What Can We See With Tarot?

jmd

In the thread Discerning sexuality using tarot, Helvetica responds to a comment, much of the sentiment with which I am in total agreement, and other parts I simply question.

Where I totally agree is in the response that
It's really not anyone's business what someone else chooses to ask the tarot. We might think it daft, or intrusive, or not very useful in some circumstances, or unwise - but at the end of the day, a reading is a personal decision.​

Further, no 'rules' can account for the ethical dimension present in each instance one faces.

The paragraph of her ensuing post is, however, undoubtedly going to become one of those classic statements that will undoubtedly be quoted again and again - a classic encapsulating an essential quality about a particular view of Tarot reading:
Reading tarot is not hacking or going through someone's personal drawers. It's simply nowhere as intrusive. It's such a fantasy to think we have that power - a fantasy we see repeated in all these ethical threads. Most people aren't good enough readers to see beyond generalities - true psychics are rare and most don't need cards to see things! Nine times out of ten, the cards show us what we already know, but are hiding from ourselves or haven't yet brought to consciousness. The tenth time the cards read like nonsense. Do you see someone's underwear or bank account number in the cards?

This stuff is simply too wonderful to remain hidden within the treasures of another thread!

Let's have a look at the comment, and digest its delights - and in my case spit out a couple of pips (even if the chef deliciously planted them).
  • cards showing what we already know
    This aspect, in the context of the rest of the sentence, is using tarot to act as a bridge to bring to consciousness certain thoughts, sequences, etc., that one may otherwise continue to suppress in some way or other.

A good discussion with a skilful listener may also have the same effect.

Though tarot certainly has that dimension to it, and though it may be used in that manner by many people, I personally question that this is 'nine times out of ten' (or even four times!). Rather, it seems, to me at least, to reflect those who prefer to use tarot in a more psychological than divinatory manner.​
  • readers seeing beyond generalities
    Many times (but certainly not all), a reading may indeed go far beyond expected generalities, with very specific detail being spoken that also appear to go beyond the card (I say 'appear' for in many ways, each reading goes beyond the 'mere' image).

Much of this has to do with three factors. Firstly, the trust that the reader places in his or her narrative to boldly and bravely speak rather than re-alter what may be about to be spoken in more general terms. Saying, for example, 'a little bird is sad and feeling abandoned whilst the rivers of life flow swiftly by' is metaphorically very precise, and not general (only reflecting on a card I was looking at in the last two days, by the way, and NOT doing a specific reading for anyone!!!).​
  • distribution of psychics in our community
    Personally, I consider that we all have general 'psychic' abilities. To temper this with clarity of thought, developed language skills (oration), and life experience both sharpens and blunts simultaneously.

Part of the developed usage of Tarot as divinatory oracle is in developing discernment to that small still voice within (something very much in the domain of the oral and inspirational) from an increased clarity of developed imagination (in the domain of precise imagination).

In all this, again, that important element of trusting one's own developing narrative, in light of the sensitivity to the specific situation and the people concerned (that is, in light also of the specific individuals and the moral dimensions of the reading-at-hand) - all these become importantly central.​

Tarot, then, or at least for myself, is a tool that can and (often) does go beyond the generalities to quite specific details (though I do tend to agree that numbers, dates or time in particular seem to be excessively difficult). Where some have problems with this is that they view it in the same manner as any tools that may assist in 'remote' viewing.

Leah Whitehorse

Re: Beyond generalities

Hi
For me tarot certainly goes way beyond generalities. In fact if I read for someone and it didn't I would stop the reading! My cards are there as a tool for divination. I would agree that many times the cards can tell us what we already know but in a way that shows us the greater pattern and gives us a new perspective and way of understanding. It depends on what is needed for the querant.

I had once experience years ago where the cards prompted remote viewing. I don't usually 'see' with my eyes but get pictures in my mind and hear spirit. This time however I had the strong sensation of rushing movement and suddenly I could see the lady I was reading for (it was over the phone), the dress she was wearing and the sewing machine she sat beside. This single experience confirmed to me that this ability is there to be tapped into.

The cards can sometimes give incredibly specific information. One time I read for a lady who had lost her dog (she believed she had been stolen). After looking for a couple of week she decided to have a reading. The Moon card was at the centre of the reading and it kept drawing me back and drawing me back and still apart from the general meanings I usually attribute to it I couldn't get to why that card was shouting to me.

It was at the end of the reading I finally discovered the dogs name - Lunar!

Bright Blessings
Leah

Horace

We can see how are lives can be made easier. I, too, mentioned how I use the Tarot as my bridge. I believe I knew my 'lesson plan' before I chose this life to best learn it. The Tarot helps me to focus on what my Spirit already knows, but has no way of telling me that I can hear in the physical. I knew this a long time ago, but thought I knew better than anybody. My life was full of stress.
With age, happily, comes wisdom. If I'm walking around work snarling, with an attitude, I'll remember my daily was the MG Knight of Rods with the fire-breathing dragon on his head and the rod on his shoulder like a 'chip'. The Tarot reminded that words are included in 'Harm No-one'. Without that picture association, my day was too busy to see that, and catch it before I was mean. That's how I SEE Tarot... Hh

Sophie

Maybe I should learn to keep my trap shut and be content with my 6000+ posts, but since I haven't yet - and jmd has quoted my words to start this thread - I thought I'd comment a bit on his comments.

jmd said:
cards showing what we already know
This aspect, in the context of the rest of the sentence, is using tarot to act as a bridge to bring to consciousness certain thoughts, sequences, etc., that one may otherwise continue to suppress in some way or other.

Though tarot certainly has that dimension to it, and though it may be used in that manner by many people, I personally question that this is 'nine times out of ten' (or even four times!). Rather, it seems, to me at least, to reflect those who prefer to use tarot in a more psychological than divinatory manner.​
Well, I will stand by what I wrote - but maybe substitute "in many cases", rather than some arbitrarily picked figure of "nine times out of ten". I use tarot for prediction as well as for psychological exploration, brainstorming, meditation, etc. - and find that a querent is rarely surprised by a prediction. It all too often seems to confirm what the querent (including myself) already suspects. Of course there will always be the suprised car crash: "Chariot, Tower, 10 of Swords" - yikes, avoid travelling at the moment! But on the whole, people seem to "know" (unconsciously) when a relationship is heading for the wall or the wedding canopy, when a loved one's illness is probably past cure, or if they'll lose their job in the current round. I believe very strongly in human intuition - in men and in women - which is often only masked by fear or wishful thinking. But when confronted with a "sorry, darling, but this boyfriend is not The One", will sigh and agree that it's not looking too good. It can be a great relief, actually.

jmd said:
readers seeing beyond generalities
Many times (but certainly not all), a reading may indeed go far beyond expected generalities, with very specific detail being spoken that also appear to go beyond the card (I say 'appear' for in many ways, each reading goes beyond the 'mere' image).​
Maybe I should have said what I meant by generalities. The quote was made in the context of someone comparing a tarot reading to hacking or spying on someone. I don't for one minute believe that any but the most skillful and gifted of psychics will get to know as much about me using tarot cards as by hacking my computer or spying on my comings and goings and going through my personal effects. I don't believe that someone can intrude on one's inner thoughts and feelings against one's will. Quite honestly, if someone really doesn't want me, or any other tarot reader, to know something about themselves, then I won't find it out. That said, I believe querents often do want to be "found out" - as I said above, it can be a great relief for someone to be able to say - "yes, you're right, I have trouble with my Dad. In fact, I hate him for what he did to Mum".

These, to me, are generalities, in the sense that they are common human experiences. I have received very few readings in my life that were so specific to me that I was taken aback. I can think of only one - and it was given me by a psychic, for whom tarot cards were a mere prop. But that does not lessen the quality of a tarot reading. Many of our experiences are common human experiences. What makes the quality of a tarot reading, to me, is whether a reader recognises that for that querent, his experience looks and feels particular. Maybe the tarot reader has had half a dozen querents that week that didn't get on with their fathers, but for each one of them, the experience is unique. That is how a tarot reading can be both "general" - i.e. deal with common human experiences like falling in love or having trouble with parents - and particular - deal with that querent's particular experience.

jmd said:
Saying, for example, 'a little bird is sad and feeling abandoned whilst the rivers of life flow swiftly by' is metaphorically very precise, and not general (only reflecting on a card I was looking at in the last two days, by the way, and NOT doing a specific reading for anyone!!!).
Haha - well, you know that little bird very well of course, jmd ;) -yes, it's a precise image, but also - general. It's every bird's experience to have, at times, felt sad and abandoned whilst the rivers of life flowed swiftly by. For that bird, it is particular. For a reader, it is general - but he must treat it as particular.

For the rest, I agree wholeheartedly with what jmd wrote.

I have to add that to me, a tarot reading is a way of accessing the divine. That is also a reason I don't think we can use it to snoop. The divine won't allow it.​

ribbitcat

Helvetica said:
I have to add that to me, a tarot reading is a way of accessing the divine. That is also a reason I don't think we can use it to snoop. The divine won't allow it.

I'm not here to get into the ethical thing again :) but to ask, does the divine not allow it regardless of the reader ? If the reader doesn't believe in the divine, and uses tarot in a way(s) totally opposite to spiritually ...does the divine intervene to prevent an atheist from using tarot for nefarious purposes, say ?

Curious :)

ribbitcat

Sophie

ribbitcat said:
I'm not here to get into the ethical thing again :) but to ask, does the divine not allow it regardless of the reader ? If the reader doesn't believe in the divine, and uses tarot in a way(s) totally opposite to spiritually ...does the divine intervene to prevent an atheist from using tarot for nefarious purposes, say ?
Well, this is personal belief only - but I believe it to be quite impossible, whether the reader believes in the divine or not. The fact a reader does not recognise the divine does not make the divine disappear. The divine is logical :D

firemaiden

This is a very juicy discussion. I'm enjoying it. I hope no one can see into my underwear drawer using tarot cards or otherwise. But please let me know if you can, I'll tidy it up. I'm not sure what "the divine" means, other than being code name for God. As in our other "God" discussion, I just don't buy the image of a blue/purple/green capped creature on a blue cloud, looking down at your cards, and saying "oh whoops, there goes Helvetica again, admiring Firemaiden's lingerie, naughty girl, that's a NO NO, it's curtains for this reading..." .

Sorry... but if by "the Divine" you mean, the great universal energy source, or the flowing river of humming we can all tap into through breath and being very quiet, well then, I would venture a guess that this source doesn't traffic in logic.

Sophie

And I would venture a guess that your lingerie drawer is worthy of the greatest admiration, Firemaiden, so I should hope the great capped figure would allow me just a peek ;)

Logic? Nature is logical, so why not the energy that moves it?

Pippa

Finding a theme within the readings

Has anyone had the experience of finding a theme running through the readings of local clients? For instance, regardless of the client's question being related to love, family, health or money, wouldn't a local disaster such as the Katrina flood cause a reader to be able to reflect on some greater pending situation?
I have not experienced this but wonder if perhaps there was journalled evidence from New Orleans readers that foreseen the water rising based on themes coming out of the local clients readings?

tmgrl2

jmd said:
  • cards showing what we already know

• readers seeing beyond generalities
    Many times (but certainly not all), a reading may indeed go far beyond expected generalities, with very specific detail being spoken that also appear to go beyond the card (I say 'appear' for in many ways, each reading goes beyond the 'mere' image).

Much of this has to do with three factors. Firstly, the trust that the reader places in his or her narrative to boldly and bravely speak rather than re-alter what may be about to be spoken in more general terms. Saying, for example, 'a little bird is sad and feeling abandoned whilst the rivers of life flow swiftly by' is metaphorically very precise, and not general (only reflecting on a card I was looking at in the last two days, by the way, and NOT doing a specific reading for anyone!!!).​
  • distribution of psychics in our community
    Personally, I consider that we all have general 'psychic' abilities. To temper this with clarity of thought, developed language skills (oration), and life experience both sharpens and blunts simultaneously.

Part of the developed usage of Tarot as divinatory oracle is in developing discernment to that small still voice within (something very much in the domain of the oral and inspirational) from an increased clarity of developed imagination (in the domain of precise imagination).

In all this, again, that important element of trusting one's own developing narrative, in light of the sensitivity to the specific situation and the people concerned (that is, in light also of the specific individuals and the moral dimensions of the reading-at-hand) - all these become importantly central.​

Tarot, then, or at least for myself, is a tool that can and (often) does go beyond the generalities to quite specific details (though I do tend to agree that numbers, dates or time in particular seem to be excessively difficult). Where some have problems with this is that they view it in the same manner as any tools that may assist in 'remote' viewing.

I wanted to cut and paste your post, jmd, since I wholeheartedly agree with each of your points!! ....I'm going to print out the three areas of the topic and the summary.

My view correlates with yours across the board here....although I could use some clarification on what you mean when you mean by "precise imagination."

t