What influenced you to delve into the tarot?

herself

I was just one of those kids who sought out anything having to do with the paranormal, right from the get-go. It's like I was born with an interest in this stuff! :grin:

In elementary school I checked out the Time Life books, and any books about witches or psychic powers (The Girl With the Silver Eyes, anyone? The Changeover? Or am I showing my age?) I had the ubiquitous, mass-produced ouija board, but only used it at slumber parties. As is common for children, I desperately wanted magic to be real. I wanted to have powers of sorcery like Princess Ariel in the Thundar the Barbarian cartoon. I also wanted to be every evil princess or sorceress, and every sultry oracle woman in the movies or tv (Flash Gordon, all of the Sinbad episodes) -- not sure what THAT says about me, haha! :laugh: But you know, the good princesses were so boring. ;)

When I was in sixth grade, new neighbors moved in next door, and the woman had a set of books, one for each sign, that taught you how to cast your complete astrology chart, ephemeris excerpts and all. I was hooked.

I expressed an interest in tarot cards (and divination methods in general) in junior high, and my mom dug out an old copy of the Hoi-Polloi Tarot (which I still have!). I also received a copy of the standard Rider-Waite-Smith for Christmas, but thought it was sort of ugly because I hated the colors. In high school I bought myself the Londa Tarot (there weren't many choices at my local store, but I was your typical goth girl and I loved the High Priestess card), and I stuck with that one for a few years. I bought the Crowley Thoth a few years later because I thought it was so much more attractive, but then was overwhelmed with the depth of material related to that deck, and thought the Book of Thoth was just sort of wacky. I realized that religion just wasn't for me, even the alternative ones, because I'm just not a believer.

Fast forward to my 20s, when I started buying other decks in search of one with understandable but appealing imagery. I used the Sacred Rose for years. Then I joined Aeclectic in 2005, and have been tarot obsessed on and off since!

So for me, it was just an innate interest in divination and the metaphysical that led me to tarot. My parents were pretty laid back about it all -- they weren't much interested in metaphysical things, but allowed me to pursue my interests. We were not a religious household (even though we went to a United Methodist church on and off when I was 6-12 years old), so that didn't interfere. I was lucky, I guess. :)

O. M. G. That Girl With The Silver Eyes looks awesome. Exactly what I would have wanted to read when I was younger. Exactly what I'd love to read now!

I was obsessed with witches and magic when I was, say 8 - 12 years old. OBSESSED. I would read Roald Dahl's book, George's Marvellous Medicine over and over again and try to make my own potions in the bathroom. I guess it wasn't much of a stretch then, to try out tarot cards, which I think I picked up when I was fifteen or so.

I got the Connelly because it had what looked like a comprehensive book that came with it (still have the deck, though I never read with it anymore), and something about working through that deck, and the book, just resonated with me. I wonder if I'll ever sit down and go through a deck as thoroughly, and whole-heartedly, as I did back then.

herself

I was brought up in a ferociously atheistic atmosphere; for my parents, pretty much any kind of spiritual questioning is shallow. Yet I developed a decidedly spiritual-oriented personality, though I don't belong to any organized cult of belief. I guess I was attracted to Tarot because it was an interesting in-between, like a practical way of wondering...

I like that, Styx, "a practical way of wondering". It sums up a lot of how I feel about tarot, too.