What is it behind the Noblet Papesse's head?

mac22

Ok.... I've reflected, meditated, ruminated and researched on what it might be behind the Noblet Papesse's head. Is it: A henin? A bourrelets? Some sort of Mantilla? Some sort of veil? An aura, nimbus or halo? A representation of Shekhinah? Merely swaged drapery?[if so to what purpose?]...Some added drapery on a cape/cloak? Some type of canopy?

Your thoughts?

Mac22

Rosanne

Hi Mac 22- I think it is a simple form of a baldacchino- or cloth of honour. It was always behind a raised dias and was a symbol of Authority. I think it is interesting that the design makes it look like there is a Dove on the Green face. In church colour talk, the liturgical colours are Green for ordinary time and mean Life, Growth and Hope. Some decks this cloth of Honour looks more like the flags of Office behind and on each side of the throne, down furled. ~Rosanne

mac22

Rosanne said:
Hi Mac 22- I think it is a simple form of a baldacchino- or cloth of honour. It was always behind a raised dias and was a symbol of Authority. I think it is interesting that the design makes it look like there is a Dove on the Green face. In church colour talk, the liturgical colours are Green for ordinary time and mean Life, Growth and Hope. Some decks this cloth of Honour looks more like the flags of Office behind and on each side of the throne, down furled. ~Rosanne

AHHH!.... So I was in fact I was correct.... It is a canopy or baldachin [baldacchino- It.] "cloth of honor" Hmmmm... ok then where's the Pope's baldachin?? I know I know more questions....:D That was one of the reason I wasn't willing to commit to the baldachin theory.... at least not quite yet.

Mac22

Rosanne

Maybe the Pope was not quite as honoured at the Noblet time. Could have been Eastern Orthodox. If you view it as Catholic Iconography and the Papesse as Mother Church- she has the Authority through Wisdom- he pronounces it. Therefore he has the pillars and a possible door behind him- a throne. ~Rosanne

mac22

Rosanne said:
Maybe the Pope was not quite as honoured at the Noblet time. Could have been Eastern Orthodox. If you view it as Catholic Iconography and the Papesse as Mother Church- she has the Authority through Wisdom- he pronounces it. Therefore he has the pillars and a possible door behind him- a throne. ~Rosanne

Good points!!! :) Ain't no foolin' you....:cool:

Wonder where the door goes?? Hmmm....

Mac22

Abrac

I have always thought it was a veil. To quote the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"The Roman Pontifical contains the imposing ceremony of the consecration of virgins. The gift of the veil is accompanied by these words: 'Receive the sacred veil, that thou mayst be known to have despised the world, and to be truly, humbly, and with all thy heart subject to Christ as His bride; and may He defend thee from all evil, and bring thee to life eternal.' Wilpert quotes a very ancient form, which is common to the different liturgies: 'Receive, O virgin, this holy veil, and wear it without stain until thou shalt appear before the judgment seat of Our Lord Jesus Christ, before Whom every knee shall bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, for all eternity, Amen.'"

The whole article is here.

mac22

Abrac said:
I have always thought it was a veil. To quote the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"The Roman Pontifical contains the imposing ceremony of the consecration of virgins. The gift of the veil is accompanied by these words: 'Receive the sacred veil, that thou mayst be known to have despised the world, and to be truly, humbly, and with all thy heart subject to Christ as His bride; and may He defend thee from all evil, and bring thee to life eternal.' Wilpert quotes a very ancient form, which is common to the different liturgies: 'Receive, O virgin, this holy veil, and wear it without stain until thou shalt appear before the judgment seat of Our Lord Jesus Christ, before Whom every knee shall bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, for all eternity, Amen.'"

The whole article is here.

The problem I see with that is... then the veil should be under the crown ....shouldn't it?

Mac22

Abrac

Not necessarily, but you would expect to see it attached to the head in some way. Judging from what is visible it doesn't seem to be. The whole idea of a Papasse is largely symbolic anyway, so the veil may also be symbolic. It could be a backdrop, but if this were the case you would expect it to extend further down.

mac22

Abrac said:
Not necessarily, but you would expect to see it attached to the head in some way. Judging from what is visible it doesn't seem to be. The whole idea of a Papasse is largely symbolic anyway, so the veil may also be symbolic. It could be a backdrop, but if this were the case you would expect it to extend further down.

Good point.... And is a reason why I'm still on the fence. The Noblet has many things that can be taken several ways. I like the deck more & more....:)

Mac22