What if you just can't give any more info?

Cactus

I recently got myself into another pickle.

I found that only about 7 minutes had passed when I was finished with a 5 card spread.

I felt really good about the reading. But I just wasn't getting any more information about anything. I felt that if I concentrated any longer that I'd get into the logical, analytical mode and start to blabber about stuff that would mess up what I initially said.

Lately I've found myself with the initial impressions and important things said within MINUTES, it seems. Usually the spreads are between 4-6 cards.

And lately, any 3 card readings I whiz through. Done in a minute. I'd feel fake and insincere if I forced a reading to be longer. I really feel like every reading for every person (3 or more cards) should be longer. Lately, however, info comes quick and poof! That's it.

Has this happened to you??

Umbrae

This is an opinion only, and should be taken as such.

I hate the ‘hour’ or ‘half-hour’ readings.

It’s a sign of a ‘slave to wages’ mentality that prevails in our culture. We punch time-clocks, get paid ‘by the hour’, work eight hour days…

“I’d like a haircut – just a 30-minute trim…”

A good in-depth reading should not last 30 minutes! A 60-minute reading? What am I going to talk about? Unless of course I’m reciting memorized pages of some book.

I really prefer to charge by the spread. I know how long I usually take to do three, five, seven, or 10 cards. And charge by the reading. If asked “How long is a reading” I’ll tell them 20 minutes – or so. And “Sometimes truth takes only a moment to show up”

If they want 45 minutes, let them hunt down the next reader.

You should not feel fake or less than. A three-card reading should never take more than a few minutes. The folks that make three card readings last 15+ minutes? do the math. You're talking 3 minutes per card. That's no reading, nor is it reading in context. It's a recital. It’s a con-job. A three card reading in moments? That's reading Tarot.

Can you do a 30-minute car repair please?

Debra

That's a good idea. Released from the tyranny of the timer.

Don't most shops want readers to charge by the minute, with a certain minimum? For example, the biggest meta shop in Nashville charges a flat $2/minute for all readings (no matter what kind) with a ten minute minimum, and the split is 60/40.

magpie9

In defense of the longer reading....
Yeah, I can whiz through 3-5 cards in 4-7 minutes, taking it lightly, no side issues may apply. But If it's an important issue, people usually want lots of detail, and how does it look to aunt Hattie, and and how can I get here from there, or vice-versa, and what if I do this instead......
so the cards keep getting pulled out and added in, and the table get cleared, and the deck shuffled again, until the questions are ansered.
It takes as long as it takes, be it 4 minutes or 90 minutes. It isn't about the time it's about the depth and complexity. As to the custom of charging per minute? Well, look at it this way. the client is deciding how much money he's willing to spend, and the person scheduling the readings knows about how much time to put aside for this particular reading. And --to use a barber shop metaphor--the reader is aware of if the person is just in for a tiny trim, or a whole new look. And it isn't like they have to Use all the reserved time...it's just there, if needed.

Not to be too cynical, but I think the reason the Meta shops go for the timed readings is because they can time them themselves. They can't keep track of how many layouts you do, or how many subjects you addressed. Time is all they've got.

LucyD

I think all the answers here are right, and I'd like to add my own. If you just shot through a reading and you feel like you'd like to give a little more, ask the querant if they have a question. Not 100 questions, just one. Check out the cards, give them the read and then you're done.

I've given readings that I just shot through and I felt like I really wanted to give more, but there was just nothing left to give. In that circumstance, I've just given a second, free reading after 30 days.

KarlThomas

If nothing else is coming and I feel like more time is important, I'll converse, making an opportunity to bring what we've uncovered into the talk.

I ask the sitter how this is landing for them. Then, if they give a little, I ask, "can you say more about that?" A conversation begins, which will often put them at ease, and lead to a further, more-difficult-to-ask question. Sometimes, it give me greater understanding of what I've told them.

I want to study the art of conversation, I think it is neglected, but moreover, because it is so easy for a reading to slip into more comfortable, less tender areas, and I'd like to know how to direct it back without stepping on people's toes.

Thanks this is a valuable topic.

Cactus

Umbrae said:
...You should not feel fake or less than. A three-card reading should never take more than a few minutes. The folks that make three card readings last 15+ minutes? do the math. You're talking 3 minutes per card. That's no reading, nor is it reading in context. It's a recital. It’s a con-job. A three card reading in moments? That's reading Tarot.

Can you do a 30-minute car repair please?

Thanks, Umbrae, for that. I've been in this weird mood lately and everything is bothering me. So it has spilled over onto tarot and I need clearer perspectives.

I guess I need to chill and enjoy my own style and not think of what I "should" be doing but am not (lengthening the reading to make the sitter feel like s/he got $$ worth).

MAGPIE also was right in that if I feel like flipping a few more cards after a short reading, I certainly can! Why not! Hey, I've asked for elaboration when things were a bit fuzzy and flipped cards; I've asked for clarifying cards; so why shouldn't I tack on another quickie spread?!

Thanks, peeps, for all of your replies! I feel better :)

Kathy

Cactus

KarlThomas said:
If nothing else is coming and I feel like more time is important, I'll converse, making an opportunity to bring what we've uncovered into the talk.....

...it is so easy for a reading to slip into more comfortable, less tender areas, and I'd like to know how to direct it back without stepping on people's toes.

Thanks this is a valuable topic.

Hey, no problem!! Yeah, I'm with you; conversation is fascinating. I should know - I'm a double Gemini. Well, more than that. I have four major planets in Gemini.

(Hey, if anyone who knows astrology is wondering why a quadruple Gemini has trouble with saying more during a reading, I will beat you. :neutral:

OOnaOwl

Cactus said:
Hey, no problem!! Yeah, I'm with you; conversation is fascinating. I should know - I'm a double Gemini. Well, more than that. I have four major planets in Gemini.

(Hey, if anyone who knows astrology is wondering why a quadruple Gemini has trouble with saying more during a reading, I will beat you. :neutral:

Are they all in the 12th house or what?! Lol!

Cactus

That's funny you should ask. I do have 4 planets in the 12th house, actually. But they are not all the Gem planets. Only my Sun in Gem is in the 12th.

But I don't want this to be moved into the Astrology section! I have thought about that aspect, though, that I may definitely be able to communicate well in 12 th house areas and I think Tarot fits.