What fuels deck acquisition fever?

firemaiden

For a long time, I felt very deck-satisfied and calm, then I bought the Universal Fantasy and started my new reading thread. I feel as though I am chomping on slabs of dark chocolate by the fistful, barely taking time to rip the wrapper off before chomping. YUM. And all that makes me want more! Now I find find I'm craving more and more decks - just in principle, there isn't one in particular - its a case of renewed slurping deck-thirst.

Perhaps because I'm reading, and it is such a grand adventure; it's like once I start traveling, I get wanderlust and want more and more adventures.

So tell me my friends, what fuels your deck acquisition fever? What calms it?

Kenny

I no longer want to buy too many more decks. There is one or two out there I want.

I currently have the deck I want and that is my Thoth. I think it was trying to find my 'perfect' deck that meant me shopping around for them.

AprilFool

firemaiden said:
So tell me my friends, what fuels your deck acquisition fever? What calms it?

From my lofty level of experience ( ;) ) I think it comes in waves (kind of like morning sickness). I bought an unbelievable number at first, and now I have figured out more of what really speaks to me, and have slowed down. I've even sold & traded a few from that early rush.

But I fear the fever will return, especially after hanging around here for a while.

Apocalipstick

For me, it was the need for variety. I get bored easily - more decks means more fun, at least in principle.

In practice, I only own a few, and rarely feel the need to have more. There will be more I'll acquire, especially if I keep on hanging aroud here, but I doubt it'll be deck gluttony.

I'd rather spend that money on books. Or shoes. And pedicures.

Well, anyway, I'm likely not your target audience for this question, since I'm no collector. I enjoy being able to use every deck I have, and the more decks I'll acquire, the less able I'll be to do that.

MysticalMoose

What a wonderful comparison :D Firemaiden :laugh: chomping on slabs of dark chocolate by the fistful ....I saw myself in that....lol
I too have been victim of the Deck-buying-frenzy..however it seems to have slowed down a little since getting the DruidCraft deck as I just love it & for me I think its THE perfect deck....(having said that....I got The Inner Child Cards this morning & they are beautiful)..I think for me it has been the QUEST for THE deck....there are still a few on my wishlist but Im only DESPERATE for 1 or 2 now...(ok about 8 :rolleyes:).....What can I say? Im Fickle!!! :D

red11

Heh, well, to be completely honest here....I have an addictive personality, and Tarot is no exception. :|

And it seems to come in waves for me too...I'm in a down phase now, and I think out of necessity, because of lack of space, I'm done for awhile.

But I'm not a collector either. I buy decks to be able to USE them, so I'll get a few here and there, but it won't be insanity...I hope. ;)

Edited to say: Just have to stay off that de-enabling thread!! :laugh: Funny how the thread accomplishes the exact opposite for me, because I see the decks others are lusting over and I think to myself "ooh, what a nice deck!"

The crowned one

I am a natural collector.

I have a tendency to buy everything within an interest that is worthwhile and available to me, then cull my collection down into a lean mean meaningful collection with a few personal or sentimental favorites tossed in for balance.

connegrl

At first I bought decks in an effort to 'find the deck I connected with'. Then I bought decks to learn from. Now, I just like the different spins that each deck presents. I have a few 'what was I thinking' decks that I have up for trade. I have a couple more that I got to learn from, but don't like well enough to keep. Another that I just want a different edition. Ack! I 'really' don't consider myself a collecter. I want to be able to read with the decks that I get. And I do trade decks when I realize that they just don't suit. But there are just so many decks out there that I'd like to look thru! There are becoming fewer and I am finding I have pretty specific tastes in reading decks. Unfortunetly, I find that I like OOP decks. Mostly decks printed in the 70's and early 80's. I like the way they feel in my hand.

When I buy decks just to buy and I have recently, its because something else is bothering me and I'm just distracting myself.

Jen

franniee

what a perfect topic for me right now...

Thanks Firemaiden for starting this thread.....

I joined this forum 5 weeks or so ago and I LOVE it here. However at the time I joined I had 3 decks that I had for over 10 years and right now I have 6 decks with 3 more on their way....so yes I have the fever!

Why do I think I caught it? I LOVE cards - all types of cards and books and paper and art! and these decks are all of that! I find them seductive. The problem came with my first new deck....I had trouble relating to the images since they were different enough from my tried and true decks. I had to immerse myself in it and had to put the others away....(felt badly about that but hey they are decks of cards after all) ;)

I am done buying for now.... a couple of the ones i bought i think are going to get relegated to the shelf but one new one, my Thoth deck, is going to take me some time to learn and get acquainted with - so for now i need to devote some time and effort to it - so that's that for a while.....although if anyone wants to buy me a present I am up for it! })

:love:

firemaiden

Apocalipstick said:
Well, anyway, I'm likely not your target audience for this question, since I'm no collector. I enjoy being able to use every deck I have, and the more decks I'll acquire, the less able I'll be to do that.

LOL, I would never consider myself a collector either. Not by a long shot. Like you, I buy decks to chomp on ... no! I mean, I buy them to read with!