What if you don't have any intuition?

euripides

One thing I'd say about the very standard RWS type decks, is that they are somewhat 'bare bones' artistically, the art is representational without being emotional, so sometimes you don't get a strong response to them.

Much of the symbolism or stories in these decks relies on a knowledge of mythology and the bible that for most people, when they were written, would have been part of their early education, brought up on the Bible and Greek myth. A little bit of history and Shakespeare in there and you will see many echoes of familiar stories without even trying. For the modern reader it's a little bit more difficult. So it's a good idea to work through the meanings and also read a bit more widely on any of the symbols and ideas that you come across.

In some decks the artists use a lot more colour and emotional images to help the reader connect with the cards. Things that are subtle in the RWS are sometimes made much clearer. Maybe you need to try some other decks, to find one that you're in tune with. I almost never read with my RWS anymore, I usually use the Spiral or Touchstone. They both have strong characters and art that I connect with.

Mellifluous

So many here, especially the great readers, say to go with you "intuition". That will always override what you're reading in the cards. What if you don't have any? I've been told to "feel" the cards....and those feelings aren't always correct.

Everyone has it. You just don't trust it. I say, keep reading and in a few years you'll be surprised how much more often your feelings are correct. Using tarot strengthens the intuition. It'll never be 100% accurate though. No one's is.

The hard part is really separating emotional feelings from intuitive ones - especially when reading for yourself. It's easier to go with fear or pessimism, for example, (or optimism), than to tune into an intuitive 'feeling' that's neither. Takes practice and calm and detachment, which is often not when people reach for the cards. lol Plus, I think some things we just can't and aren't meant to detach from... and we're here to live first and read tarot second, so that's okay.

Keep practising and learning, and enjoy the journey! :)

The crowned one

So many here, especially the great readers, say to go with you "intuition". So..the bottom line is...to be an accurate, good reader...do you have to have really good intuition?

B

The fact is I can not pick up a saxophone and just play in spite of my strong musical theory in guitar, but I can play guitar intuitively, because I put in the time to learn it. I have a strong foundation. Intuition is built off knowledge. The is no knowledge in the absence of experience, and therefore intuition to grow, needs knowledge. Learn the cards. Over time I have realized it does not need to be formal training like an instrument, you do not need the GD to read well ( but I think it helps) you need experience. You need to understand symbols colours and numbers, the more systems the better for your intuition, and do not forget, if you are not reading for you only... you need to understand human nature and social dynamics, along with the culture you are reading for or within. :) Intuition is earned it is not a gift. IMHO

Emily

So, I've been on this forum a few months now...newbie. I bought the Rider deck...slept with it under my pillow (couldn't hurt). And, I am continually learning the meanings through the LWB, googling, and this forum. I'm most comfortable reading 3 card spreads...gives enough information without overwhelming me.

So, I'm never confident on my readings. I'm more confident when I can see a story out of the pictures in the cards, but that doesn't always happen. So many here, especially the great readers, say to go with you "intuition". That will always override what you're reading in the cards. What if you don't have any? I've been told to "feel" the cards....and those feelings aren't always correct. My "feelings" of cards come from a memory of seeing them in another reading whether they were a positive or a negative card.

So..the bottom line is...to be an accurate, good reader...do you have to have really good intuition?

B

Intuition comes with practise, lots of practise and the right deck. It could be that the RWS isn't doing it for you, it never works with me either and I do work with decks that spark my intuition. I find that busy decks do it best with me. I work alot with the Liber T, Morgan Green, Spiral, Thoth, all very visual decks.

But you don't need intuition to be a good reader, its just a small added bonus that doesn't kick in all the time, but you do need to know your cards and to be patient. Learning tarot cards is an ongoing process, I've been reading for a while and I'm still learning, my intuition didn't start to kick in until a couple of years ago and it doesn't happen with every reading.

Just keep practising with the RWS or maybe check out the deck section and see if any decks there interest you, but try not to turn into a deck hopper looking for that 'special' deck until you find you have a huge collection of decks LOL :p (Unless you are into tarot collection) :)

Carla

You don't need intuition to read tarot cards, but actually everyone does have it. I agree with Manda and Caridwen on this. Study and take notes and keep practising, and don't worry whether your interpretation is coming from your knowledge or your intuition. Over time, it will end up coming from both.

gregory

You will get strongly differing opinions from two very vocal camps within the denizens of this forum: those who only read intuitively and don't see much value in boning up on the vast body of published knowledge, and those who believe that everything you need to achieve meaningful readings is housed in that historical knowledge base, ready to be assimilated through study and contemplation.
Er - as one who does read by using the images (I don't call that intuitively, as EVERY TAROT READER uses intuition - or just looking up the meanings would work for anyone picking up a deck) that statement is shaky :)

Reading that way is NOT to say that I don't think reading and learning has no use.OF COURSE there is value in it - as there is in accumulating any knowledge. My EXTREMELY limited knowledge of basic chemistry once helped with a reading, to give just one example. But some of us do feel that sticking to what you "know" can be very limiting.

Everyone has it. You just don't trust it. I say, keep reading and in a few years you'll be surprised how much more often your feelings are correct. Using tarot strengthens the intuition. It'll never be 100% accurate though. No one's is.

The hard part is really separating emotional feelings from intuitive ones - especially when reading for yourself. It's easier to go with fear or pessimism, for example, (or optimism), than to tune into an intuitive 'feeling' that's neither.
This is very true, and is why I avoid reading for myself.

You don't need intuition to read tarot cards, but actually everyone does have it. I agree with Manda and Caridwen on this. Study and take notes and keep practising, and don't worry whether your interpretation is coming from your knowledge or your intuition. Over time, it will end up coming from both.
Right on, Carla. This is at the heart of it all. Start out reading in the way that best fits you, and branch out as the mood takes you. It's like learning to read - phonics doesn't work for every kid (whatever the government chooses to believe ;)); you have to look for what resonates with each individual 5 y/o and go on from there.

Aerin

So, I've been on this forum a few months now...newbie. I bought the Rider deck...slept with it under my pillow (couldn't hurt). And, I am continually learning the meanings through the LWB, googling, and this forum. I'm most comfortable reading 3 card spreads...gives enough information without overwhelming me.

So, I'm never confident on my readings. I'm more confident when I can see a story out of the pictures in the cards, but that doesn't always happen. So many here, especially the great readers, say to go with you "intuition". That will always override what you're reading in the cards. What if you don't have any? I've been told to "feel" the cards....and those feelings aren't always correct. My "feelings" of cards come from a memory of seeing them in another reading whether they were a positive or a negative card.

So..the bottom line is...to be an accurate, good reader...do you have to have really good intuition?

B

Please don't beat yourself up about it. One of the reasons I started with Tarot was to try and develop more intuition... and for pretty much two years or so I got almost nowhere.

A few months? You are already doing better than I did :D

Relax. Chill. Just go with the process, carry on learning, it will come together. Like meeting a partner I'd given up when it finally happened with a deck :D

ETA and if you haven't seen this thread have a look http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=162021

Amanda

My "feelings" of cards come from a memory of seeing them in another reading whether they were a positive or a negative card.

:)

What makes you think that your intuition isn't triggering this memory?

Eyebright

The fact is I can not pick up a saxophone and just play in spite of my strong musical theory in guitar, but I can play guitar intuitively, because I put in the time to learn it. I have a strong foundation. Intuition is built off knowledge. The is no knowledge in the absence of experience, and therefore intuition to grow, needs knowledge. Learn the cards. Over time I have realized it does not need to be formal training like an instrument, you do not need the GD to read well ( but I think it helps) you need experience. You need to understand symbols colours and numbers, the more systems the better for your intuition, and do not forget, if you are not reading for you only... you need to understand human nature and social dynamics, along with the culture you are reading for or within. :) Intuition is earned it is not a gift. IMHO

I agree with TCO on this. You need the knowledge, a foundation to build upon. It is then your intuition that picks out the relevant bits from your repository of knowledge that is pertinent to the reading you have in front of you. This is how I'm finding it, as a relative newbie myself.
Like Aerin mentioned I am also using Tarot as a springboard to opening up my intuition. All I can suggest is read everything you can and practice, practice, practice. Record all your readings writing down your impressions and refer back to them. This is the most important thing for me. Looking back at readings I get AHA moments and it clicks for me what it was the cards were trying to tell me. That knowledge then stays with me and I might add things to my notes on the meanings for each card. Then as your knowledge and confidence grows I bet your intuition does too.

Good luck! Just trust yourself, you will be fine :)

Bluebonnet

Thank you for all the advice and opinions, everyone!! :) Yes, I'm very impatient, hate to be wrong, and hate it when I don't understand it.

I've always been a quick learner, and when I hear readers saying it took them YEARS to get good at it.......OI!!! Must be patient!

B