What a horrible deck!

gregory

You aren't OLD enough to pull that one ducky..... "all those years ago" is for people like me (wheeze creak)

But I don't actually agree with you - though will post more when I SEE it - it is hard to tell with online images ! I may run it by a couple of teens I know....

Lillie

I feel that old!

Of course I too am only going by the few cards I have seen, and some are hard to make out.

But still, it looks (to me) like a suicidal Anne Rice fan has been having a good time.

This sort of thing does not make everyone laugh.
But I had a giggle.
The death card, with the blood 'I'm sorry'.
It's so corny.

I don't know. I used to write suicide notes in my own blood.
So. Yeah, bin there, done that, bled on the T shirt.
I look back and laugh.

gregory

Maybe those of us who weren't Goths don't have the same feeling about it ? If I could have been bothered I would have been a Mod....! (and when I did try and top myself, I might well have written a note in blood if it had occurred to me. Actually mine was in crayon. You don't think of The Note till you are well into the process, in my experience.....)

NB to anyone who sees this post as me in agony of depression - don't ! I was deeply upset to have failed at the time, but it was over 40 years ago and I have moved on !!!!

noby

I too went through a "dark" and suicidal phase as a teenager (which is not that terribly long ago for me, but far enough in the past that I am in a totally different place now), and can see that if I had been into tarot back then, such a deck as this might have appealed to me. But then again, I've never liked intellectual sloppiness, and I don't see a clear or illuminating presentation of the archetypes here. This deck does not offend me with its darkness or violence, but simply strikes me as dull--in the sense of being boring as well as in the sense of not presenting that bright an understanding of archetypes, the tarot, or life in general.

gregory

I'm waiting till I see it to judge on that - the cards on line are so dark (literally) that I can't yet be sure what images ARE there ! Which is very frustrating !

noby

Yeah, they are pretty hard to make out. I'm judging from the mix of what images are there and the descriptions / analyses of them offered in the reviews.

gregory

I'm also going on personal communication with the reviewer - which makes me think there MAY be more to it all. If you are trying to explore the darker side, maybe you need to change symbols... I'll let you know my spin on it when it shows up - but I imagine it will be mailed surface and it will take ages .....

Lillie

Well, I guess a lot of people get depressed, and it takes up all different ways.

Just to be clear, the notes in blood were just for 'fun', or 'fun' as I percieved it at the time.
The time I really tried I wrote a big long letter (in biro). Then woke up the next morning and had to get rid of it before anyone found it!
Like you said, Gregory, it was a long time ago.

But recently we happened to be in Whitby, visiting relatives of His. And it happend to be Goth weekend. Totally unexpected.
The town was teeming with them. Some really amazing clothes.

The shops were curious too. loads of really expensive goth stuff.
It made me realise how little had changed in the last 20 years, although the whole Anne Rice thing has really had an influence, and so have people like Maryilyn Manson. (He's funny, isn't he? I love the way people get so wound up about him. And his real name is Brian, I think. Which is even funnier)

This deck, the little I have seen, reminds me of all three of these things, goths, MM, and Anne rice books.
Oh, and sort of piercing, body mod things, there is a flavour of that about it too.
It also seems to be trying so hard,
And achieving relativley little.
The main thing I see when I look at a lot of the cards is the dimness that means I can't quite make stuff out, and the general untidyness.

But perhaps one day I will see the whole deck, and perhaps I will change my mind about it.

I don't expect many people will agree with my perception of it, but, for me, there is a bit of a nostalgia thing going on there.

truelighth

gregory said:
I'm waiting till I see it to judge on that - the cards on line are so dark (literally) that I can't yet be sure what images ARE there ! Which is very frustrating !

Well, that is actually a big problem with this deck I think. It is not just the images online. To me, the cards were to dark to make out what was there in person to. But then, you already know that, since you read it on TP :)

Hope you can make out more then I could.

gregory

truelighth said:
Well, that is actually a big problem with this deck I think. It is not just the images online. To me, the cards were too dark to make out what was there in person too. But then, you already know that, since you read it on TP :)

Hope you can make out more than I could.
That's part of the issue - you said in your review that the cards are poor quality, so I wonder if some prints will be better than others.... We shall see....!