What edition do I have?

rwcarter

Does the top of your box say US Games or Samuel Weiser? The Weiser deck has a US Games LWB. The only LWBs I've seen without copyrights have been with Weiser decks, which I believe to be the first printing of the yellow box.

You should check out RWS Deck Post-1970 Publishing History.

Yineth

Does the top of your box say US Games or Samuel Weiser? The Weiser deck has a US Games LWB. The only LWBs I've seen without copyrights have been with Weiser decks, which I believe to be the first printing of the yellow box.

You should check out RWS Deck Post-1970 Publishing History.

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/tealia89/?action=view&current=2012-05-29_19-20-51_372.jpg - Top

http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z399/tealia89/?action=view&current=2012-05-29_19-20-36_508-1.jpg - Bottom

And I'll check the thread you linked.

gregory

• 468 Park Avenue South, New York, N.Y. 10016 (roughly 1970-1980) The copyright does not appear on the cards until around 1975. Matte finish (not plasticized).
Yours seems to fit in there - pre 1975.

rwcarter

Yineth,

I've not seen a US Games box with the LWB that doesn't have a printing number! Tell me that wasn't the auction I pointed you to!

Did Weiser and USG put out the first printing of the yellow box at the same time? Until now I thought that maybe USG contracted with Weiser to put out the first printing (or possibly even the first few printings as the first printing I have that has a printing number in the LWB is the 5th printing), but then that contract ended at some point and USG began putting out the deck in their boxes. But your deck blows that theory out of the water....

gregory

Damn; I can't check mine till mid July, but I THINK....

Yineth

Yineth,

I've not seen a US Games box with the LWB that doesn't have a printing number! Tell me that wasn't the auction I pointed you to!

Did Weiser and USG put out the first printing of the yellow box at the same time? Until now I thought that maybe USG contracted with Weiser to put out the first printing (or possibly even the first few printings as the first printing I have that has a printing number in the LWB is the 5th printing), but then that contract ended at some point and USG began putting out the deck in their boxes. But your deck blows that theory out of the water....

Unfortunately the deck I have is not from the auction you suggested to me. I was close to getting that deck, but the finance fairy said no.

The deck I have is from a random seller that Bhavana directed me to on ebay. ( The seller got an earful from me because he called them gypsy fortune telling cards)

One other theory is the deck's lwb is not the original lwb for the deck?

Bhavana

what do you all think about the last page in yineth's LWB? I have an 11th printing pre 1975 with a much longer more extensive list of then-current USG decks than what her LWB shows.
My hypothesis is that she has a very VERY early printing.

Seems like all we can say for sure is that it is a pre-75 deck - drat!! I was hoping someone would know more about the lack of numbers indicating printings in the LWB.

rwcarter

Unfortunately the deck I have is not from the auction you suggested to me. I was close to getting that deck, but the finance fairy said no.

The deck I have is from a random seller that Bhavana directed me to on ebay. ( The seller got an earful from me because he called them gypsy fortune telling cards)

One other theory is the deck's lwb is not the original lwb for the deck?
Whew! I don't have to kick myself in the a-- then.... :D

what do you all think about the last page in yineth's LWB? I have an 11th printing pre 1975 with a much longer more extensive list of then-current USG decks than what her LWB shows.
My hypothesis is that she has a very VERY early printing.

Seems like all we can say for sure is that it is a pre-75 deck - drat!! I was hoping someone would know more about the lack of numbers indicating printings in the LWB.
I didn't notice the last page in her LWB originally. My Weiser boxed decks have LWBs that say Weiser on the front cover but have a US Games copyright on the inside cover. The last page is blank. My LWBs have 44 numbered pages. Yineth, how many numbered pages does your LWB have?

My 7th printing LWB has 30 items on the back cover (and doesn't include Tarot Napkins) vs the 10 that show on Yineth's back cover. So I'm going back to my new theory that USG and Weiser released the first printing of the deck at the same time.

Yineth

@RW: My LWB has 44 numbered pages also.

I compared our mystery deck (Deck 1) to the other yellow box RWS I have (Deck 2) and noticed the following:

-The Magician is orange-faced and orange skinned on the deck box(Deck 1)
-The white robe's front is plain faced above the blue belt (deck 1), while the other M's rob has some gray colored creasing showing on the front (deck 2).
-The front coloring of the Magician on Deck 1 is more faded looking in color, the box where "The Magician" shows is white. Deck 2's name box has a gray color filled in. Deck 2 is also a much later printing (44th edition or something).
- There is 2 blank white cards with Deck 1. Deck 2 has one blank and a card that lists off more products.

Deck 1's coloring on the cards show a lot of cross-hatching style that are lighter in shades compared to Deck 2.

These probably don't help much other than confirming that Deck 1 is probably pre-1975 still xD

Bhavana

@RW: My LWB has 44 numbered pages also.

I compared our mystery deck (Deck 1) to the other yellow box RWS I have (Deck 2) and noticed the following:

-The Magician is orange-faced and orange skinned on the deck box(Deck 1)
-The white robe's front is plain faced above the blue belt (deck 1), while the other M's rob has some gray colored creasing showing on the front (deck 2).
-The front coloring of the Magician on Deck 1 is more faded looking in color, the box where "The Magician" shows is white. Deck 2's name box has a gray color filled in. Deck 2 is also a much later printing (44th edition or something).
- There is 2 blank white cards with Deck 1. Deck 2 has one blank and a card that lists off more products.

Deck 1's coloring on the cards show a lot of cross-hatching style that are lighter in shades compared to Deck 2.

These probably don't help much other than confirming that Deck 1 is probably pre-1975 still xD

Deck 1 is definitely pre 1975, if you go by when copyrites were added. that may be the only thing you can be sure of. Did you post a photo of the last page in the LWB?
It shows very few decks compared to my 11th printing - possibly the decks on mine were not released or in existance yet, possibly adding to the thought that yours is a very early edition?
Here is a pic of the last page in my 11th printing:

Attachments

• LWB RWS 001.jpg
    LWB RWS 001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 127