What do you want/need in a deck review?

Grizabella

Size of the cards indicated in inches, not metric measures, for those of us who don't use or even know the metric system.

And mention of the thickness of the card stock, indicated in a way that's non-judgmental (i.e. not "flimsy card stock" but just "thinner card stock" instead for instance). Some card stock is so thick it's almost impossible to shuffle and I can't use cards like that. One of the decks I really, really love used extremely thick card stock in their second edition and I've tried everything to limbre it up but it just remains impossible. I can't afford the first edition, sadly, because it's out of print now. If a deck uses extremely thick or stiff card stock, it would be nice to know that ahead of time.

Wendywu

Size of the cards indicated in inches, not metric measures, for those of us who don't use or even know the metric system.

Maybe both? Because in Europe we don't get taught inches any more. It's years since they were taught and used. I am older and still remember them, but many don't know the Imperial system at all.

I would like an idea as to thickness of cards as well, and possibly degree of lamination. I recently bought a brick consisting of what feels like 78 credit cards. I hate it and think I totally wasted €24 which I could have happily spent elsewhere on something I could have used ....

Le Fanu

The cardstock issue is, I think, impossible. I have read enough reviews, touched enough decks to know that the way people talk about cardstock is just all over the place. *Your* (generic) thin cardstock isn't my thin cardstock, your "unshuffleable" is easily shuffleable for me. I just don't take others' opinion on this into account anymore.

The only one I believe is "glossy" or "a bit glossy" but even then...

I am amazed when I read deck sizes in inches only. I can "guess" inches thinking of 7" singles (being of that generation) but there are no rulers here that have inches on and that's quite common in Europe. In the UK I think rulers still have both but in the USA do you only have inches?

Grizabella

I didn't mean to sound as if I were excluding also giving the metric measurements. Sorry about that. I just meant, please include measurements in inches for those of us who don't know the metric system. :)

As for lamination and glossiness, I don't care about that if I like a deck. For me, though, I guess a happy medium might be nice.

tarot heart

For me the most important thing is the art. Is it a collaged deck vs original artwork, etc. etc.
Even if it is original art, is it produced digitally or on paper, watercolor vs acrylic vs colored pencil. I like to know these things. :)

It's also a must to know the size in inches so I don't have to get out a ruler with cm on it :)

I agree with Le Fanu, don't even bother with the cardstock quality as it's so subjective. I have a deck that is so popular and soooo flimsy and no one even mentions how flimsy it is. So I don't pay attention to anyone's remarks about cardstock. Now if you could say the deck's cardstock is the same as the cardstock of another popular or well known deck that would be more useful.

Also useful is if the artist has a webite with sample work and information on the deck. Very helpful.

And let's not forget, if it's a hard to find deck, please include an ISBN number if there is one or at least a publisher and year.

Hope that helps a little. :)

p.s.--- OFF TOPIC ----Le Fanu--what is a 7" single? - I am so curious!!!!

Cat*

I am amazed when I read deck sizes in inches only. I can "guess" inches thinking of 7" singles (being of that generation) but there are no rulers here that have inches on and that's quite common in Europe. In the UK I think rulers still have both but in the USA do you only have inches?
I didn't mean to sound as if I were excluding also giving the metric measurements. Sorry about that. I just meant, please include measurements in inches for those of us who don't know the metric system. :)
May I suggest bookmarking a site like this one http://www.manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm to both of you? :)
Personally, I use a measuring tape that has inches on one side and centimeters on the other for non-digital conversions between the two. But those aren't standard issue in Europe, and especially not in non-English speaking countries. We only have centimeters.

p.s.--- OFF TOPIC ----Le Fanu--what is a 7" single? - I am so curious!!!!
Here's a bunch of them. And don't forget the mysterious center pieces you needed if your record player didn't come with a big plastic circle thingie to stick over the metal pin/peg! :D

I feel Very Old now. ;)

tarot heart

Thanks for all the helpful info Cat.

So...those are 7" singles! Here in the states we always called them 45's which stands for 45rpm's (rounds per minute, I think?).

Thanks again!!!

trzes

Norhern Americans would become a neglected minority pretty soon for their exclusive use of non-metric measures, if they weren't the bloody mainstream "per definitionem" :D

From AJ's quite comprehensive list (edited post #1) the most important for me would be the reviewer's individual feel for the artwork (needs comparing with other reviewers though) and the keyword issue. Technical details wouldn't matter that much for me.