What is the name of the "reversed tarot"

Ace

Hi, Folks, I am baaaack! I have started blogging again after a few years off and I need some quick info: there is a tarot deck that works backward, it shows you the usual Rider-Waite cards from a different point of view. For instance, the Magician is see from over his shoulder at the audience watching him. Or the one I need to know about: the 5 of Pentacles shows a person with a child, INSIDE the scene usually seen on that card.

Anyone remember the exact NAME of the deck? I may even want to BUY one if it is available.
Barb AKA Ace

Starshower

Tarot of the New Vision. :)

danieljuk

Starshower got it! I forgot it's name as well :)

I saw some images of the "reversed" view pictures and nearly bought this deck. I thought it was so clever but then I read some reviews and some of the cards are arguably (depending on your opinion) poorly done in their reverse view and just leaves more questions, why would the view be that? sort of thing. I decided that I prefer to think of my own view on the other side of the card and not have someone's definition but it is an interesting deck idea though. I will probably buy it one day though to look at the cards which are clever!

Welcome back here Ace!

Pam O

I too was racking my brain to think of the name!

The New Vision is a deck I never found myself inspired to use. Right now it is in storage.

tarotbear

Well - it is a big gimmick - seeing that the Fool is watching a volcano explode or the Hermit may get bitten by a snake really doesn't add much to the meaning of the card...in fact those 'see it from the card's perspective' views might get in your way as a distraction.

Just my two cents ...

Aeric

The Magician card always puzzled me. I always had the idea that he's alone, and in the middle of an important, solemn ritual that demands his full attention. I never thought that he'd be performing for a public audience like a parlour magician complete with helper monkey.

Zephyros

The Magician card always puzzled me. I always had the idea that he's alone, and in the middle of an important, solemn ritual that demands his full attention. I never thought that he'd be performing for a public audience like a parlour magician complete with helper monkey.

Don't forget the original name of the card, Le Bateleur, a kind of trickster performer. In esoteric circles, this idea connects back to Mercury, both the psychopomp and the practical joker. Thoth, god of wisdom is also connected to this card, always accompanied by the Cynocephalus Ape, who's job it was to always distort and conceal the wisdom of the god. This is to say that in every form of communication there is a seed of deceit. If I describe an apple to you as red, I'm lying, because my red isn't your red, and I'm not even mentioning the yellow parts. So, your experience of the apple is distorted and you don't know as much about it as you would think.

tarotbear

But as an 'artistic exercise' it's very creative!

The Happy Squirrel

Don't forget the original name of the card, Le Bateleur, a kind of trickster performer. In esoteric circles, this idea connects back to Mercury, both the psychopomp and the practical joker. Thoth, god of wisdom is also connected to this card, always accompanied by the Cynocephalus Ape, who's job it was to always distort and conceal the wisdom of the god. This is to say that in every form of communication there is a seed of deceit. If I describe an apple to you as red, I'm lying, because my red isn't your red, and I'm not even mentioning the yellow parts. So, your experience of the apple is distorted and you don't know as much about it as you would think.

Closrapexa, thanks for this. I have this deck. Tarot of the New Vision. I hardly use the deck but use the handbook extensively. Your explanation is brilliant.

The Happy Squirrel

I personally do not think this is a gimmick, and also do not think that this is a mere artistic exercise. The point of view of the creator(s) is certainly not the only one. But by presenting theirs, it forced me to think outside of the traditional parameters set by RWS, and it made me think about my own perspectives on things.

Like the Justice card for example. That really struck me. King Salomon and the splitting of the baby. This card was what made me bought the deck, even if the artistic visuals is not really my style.

And now the monkey in the Magician card (thanks to closrapexa). I think it is brilliant.