What do you use to keep your cards in?

kim

Hi there,

I am Kim and a new one on this amazing site.
I was wandering where everybody keeps there cards when not in use.
I bought a beautiful silk pouch. And also a silk clotch. But is tis clotch also really nessesary? Or can you just keep them in the pouch without loosing my vibrations? And how many people also keep the cards in a wooden box besides or together with the pouch?

Kim

catlin

Hi Kim,
There are various threads on this subject, including tarot box contests, bags exchange etc.

I keep my standard reading decks in bags as I carry them with me and standard tarot boxes soon become torn.

I have some special decks I also keep in boxes, eg the World Spirit I use for tarot magick.

Fabric of the bags varies from silk, cotton, leather, boxes are either cardboard, wood or bone.

kim

Hi catlin,

Thanks again for your reply. And do you also keep more then one deck in the same box?

catlin

Yes, I have some bigger wooden boxes in which I keep the decks when I do readings on fairs (I don't leave the decks on the stall when I go to the restroom, so I have to take them with me and therefore I need a large box).

The box looks like one of those old treasure chests with brass handles and some brass decorations and a padlock. And I have some plain plywood boxes to keep my decks in.

Elven

Hi Kim :)

I keep my Tarot and Oracle cards wrapped in all sorts of materials and bags, and then place each of them in a box which I think suits them the most. If I cant find a box I like - then I make them one for that particular deck. I dont usually keep them in the cardboard boxes they come in and try to get them wrapped or pouched as soon as I can!

I have one box which holds two wrapped decks perfectly, it also holds my pendulum, a spread cloth and can hold another deck if necessary - and its not very big - all fits snugly.

Blessings
Elven x

kim

I myself keep them in a purple silk pouch and in a wooden (jewerly) box that used to belong to my grandparents. I don't know if it is the right kind of wood, but it feels right.

So how long have you all been readings tarots for?

Elven

Hi Kim - I think as long as it 'feels' right, then this is usually a good indicator that your cards are in a good resting space. Some of the boxes I have are brass, perspex, glass, bone inlay, covered in velvet - some of them were given to me, some I bought at markets, some I made from scratch. My favourite box was once run over by a bus - with the cards in it :)

So far none of the decks have complained about the box they're in! lol!! ;)

Blessings
Elven x

catlin

@ Kim: I have been reading tarot for more than 22 years.

a_shikhs

Hey Kim,
first of all welcome to AT.. :)
I keep my cards in silk and cotton pouches specially handmade by my granny..I dont use wooden boxes but am thinking of buying one in the near future. All my bags are themed according to my decks. eg: my halloween tarot is in a crochetted black bag with orange design on it as these are halloween colors. :)

Sulis

Well since I make bags and reading cloths....

The decks I read with get a little bag made by my own fair hands. I usually try to match the deck to the bag by the colours and theme of the deck.
They also get a cotton reading cloth (also made by me) which I wrap them in.

The decks I don't read with stay in their cardboard boxes and live in a chest of drawers in my bedroom.

Sulis xx