What decks look more...professional?

MareSaturni

Okay, i have this problem.

I always have a problem mind you.

I have a collection of deck...some of the deck are mostly, i admit, for art, because i'm an art lover. But some...while i truly enjoy reading with them, i think they wouldn't look very professional to read 'out there'.

I want to choose some decks of my collection, not many, probably two or three, to get better acquainted with, in order to better read with them for others. But i have a hard time choosing...should i take the one i know i read best with but that looks kinda silly to read for others? I don't want to feel (too) silly in front of the sitter, i already have other self-confidence problem to take care of.

Or should i pick the more 'classic' ones like one RWS and one Marseilles, and use just them? I'm still waiting for 1JJ Swiss, it seems like it's never going to arrive :(

What do you think? And, if you don't mind, what decks do you use? I want to have this small, but trustworthy, selection of good decks for reading. I just can't picture myself & Shapshifter or Oracle Tarot in a coffee shop waiting for the sitter...as much as i like both decks when reading for myself!

Grizabella

I think you should read with the decks you're most comfortable with. Looks are superficial and, in my opinion, are a secondary consideration. Your ability to "hear" the message that's in the cards for your sitter depends on your ease and comfort with the cards you're using. The most important concern is to be, as Umbrae says, the "postman for the Universe", not how you look or what cards you use. Your sitter is interested in the message, not what cards you use. :)

I came back to add that there's certainly nothing wrong with getting to know other decks till you're at ease with them. Don't get me wrong. But always stick with the ones you know best when reading for others professionally. To ask a professional fee and then tell a sitter "Ummm, hope you don't mind but I'm still getting used to this deck" or fumbling with the reading isn't cool. :) They'll probably feel they're not quite getting their money's worth.

Elven

I agree with Solitaire, that the deck you read from should be something you feel comfortable reading with yourself. A deck that allows you to 'speak easy', with clarity for the sitter. The deck itself will look 'different' to every person you read for - so a 'Professional Reader' with a deck, is better than a 'professional looking deck' with a reader ;) if you get my drift.

I read with a variety of decks professionally. I also ask the sitter to choose the deck from which they have their reading (on 95% of occassions) - they can choose which deck by either looking through the different decks, or they can just point to one they like ... I feel comfortable reading with the ones I make available to read with.

I make a variety availabe from all my decks, but only take about 6 Tarot Decks and 2 Oracles + 1 book for bibliomancy. They arent all that much to carry to a cafe in a basket (which I have downsizedconsiderably now, since starting - because I have a feel for what works) .... but usually something like ....
- Thoth, RWS, TdM (variety), Gilded, RW, DaVinci, LoTR, MM, Minute, New Vision, Fairytale, Cats ... quite a variety - from art based, fun, movie, traditional, Majors only, Animal based ... as for Oracles, it depends what I feel is right for the day - weather it be stones, cards, symbols ...

I keep my cards on my cafe reading table in attractive boxes and bags, neatly aligned with a nice reading mat/cloth, a sign with my name on it, price and time duration of the reading, and a welcoming smile for those who approach the table to enquire.

If you are trying to get a professional look - it can start in the 'approach' you have towards your public reading display ... but the 'professionalism' well, I think thats in the act of reading to your best ability with the sitter. The way you listen to them, and attend to their reading from start to end, and beyond.

Just some thoughts

Cheers
Elven x

Sheri

At the reading fairs I have been to, I have only taken 3 decks. The Golden Tarot, the Mystical Lenormand, and the Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling cards. I like the Golden because it has good "curb appeal" the gilding on the edges is attractive, and the cards don't scare anyone. Sometimes I will use all three with one client - with each focusing on a different area as the reading progresses.

I usually have the Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling cards out in a reading layout (a 5 card by 5 card matrix) as it is also very striking and people are attracted to the colors.

I found that the readers that read with unique things in addition to Tarot seem to get the most walk up business, so the past 2 fairs I was at I didn't even use the Tarot and only used my oracles.

I agree with Solitaire* and Elven - the most important thing is that YOU feel professional with your deck, so choose one or more that you are really comfortable with. A potential client will walk right past you if you seem to be unsure of yourself.

:love: valeria

MareSaturni

Thank you for all the ideas everyone :)

You know, i fear that somewhat the sitter might judge me for the deck. I've had one person to tell me the cards i were using (i think it was the Fergus Hall tarot?) looked 'childish', not very serious. But i don't know if the person thought it was good or not...but it left me wondering...what if they pay attention to the cards more than we even expect?

Maybe this person expected me to pull from my bag a classic Marseilles or RWS, like they have seen in movies. Although the Fargus Hall appears on a movie...maybe they aren't James Bond fans, uh? Okay, i'm getting OT.

I'll probably use my Mythic, which is one of my favorite RWS-style decks (and my oldest...it's looks worn and is good to 'play with') and a deck with non-scenic pips, possibly a Marseilles one. Of course, i also have the classic RWS, which i also love. The only kind of deck i can't use is Thoth because...we don't get along very well...

Although Thoth tends to cause quite a impression here where i live, if the person knows a bit about tarot. Like OMG! you read Thoth!!111 No i don't, i just own the deck...

Thanks, again :)

Elven

The Mythic is a beautiful deck, and if you feel comfy with it, well GO FOR IT!! :p
Have fun Marina!
and be kind to yourself when you're reading.
There will always be someone to upset the applecart along the way ... make sweet apple pies with the bruised ones :p

Cheers
Elven x

Umbrae

Whatever feels good on 'that day' is what you should read with.

For me it changes. I've used TdM, WCS, Japanese Egyptian, CH Thoth, ITT, Swiss 1jj, Aquarian, Belline, Boho Gothic...

It really doesn't matter, as long as you feel comfortable with it, and its imagery.

marybham

Which decks to read with

Some great ideas and great posts.

I usually take at least 3 or 4 decks and let my clients choose whichever one they like the look of best. Depending on where I'm reading I tend to stick with "safe" looking decks . . . i.e. no/limited nudity.

Some favourites are:

Rider Waite (of course!)
Lo Scarabeo deck (I love this one)
Lo Scarabeo's Pictorial Key
Hanson Roberts
Morgan Greer
Victorian Romantic
Aquarian (very popular)
and for people who are a bit unsure of Tarot . . .

the Bright Idea Deck works brilliantly. Very practical and down to earth.

I agree though that if someone is paying for a professional reading then I wouldn't take a deck I didn't feel comfortable with.

Having said that I've got quite a collection and I do like to give a few of them a good "airing".

Keeps me on my toes too! It's useful to keep in mind that usually we know a lot more about Tarot than the people we are reading for.

Mary

Michelle

I use whatever deck I am drawn to at that particular moment. It changes frequently. If I am going somewhere to read, I take several decks so that I can switch if I feel the need.

I always have my Universal Waite with me though, it's like my Tarot security blanket :).

I say use whatever you are comfortable with :heart:

Namaste,
Michelle

Shade

I'm a huge fan of Integrated Marketing Communications... which is a fancy way of saying all messages your customers receive should be consistent. I agree that the deck you use should be one you are comfortable with but since you asked about learning new decks I would say that he deck should match the look and feel of your business and reading style.

If I went to a reader who was also a Reiki energy healer I'd be surprised if she pulled out the Hermetic tarot. Similarly a reader who is also a Vodoun priestess but read with the Hanson Roberts would surprise me.

If your style is light and conversational I recommend a deck that is also light and conversational.

This is just a personal preference of mine but I always bring a RWS clone along but never the RWS itself. The reason for this is that the RWS is so popular I want as much as possible to avoid a client saying "Oh that's the deck I have" or "My sister in law reads with that deck" or having them think about the meanings they are used to when having a reading from this deck.