What Do You Do When....

Sinduction

You can't decide which deck(s) to buy?

I received a gift card for the holidays and while I do have quite a few things on my wish list, I still haven't ordered anything.

Why is there no enabling thread? I need to be enabled!!

I could get the transparent, but then I could only get the one deck. She is so pretty but I wonder if I'd use her and I hate spending that much on one deck. Or I could get two decks (druid animal and plant oracles) and a crystal ball set that I've been wanting. But I think I might just want those two decks because they are by the same artist as my other two decks (druidcraft and green man tree oracle) and I'm just being OCD because I love matching things. Or I could get two completely different decks instead.

The fact that I did not come home right away and place my order is bothering me. I've had this wish list for months. In fact, this gift card was what I most wanted for a gift. But here I am, blankly staring at my wish list.

Why can't I decide? Should I toss a coin? Ask my decks which ones they'd most like to have as a new sibling?

rwcarter

Sin,

Do you want quality or quantity?

AR and OCD are cousins ;), so I understand your pull to have a complete set.

You could look at it this way. Because of the OCD thing, you're going to get the other decks that are by the same artist anyway, whether you use the gift card or you pay for them out of your own pocket. You should use the gift card on something that you wouldn't normally buy. (And that thing just so happens to answer my quality vs quantity question above.... }) )

Rodney

motsa

To be enabled, you really have to have some idea of which you prefer, even if only by a smidgen. Otherwise, it will just bog you down more. I know the feeling. I have a number of decks in my wishlist that I can't choose between -- so I usually end up buying something that isn't on the list at all on a whim (not always with good results) when I get the urge to buy something.

Narrow down your leanings. Are you drawn more to tarot decks or oracle decks? That might help you to sort out which of the decks on your wishlist are more likely to just end up being collection items.

I wouldn't say picking the Transparent Tarot over the others is picking quality over quantity. Quality is whatever you deem valuable and may not match what someone else would deem valuable. Also, buying one item that you're not sure of with the gift card puts more pressure and expectation on that item. If it doesn't quite live up to things, then there's nothing to fall back on to ease the disappointment. On the other hand, if you buy multiple items, chances are at least one of the items will live up to your expectations even if the others don't.

(By the way, I really like the Druid Animal/Plant Oracles, but it bothers me a bit that the card backs are blue for one deck and green for the other, making it harder to combine them. If being able to use them seamlessly together is important, that might sway you a bit.)

Sinduction

How did I know what you would pick Rodney!! I've been so mad, secretly reading all your posts! :D

Motsa - That's exactly it! I've got so many tarot decks that I've been branching out to other things that I could use in addition to them. And with 3 things I'm sure to love at least one of them!

ARgh!!

rwcarter

Sinduction said:
How did I know what you would pick Rodney!! I've been so mad, secretly reading all your posts! :D
I guess I'm just transparent, huh? (Couldn't resist. I just couldn't.) })

I'm all for getting the most bang for the buck, I really am. But I'm also all for finding justifications on how to spend money I shouldn't really be spending. :D You're going to get those other decks anyway, sooner or later, right? So you might as well use your free money on something that you wouldn't normally buy.

Rodney

GreenMoonBeam

Obvious answer is to do a reading to recommend which way to go :bugeyed:
If only it was simple to use a gift certificate. LOL

rwcarter

GMB,

D'Oh! Why didn't I think of that? Just don't use either the Druidcraft or the Green Man Tree Oracle cause you know they're not gonna be objective....

Rodney

FaireMaiden

I think the temporary dilemma you're in is fairly healthy, *vbs*... To me, it's part and parcel of the excitement, the anticipation, of shopping, wishing, choosing, and then waiting for that package... There's no reason why you have to decide 'right this minute'... take your time... revel in the blessing of that gift certificate that is now making affordable a delicious treat, and enjoy the process of dreaming about which deck or decks is right for you at this time...

It's kinda like sex... oooh, the agony of prolonging, yet the ecstacy of fulfillment at last, *lol*

HearthCricket

You could take this as an excellent opportunity to build up your oracle collection, as well as fulfill the desire to have matching sets and something different and tick some off your wishlist.

Druid Animal Oracle
Druid Plant Oracle
Oracle of the Dragonfae

You can use the Druid Oracles together, together with your other Druid Oracles, or alone. And the Dragonfae reads beautifully on its own, or matching up rather nicely with any fey decks or the TofD, Gilded and Legacy of the Divine, because of its rich colours.

How is that for enabling? :D

souljourney

I'm gonna second everything HearthCricket said in her post.

The Druid Animal deck I have. It is beautiful and the companion book is very story-like also, which makes it really interesting.
Don't have the Plant deck yet... it's on my girlfriends list... anything plant is. :D
The Dragonfae I just got in a Holiday Exchange. It is lovely. Love the way the book has a "working with this Dragonfae" section for each one so there are concrete things to do. It will be one of the decks I use for my personal 2009 card draws.