What Are These Symbols?

Abrac

Does anyone know what these creatures in the four corners of this book cover are? Apparently they represent the elements, but what are they? Are they purely a Crowleyan invention or do they come from some other source? Any help appreciated.

Symbols

thinbuddha

They remind me of Indonesian demon masks, like the one attached.

Attachments

• demon.jpg
    demon.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 135

Abrac

They do look demonic to me. I actually did find where they came from. In the book The Mystery Traditions by James Wasserman, there is a picture of a painting by J.F.C. Fuller called The Portal of the Second Order, 1909, in which the creatures are in the four corners. According to Wasserman, they are the cherubic 'angels' of the four elements. Fuller may have drawn inspiration from Indonesian sources or possibly The Golden Dawn.

Fuller Painting

Pook

The creatures, I honestly dont know, but the triangles in each of thier mouths do represent the elements. Top/left is fire; top/right is earth; bottom/right is air; and bottom/left is water.

Alpha-Omega

Pook said:
The creatures, I honestly dont know, but the triangles in each of thier mouths do represent the elements. Top/left is fire; top/right is earth; bottom/right is air; and bottom/left is water.

lol I was going to write the same thing. I noticed the triangles as well.