultations, and since business is business, hopefully some of this is of some help.

I haven't gone ahead - yet. A combination of travel, house guests, house repairs, being poorly, laptop being poorly, and various other time-consuming stuff. Meanwhile I have started on a separate project which will keep bubbling slowly on the back burner until it's ready to taste...

Your business approach is really useful for me to read.

When I first started, I set my limit to one consult a week. Now I can do a lot more, but it helped my anxiety level to have that limit in the beginning, until I got the hang of it. Nowadays, if I feel my anxiety level rising when the phone rings, that's my cue that it's time to take a break, so I'll tell everyone I'm busy for the next two weeks, "but I have Monday the 20th open. Does that work for you?"

I have thought of pretty much the same thing, though maybe one or two a month as my limit initially. I have health conditions that take up time; I'm used to thinking in terms of weeks where others think days. It's good that you reinforce the thought by saying it worked, and the anxiety level as "themostat" is a good idea.

Having read just those few sentences, you now know a lot about me - I can grow vegetables like a madwoman so can help you learn to do that if you want to,

Some needs to help me learn that! But I think your climate probably hasn't taught you much about mine! :p

Right in the middle of what other established tarot readers in your area charge.

I need to find out what that is. All my tarot experience is online - almost all here on AT - except for a couple of readings from a professional at a (non-tarot) conference I used to go to annually.

(Speaking of that, when is the time to raise your prices? When you have so may readings you don't have time to do them all - you'll get fewer, but you'll end up making the same money overall.)

A great rule of thumb! I'll remember that.

Domain names are cheap (fifteen a year?), you can link it to your pro readings page at your current blog, and it helps people find you easier when they just have to remember "MandMaud.com" instead of "MandMaudTarot.blogspot.com" or whatever your current address is. But even if you don't want to do that right now, you can do it later and keep the current web address along with the domain name (you can set it to where both MandMaud.com AND MandMaudTarot.blogspot.com both go to the exact same page).

I don't know if I just needed to hear it and to think it x times before it sank in, but reading this now, it suddenly feels clear in my mind: I have little to lose and the only reason I haven't got myself a domain name yet is because it feels like an indulgence, a luxury, which I've been trying to justify. But as luxuries go it isn't the most extravagant and why should I justify treating myself - the old trap of needing to "deserve" it. Now that I've worked this out, I'll choose and get one just to enjoy having it, and it can turn into the "real thing" (whatever that is ;)) as gradually as it likes.

Thanks for your great encouragement!

Also thank you for the parts I haven't replied specifically too, but every word is helpful.

MandMaud

If you're thinking about it, go ahead and do it. That's the sign you're ready.

That's a new definition of 'ready'! :) I like it. I will think like that. :D

The one thing I would offer as advice is add a touch of theater. Use East Indian fabrics or reading mats like Tarot by Seven makes. I'm not connected to her by any means but when I see readers doing videos of readings on uncleaned beige carpets or dingy kitchen tables something inside me dies. This is a big event in these people's lives, the stage dressing acknowledges that.

I hadn't thought about it like that, but I see your point now you say it. My personal taste is for the minimalist, but that can be elegant or it can be cheap. Elegant is best, I get it!

Most of all, and you've already got this, it shows in your questions, just be in love with humanity. We don't have to get all cuddly feel good creepy about it, but we have to be gentle.

I don't know how you read that in my questions, but yes, that's how I see everyone. Except in the moments when I don't. ;) But basically the toddler (whether 15 or 50 years old) having the tantrum is just in a tizz and needs reassuring.

Read the TOS of your web provider and credit card handler carefully, will they even handle "fortune tellers" in the first place?

I would never have thought of that! Thanks, will do the fine-toothed comb thing asap!

Charging, I charge $50 half hour/$90 hour. Low enough I feel comfortable that everyone can afford my services, high enough they're not consulting for dumb questions.

How does that rate compare with the average, or the minimum, hourly wage? Or with the cost of a mobile phone or a meal in a restaurant? (It doesn't tell me much otherwise.) I feel I'll charge by the reading rather than by time spent, but I know roughly how much time I'm likely to spend on each one. But also getting a feel for local norms seems to be a necessary next step.

I'm on retainer for some clients, mostly business, where they are having me do a lot of work for them. Which brings me to another point. Diversify.

I'm a healer and can talk about chakras etc, and while I'm not an astrologer I have slowly picked up more knowledge of it than the average Joe Bloggs reading his horoscope. I seem to have a mercurial knack of gathering bits of knowledge about lots of things (Mercury being strong in my chart!). Must remember to see this as "saleable".

My fantasy planning has always covered business cards so I'm pretty ready for that.

take pride in what we do. It may not be the most ancient of professions but we sure come close. ;-)

:laugh::laugh: “Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.” ― Molière

I am a total and complete social media whore. That is one thing I do utilize completely. Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram.

Yikes, I need to get more into these. I used to be good at online networking though, but have stayed away from it for a while with a bit too much other life going on.

I haven't got a network in the real, non-internet world - at least, not locally. My social circle is all over the country, and all over the world, but most of them don't know I'm into tarot or anything remotely "woowoo"; locally, I'm just rebuilding a social life, building a new one in fact, after several years' isolation from illness. This is why I'm torn between impatience and recognising that my return to the world is actually rocketing steeply; it isn't long since I couldn't get out by myself at all. But I don't know how to introduce the subject of reading the cards in the middle of general small talk with people I don't yet know very well!

One thing that's nice, and this might work for more people, is to be really open and supportive with other readers in your area that are still "getting their feet wet" as it were.

This is something I found out when networking online, this is the only way. As long as it's sincere generosity from a feeling that we're all on the same side, not covert rivalry.

As for friends, my idea is to do a "friend discount" and make it very clear so they're very aware they're getting it. I did that with a spot of copywriting, itemised on the invoice. Also I've wondered about a "first reading discount" or maybe a "pay for three, get the fourth free" kind of loyalty scheme. For when I'm busier, probably.

I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I love reading. I think everyone should give it a go. Yeah, it's scary to think about and there's all those "what ifs?" but that's all they are. Cross them off, tell them to kick rocks and have some fun.

It's great that you're rambling, exactly what i need, people's random thoughts arising from their experiences with this. My doubts aren't around the reading at all, especially if I begin with online only (though heaven knows if I'd get any custom that way), but are all about the "business" and "marketing" side. I suppose I'll have to trust that as long as I stay honest and remember to keep checking with myself whether I'm taking on too much, it will pan out ok.

Fun I do know how to do. :p

It's really good that this thread woke up again and gave me a prod. Things move slowly in my world, as I've said, but once they're rolling they do get there. :D

LindaMechele

You're sweet! I come by the teaching thing honestly - both my parents were and I am a teacher in my present job as well, teaching people how to garden and giving classes at the garden center. I absolutely love it.

Brace yourself - this is a long post. But there were so many things I wanted to comment on. (Of course there is - I'm an Aries. :joke:) And like Mark Twain said, "I would have written you a shorter letter, but I didn't have time." ;)

I haven't gone ahead - yet. A combination of travel, house guests, house repairs, being poorly, laptop being poorly, and various other time-consuming stuff.
It'll happen when it's supposed to. I'm sure you know this: There's a world of gray area between "not working towards it at all" and "pushing it, forcing it, NOW, full-tilt-boogie". I have a lot of irons in the fire myself, working on each slowly and comfortably as I feel like it or the need arises. I like doing things that way. Less stress = happy Linda, and that's a good thing, not just for me, but for anyone near me (remember - I'm an Aries :joke:).

I have thought of pretty much the same thing, though maybe one or two a month as my limit initially. I have health conditions that take up time; I'm used to thinking in terms of weeks where others think days. It's good that you reinforce the thought by saying it worked, and the anxiety level as "themostat" is a good idea.
It most definitely works. I have learned now (finally!) in my middle age (I'm 46) that if something gives me anxiety, there's a message in there. Sometimes it's that I'm supposed to take a closer look at why and maybe work on rooting out that cause inside myself, but most times it's that I'm pushing myself too hard and need to slow down to care for myself a bit. We all deserve that - to take care of ourselves.

Some needs to help me learn that! But I think your climate probably hasn't taught you much about mine! :p
:joke: Nope! Gardening in Texas is a whole 'nother animal from other places. It's a full-contact sport down here! :joke:

I need to find out what that is. All my tarot experience is online - almost all here on AT - except for a couple of readings from a professional at a (non-tarot) conference I used to go to annually.
Your area doesn't have to be your geographical area - maybe it's your "online" area? With that in mind, maybe peruse the threads in the advertising section here to scope out the prices, also on Ebay and Etsy?

I have little to lose and the only reason I haven't got myself a domain name yet is because it feels like an indulgence, a luxury, which I've been trying to justify. But as luxuries go it isn't the most extravagant and why should I justify treating myself - the old trap of needing to "deserve" it. Now that I've worked this out, I'll choose and get one just to enjoy having it, and it can turn into the "real thing" (whatever that is ;)) as gradually as it likes.
Yes! As you know but it helps to hear: you don't have to justify it, you deserve it just because you do! When I got mine, it felt like I was "legit". :joke: Gave me quite the boost. And made it ever so much easier to tell someone how to find me even without business cards or pen and paper handy, since a short and catchy domain name is easier for clients to remember than a long blog url.

Thanks for your great encouragement!

Also thank you for the parts I haven't replied specifically too, but every word is helpful.
You are so very welcome. You can return the favor when it's my turn. :joke: Yes, I "fantasy plan" hitting the road in my vintage travel trailer, making the fair rounds and being a street reader in whatever quaint little town looks promising and fun. :p

I hadn't thought about it like that, but I see your point now you say it. My personal taste is for the minimalist, but that can be elegant or it can be cheap. Elegant is best, I get it!
Acephale is right on with adding a bit of theater. It doesn't have to be expensive either. The gold fabric under the cards in this photo and this one is a shower curtain I picked up at a resale shop for five bucks. :joke: Add a couple appropriate crystals and you got yerself a pretty picture for your querent. If I received a photo like that, it'd make me feel like my reader thought a lot of me to spend some time making it special for me. And I'd be back.

I'm a healer and can talk about chakras etc, and while I'm not an astrologer I have slowly picked up more knowledge of it than the average Joe Bloggs reading his horoscope. I seem to have a mercurial knack of gathering bits of knowledge about lots of things (Mercury being strong in my chart!). Must remember to see this as "saleable".
Yes again! ALL of your talents are saleable to someone who doesn't have that talent, but wants the benefit of it. I never in my life thought that my country-upbringing knowledge of growing tomatoes and raising chickens, something I was bullied for in school, would end up being worth a lot of money. :joke: It still blows my mind that it's worth seventy five bucks an hour, and blows it a little more that I've been thinking of raising it to ninety-five at the urging of more than one of my clients.

:laugh::laugh: “Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.” ― Molière
:joke: :joke: :joke:

But I don't know how to introduce the subject of reading the cards in the middle of general small talk with people I don't yet know very well!
Maybe if they ask what you do for a living? Or if they say, "We should get together sometime!" reply with, "Yes, let's! Call me." as you hand them a business card? Just letting it happen naturally works for me quite well.

It's really good that this thread woke up again and gave me a prod. Things move slowly in my world, as I've said, but once they're rolling they do get there. :D
Slow and steady really does win the race.

acephale

Yeah, Linda has it down. (Sorry I referred to you as RH earlier, redneck hippie stuck in my head since I grew up in Vt where my grandmother owned a dairy farm so we were all indentured servants). Her advice on a short and snappy domain name is gold. Keep an eye out because they are opening new domains all the time. I was on the subway one time and noticed an ad saying that .nyc domains were opening and they were selling them for $15. I jumped even though I still had over a year left on my old domain, because that was a large and kind of unwieldy one. Now it's just my name.nyc. I mean how easy is that? Keep your eyes peeled and you'll spot deals. It's like when a friend buys a new car and up until then you never noticed that make of car, now you see them all the time. Search your area online for this type of thing because I realize my advice has been very area-centric, but once you start digging, you'll see opportunities everywhere.

acephale

Oh, and as far as bringing it up, you don't even have to. People will do it for you. Linda is exactly right. People always always always ask other people what they do for a living when they first meet them. (Of course I realize this is area-centric as well, but also true in every country I've traveled in). And once people find that out, you're set for life. You're unusual, you do something outside the norm. Doesn't matter what it is, you could train fleas, people will introduce you as THE flea trainer. Just own it.

MandMaud

Brace yourself - this is a long post. But there were so many things I wanted to comment on. (Of course there is - I'm an Aries. :joke:) And like Mark Twain said, "I would have written you a shorter letter, but I didn't have time." ;)
I thought that was Blaise Pascal - it used to be my email sig. :laugh:
Long posts and lots of comments are exactly what everyone wants for their questions!

It'll happen when it's supposed to. I'm sure you know this: There's a world of gray area between "not working towards it at all" and "pushing it, forcing it, NOW, full-tilt-boogie". I have a lot of irons in the fire myself, working on each slowly and comfortably as I feel like it or the need arises. I like doing things that way. Less stress = happy Linda, and that's a good thing, not just for me, but for anyone near me (remember - I'm an Aries :joke:).
My ex is an Aries, but I'll forgive you. :D Anyway that principle of going at the speed that the projects wants is alien to him, simply wouldn't compute - everything is full-tilt and must be forced if it hasn't happened the day before he decides he needs it. :rolleyes: So there's more to it than Sun sign, as we know.

It most definitely works. I have learned now (finally!) in my middle age (I'm 46) that if something gives me anxiety, there's a message in there.
Middle age starts at 55, how dare you. Actually, I'm 48 and it still feels a good ten years away so I'm revising my expectation. But it sounds like you and I have followed a similar learning curve.

:joke: Nope! Gardening in Texas is a whole 'nother animal from other places. It's a full-contact sport down here! :joke:
Actually I'm into succulents - indoors! - and have wanted to come over there for the sake of seeing them really being themselves. I got zone envy. :p

Your area doesn't have to be your geographical area - maybe it's your "online" area? With that in mind, maybe peruse the threads in the advertising section here to scope out the prices, also on Ebay and Etsy?
I keep forgetting Etsy, yes - and hadn't even thought of eBay. Right-o!

And made it ever so much easier to tell someone how to find me even without business cards or pen and paper handy, since a short and catchy domain name is easier for clients to remember than a long blog url.
That's a really good point. I'm torn between using my own name (which people mishear on the phone as it is) or something positive, pithy, and easy to spell. But everything positive and pithy I've dreamt up so far turned out to be dating websites(!) except one that was a golf course.

Acephale is right on with adding a bit of theater. It doesn't have to be expensive either. The gold fabric under the cards in this photo and this one is a shower curtain I picked up at a resale shop for five bucks. :joke: Add a couple appropriate crystals and you got yerself a pretty picture for your querent. If I received a photo like that, it'd make me feel like my reader thought a lot of me to spend some time making it special for me. And I'd be back.
I like your style of cunning! And yes, it looks gorgeous. (Which deck is that by the way? Two different editions by the look of it.)

Maybe if they ask what you do for a living? Or if they say, "We should get together sometime!" reply with, "Yes, let's! Call me." as you hand them a business card? Just letting it happen naturally works for me quite well.
These are good ideas - and I do find that with a couple of examples, my own ideas begin to arrive too. So thank you again, that will start me off. :) No one asks what I do for a living at the moment, as my new social circle is all retired people and I'm there as an honorary retired person by dint of being on disability! Which indicates there's another new social circle round the corner...

Her advice on a short and snappy domain name is gold. Keep an eye out because they are opening new domains all the time. I was on the subway one time and noticed an ad saying that .nyc domains were opening and they were selling them for $15. I jumped even though I still had over a year left on my old domain, because that was a large and kind of unwieldy one. Now it's just my name.nyc. I mean how easy is that? Keep your eyes peeled and you'll spot deals. It's like when a friend buys a new car and up until then you never noticed that make of car, now you see them all the time. Search your area online for this type of thing because I realize my advice has been very area-centric, but once you start digging, you'll see opportunities everywhere.

I had a look at yours and yes, I noticed the .nyc - it is amazing how many suffixes are out there now. I was thinking of .org maybe. I believe .uk exists now, though people will remember that as .co.uk; Joe Bloggs is terribly bad at remembering anything they don't already know. But I hadn't thought of local domains - more local than the UK, I mean. More and more to explore, thanks! :)

MandMaud

Oh, and as far as bringing it up, you don't even have to. People will do it for you. Linda is exactly right. People always always always ask other people what they do for a living when they first meet them. (Of course I realize this is area-centric as well, but also true in every country I've traveled in). And once people find that out, you're set for life. You're unusual, you do something outside the norm. Doesn't matter what it is, you could train fleas, people will introduce you as THE flea trainer. Just own it.

Didn't notice this little post. Yes, people do. That must true (glad I'm not a flea trainer) so yes, I only need the nerve to open the shutters I suppose.

I have a huge block about people from my past life/lives (in this life, I mean - people who knew me at uni and before I had kids, and when the kids were small, and pretty well anyone who knew me before I lost my health and started on this path of discovering what really matters). I'm not ok about just writing them off as part of a life that's no longer mine, though overall that past really is no longer my life; and I haven't got satisfactory replies when they can't believe that someone as logical and intelligent as me (!) has got "drawn into" all this hocus pocus BS... y'know. Satisfactory to me, that is; my own responses don't hold water to my own ears. Just "Feels right for me at this time, and that's all I need to know" doesn't answer the very valid questions.

(That's probably a bigger block than the thing about asking money for what I do for fun, all that hang-up that loads of us have. I'm pretty much through that hang-up.)