What do you think "Divination" is?

JSNYC

Jenny_writer said:
AHHH but then what is intuition?
Anything not perceived through the 5 senses. Like when we "sense things", that is a function of intuition. What is déjà vu? Where does that come from? A higher part of us? Or (our connection to) something higher outside of us? Nobody knows... :D

I think Tarot and divination is our attempt to harness that, or at least learn how to use it better.

SunChariot

I once read something about deja vu in a book on reincarnation. It says that we are not just free to go on to another life after we leave the current one. But that also,since time is not an issue we can go chose to live a life at any point in time, eg in the past or even to relive our current life all over again if we were not happy enough with what we did with it. The book said that when we have a sense of deja vu, it's because we actually have lived this lifetime before and we are remembering living through that moment from the last time,

Babs

KariRoad

fait accompli

Jenny_writer said:
Do we create our personal future with our minds, by what we do or what we believe, or are we simply victims of fate? What do you think?
It is quite human to experience a thought or emotion that vanishes when we become aware of it. Our existence is not defined by our thoughts, and often thinking banishes something that occurs as a pure experiential moment. The mind is like a loudspeaker, drowning out the still, quiet voice within.

Divination cannot coexist with analysis. To think, what am I thinking, dissolves the thought. But it isn't about "a leap of faith" when we consult our psyches. It's like wiggling your toes, or taking a deep breath. It's spontaneous and natural.

Sceptics are able to trash spirituality with a few harsh words, but they offer nothing as honourable in its place. If we honour our "imaginative intuition" even for brief moments, with sincere and honest caring, we achieve something sacred, we touch the divine.

Putting it all under a microscope only works to "disprove" the validity of divination. Turning the microscope around, and looking back at the cold eye of science doesn't work to disprove the disproof either.

Skilled professionals trust their talents because they have the authority of their experience to rely on. Divination is a natural gift, and the experience of it is a pure moment. Defending the reality of the gift will not decrease the weight of denial against it, so the way to proceed is to follow the purity of the moment, the divine inspiration.

Between action and reaction there is a moment, fait accompli, after which we can only pause briefly as it fades away.

MareSaturni

I came to a moment in my life in which I do not believe in any specific "divine" - such as guides, angels, gods, spirits, higher self. I prefer to think that everything around us is divine simply because it exists in an universe in which the chances of having complex creatures and environments such as ours is so small.

That said, I think divination is like having a map.

Reading the map will show you what to expect in your path, which way is better, which one is easier, which one is more difficult... It'll help you plan ahead. But it'll not show you every bump on the road, every dangerous curve, every choice you'll need to make. And it'll not show you your whole path - a map, after all, is just the limited snapshot of one moment in space and time.

Some people spend too much time reading the signs, but do not enjoy the trip.

Divination, in my opinion, is best used when it helps you to make better choices, to look in the map of your path and see how you can make the journey of life more fulfilling. It helps you to make informed choices and changes.

It's not meant to replace life. It's not meant to protect you from it. The future shown in the cards is not meant to replace the present - it's meant to help you to understand what you are creating now.

The present is the only time that really ever matters.

Gloria Jean

SunChariot said:
I once read something about deja vu in a book on reincarnation. It says that we are not just free to go on to another life after we leave the current one. But that also,since time is not an issue we can go chose to live a life at any point in time, eg in the past or even to relive our current life all over again if we were not happy enough with what we did with it. The book said that when we have a sense of deja vu, it's because we actually have lived this lifetime before and we are remembering living through that moment from the last time,

Babs

Babs,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could remember where you read that. I am very interested as I have had some odd experiences that indicate I have done that.

Carla

Jenny_writer said:
AHHH but then what is intuition?

Intuition is direct knowledge independent of any reasoning process.

MareSaturni

Carla said:

I disagree.

Intuition is a knowledge that is so ingrained in your rational processes that you no longer need to consciously "call" it or remember it. It is there and it comes to you as soon as it is needed. That's why it seems to bypass the "reasoning process", but the very deep understanding that allows intuition to exist begins as a rational process. Ultimately they are connected.

SunChariot

Carla said:

I personally do believe this is true. It's to me like your unconscious mind hears/senses something that you have no prior knowledge of consciously and suddenly you just sense it's there and it's true and its real. To me (again to me personally) I often think it is my angels whispering what I need to know and it comes through as a feeling, a sensation, an idea that what I was told is fact. Intuition is using your 6th sense. It allows you to sense things you did not know where there. Just like when you hear a noise you might suddenly realize someone is there, even if you did not realize it before. Our 6th sense is a real sense, just like our other five that we can ues at times.

Babs

The crowned one

Carla said:

That is not intuition, that is a "God-like power" or more modestly: more likely a gene controlled process in my opinion, so a process that would not take the ability to think, or generalize (there are many types of intuitions but intuitions are often generalizations: Robins like seeds: robins are small birds: birds like seeds, I have not been directly taught that but is is a intuition based off of a bit of observation and generalization I will not even be aware of the more complex processes when I jump to these conclusions ( not a simple one like my example) and that makes it a intuition )

Direct "independent" knowledge? where does that come from? Without "reasoning"? Reasoning antonyms are not kind to that statement.

My problem with your definition is that I can find nothing that comes close your personal definition in books or my personal experiences. As a opinion I accept it but as a factual statement I can not without you expanding on it.

DrTodd

Muito Bom Marina...I like the idea of the deeply ingrained...learning theory calls this unconsciously competent, which I think links nicely with divination as well as Aristotle's notions of nous and phronesis...divination can be about tendencies, patterns, paths, and regularities that cannot be ignored...their recognition provides guidance and we navigate through life using such guidance which in itself is a constant process of a feedback loop...