What is the difference between an oracle and tarot?

Menmay

I just want to know what the differnce is. I remember my best freind was looking for her first tarot deck and she got an oracle instead. I had been reading tarot for about three years then and I thought it was the samething. when I saw that it was something that I had never seen before we returned it and she got an other deck. So what is the difference?

Rhiannon

Well, the main difference is the # of cards in the deck. Tarot decks have 78 cards. Although a Majors only deck is the exception, it only has 22.

Oracles feel different when you read with them. To me they are a little "lighter" if that makes any sense... I also don't mind having to look up the meanings of the cards in an oracle deck. But I HATE having to do that with a tarot deck. I made sure to memorize the tarot meanings so that I don't have to stop in the middle and look something up.

Any other opinions?
R :)

Baby Owl

Yes, you've pretty much covered it, Rhiannon. It's a little like the tarot decks are "immediate family" and the oracle decks are distant cousins. There's a "feel" to all true tarot decks, with the number of cards, order of cards, names of cards, symbolism and images.

I actually feel different when I'm reading with an oracle deck. It just seems a bit "looser" or maybe, as Rhiannon says, "lighter."

As far as results, that would be an individual matter. But if you are trying to study tarot, you want to get a traditional tarot deck.

Baby Owl

Jewel

The number of cards, and the structure of the decks. Tarot decks are clearly dividen into Majors, Minors and furthermore into suits. The suits are generally associated with a direction and element.

Oracle decks may or may not have these divisions, depending on the deck. They are less structured than tarot for the most part.

Menmay

Wow thanks for your responses, now I know. I remember the oracle my freind got was the farire deck. It was so pretty, it was a shame to turn it back in. But know that I know what the difference is I might look itno it as soon as I feel more comfortable with my tarot. Thanks again!!

Jewel

Menmay, although I am more of a tarot person than an oracle person one thing I have noticed is that the oracles I have used seem to be easier to learn than tarot. Other than personal preference I see no reason why you cannot learn both at the same time. Tarot is real true journey and I do not think we can ever learn all about tarot. For me tarot is a lifetime study.