What is my tarot deck?

sazzapoo

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please bear with. I've just inherited what I believe to be a very old tarot deck but I have no idea of it's history etc. I don't know how to upload a photo....

The back of the card has a black and white eye with what looks like two I I behind it - to form the letter H.

Does anyone recognise it?

Many thanks,
Sarah

rwcarter

Welcome sazzapoo! Only Subscribers may attach things to their posts. If you have access to a photosharing site or a cloud-based service, you can upload a photo there and then link to it here.

Over on the other side of Aeclectic is a listing of Black and White Decks. You may find the deck there.

sazzapoo

Thank you for your reply. I don't have a file sharing website so will look into it. The cards are not black and white themselves, they are coloured (red, black, yellow), it's just the back of the cards that is black and white with the strange eye design!

gregory

I think it will be the Insight Institute deck, aka Gardner. aka "Rigel" deck: there were a number of printings and that would be an early-ish one.

The centre one here ? (the others are from other printings.)

Here's an article about it:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/insight-institute.html

Later prints have different colourings; I have some with green and some with brighter primary colours.

Attachments

• RG - Insight Intitute - Rigel - BACKS.JPG
    RG - Insight Intitute - Rigel - BACKS.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 136

sazzapoo

Thank you so much! Those are the cards. I obviously have the early ones (c 1948). What a lovely collection.

I'll read up on them now so I can better understand connect with them.

Thank you again!

gregory

My ones with the "eye" are WARM - literally. Are yours ?

sazzapoo

Do you mean warm to touch?

gregory

Exactly - well, warm to hold. It's weird. The person I bought them off found the same !

sazzapoo

I'll take a look and report back :)

I inherited them from my great aunt, who passed away last month at the fantastic age of 96. I found them in her house and thought that they looked interesting and being a believer (and beginner!) in all things tarot I thought I'd take them and keep them safe. The odd thing was I felt like I was drawn to them - her house was absolutely full of stuff yet I found them tucked away in a bag in her cupboard. Easily missed. It was like I was meant to have them. I will treasure them and look after them for her :)

sazzapoo

Are there any books/reading material associated with the older edition?