What is a "Grand Trine"?

Sophie

Apparently I have one. Two even, though one is skewy. - An acquaintance wrote that for me, but didn't explain, and at the time I didn't think to ask - now we've lost touch.

When I look at my chart on astro.com, the blue (harmonious) looks like a kite, while the red (inharmonious) looks like a triangle without a base. I don't know if this is relevant.

gregory

I don't know what on earth all this means but since you ask and I have a book.....

A grand trine is three planets, points, or conjunctions all in trine aspect (about 120 degrees apart) to each other. It is called a "trine" because it forms an equal-sided triangle in the chart. It is supposed to be very lucky.....

(See, I am not grinding my teeth, dear Helvetica; I just like to consider everything !)
:D

Sophie

OK! Thanks! Yes, I have one of those, I can see it! I also have a grand-looking non-trine (red lines), which looks less lucky. Do they cancel each other out?

(still :confused:)

what does a Grand Trine do to one?

oh, and - mine is a watery Grand Trine.

I am not grinding my teeth, but I am crossing my eyes

dadsnook2000

What is in a trine?

What is in a trine? Well, three planets at least, equally spaced (within an acceptable orb or range), each point of the triangle being (most often) in a signs that have the same element (fire, earth, air, water). Think about what this all means.

The trine's planets tend to have the same expressional qualities due to their signs element focus being the same. Almost any aspect to one of the planets will have some kind of aspect relationship to the other two planets -- this creates complications. The aspectual complications will tend to be overridden by the trine itself -- trines tend to interact with each member in an almost automatic mode. In other words, its easier to express the trine energy in every case than use/apply one of the other aspect patterns.

Guess what happens when a transiting planet makes an opposition or conjunction to any one of the three planets? It triggers the trine, reinforcing the use and reliance upon the trine energy. Trines tend to be habit forming, you use the energy a certain way -- but you seldom grow or change from that experience. This is why squares and t-squares are to valuable to one's growth and development -- they create a conflict, a challenge that drives us to use whatever is thrown at us.

Now, you also have to look at who makes up a trine! Are all of the planets involved compatible, is one of them antagonistic to the other two, is one stronger due to its house/sign placement or aspect patterns to a planet outside of the trine pattern?

What is in a trine? Good food for thought, a good learning opportunity with this question. Dave

Sophie

So the trine - and the Grand Trine all the more - gives you the helping hand, whereas the squares & oppositions & other difficult aspects give you the challenges? So there is a kind of balance, then?

My Grand Trine involves Jupiter (Cancer, 3rd house), Neptune (Scorpio, 6th house) & Saturn (Pisces, 11th house)

But my Jupiter also squares my Mars (I don't quite understand why - my Mars is in Scorpio) - would that interfere in the Grand Trine, or just give it a job to do, adapting?

(I have many more squares and other challenges, but this one touched the Grand Trine - if that's at all relevant).

gregory

ER, like, wow. Is this a professional astrologers' thread for those with starry doctorates? SO complicated. Back to tarot which I understand at least !!!! :(

More power to you all; but I think cards are easier !

dadsnook2000

It's not hard at all

gregory, astrology isn't really hard to learn. What seems to be hard about it is that everyone is always trying to make up and apply rules to everything. Just a little bit of quiet thought can provide most of the answers once you know the basics -- a set of basics that are a lot easier to learn and remember than the meanings of 78 tarot cards. I do both tarot and astrology with equal ease -- no judgement being made on how good I do at either.

Don't give up. Dave

isthmus nekoi

gregory, I totally understand your confusion and I'm glad you spoke up b/c more often than not, members feel lost here in astro but do not say anything! Most ppl find it harder to get started w/astro than tarot so you are definetely not alone. If there's anything you don't understand, don't hesitate to ask and someone is likely to answer. :)

Helvetica... does the square cancel out the trine? I'm not sure cancelling is possible, but certainly you are right in that aspects affect each other, either support or conflict w/trends they represent.

I think perhaps at this stage, you would benefit from blending planetary energies - that is to say, regardless of aspect, what can we expect when Jupiter and Mars get together? What sort of themes come up? Then you can overlay the aspect meaning on top of that. (Unless of course, you already are a whizz at that, in which case, do ignore the advice!)

(btw, if your triangle doesn't have a base, this means the degrees are too far apart to be considered an actual "grand trine". I think astro already allows for a pretty wide orb (up to 10 for conjunction/opposition, not sure how much for trine) so you have two trines, not three.)

purplefishy

My grand trine is also in water (Pisces, cancer and scorpio) so thanks for starting this thread! I didn't know a lot about it previously.

Sophie

isthmus nekoi said:
I think perhaps at this stage, you would benefit from blending planetary energies - that is to say, regardless of aspect, what can we expect when Jupiter and Mars get together? What sort of themes come up? Then you can overlay the aspect meaning on top of that.
you mean "jupiter and mars" without reference to which sign or house they are in? So - what to expect when the planet of expansion meets the planet of aggressive energy? Hmmm - I try to take over the world? ;). And with Jupiter in tenacious Cancer and Mars in intense single-track-mind Scorpio...maybe I succeed! })

isthmus nekoi said:
(btw, if your triangle doesn't have a base, this means the degrees are too far apart to be considered an actual "grand trine". I think astro already allows for a pretty wide orb (up to 10 for conjunction/opposition, not sure how much for trine) so you have two trines, not three.)
My triangle does have a base, from what I can see. I was also told by a friend some years ago (who did her own chart drawing) that I had a grand trine, and another - rather skewy one - involving Chiron (Chiron in Pisces in the 11th house).

Thanks for all the help. It's interesting to see how planets interract with each other, and how some interactions influence others.