What is your favorite tarot deck of all time?

Penthasilia

So completely surprised this popped up again- and laughing because the two decks I listed when I asked in 2012, yup- I no longer own them.

So I guess, in essence, my favorite tarot deck would have to be the Etteilla- simply because that is the one deck, rain or shine, that has never left my collection- even though I don't use it often as the readings take so much time.

Richard

Wow, and that hasn't changed in... a week, since your last post! ;)

Mine is (surprise surprise!) the Thoth. It's been that for so long I've practically stopped posting in threads like these because I feel like a cliché!

The ISIS doesn't have all that astrology and Kabbalah stuff that got layered onto tarot to make it seem more complicated. :joke:

Michael Sternbach

Above all, I enjoy the great variety in Tarot decks. Each is unique and quite incomparable! For me, different decks are for different purposes. Some are mostly for study, some for practical work - in the latter case, which deck I prefer is often decided by the topic.

But overall, the one I resonated with the most right from the start is the Thoth. This hasn't changed in nearly 30 years. More recently, I developed a similar connection with the Liber T, which retains much of the symbology of the Thoth but adds the astrological imagery of the decans.

nisaba

I have a deck that I'm wildly enthusiastic about, and have been for twenty years.

But I can't say it's my favourite deck of all time.

There are decks I haven't owned yet. There are decks I might own in the future. Who am I to say that out there isn't a deck I will love more? I won't be able to make a decision like that until I am on my last legs, and can reasonably say that I'll never buy another Tarot deck. Until then, the question is a bit meaningless and even asking the answerer to be a big arrogant, as if, with a tiny, tiny slice of the decks out there, I am actually qualified to make a decision like that about "all time". "All time" clearly includes decks I might get in the future, not only the decks I have known in the past.

How can I possibly choose a deck from my past and present, and say that I will never, ever find one that I like more? That's a bit like telling - say - a writer that their first book was their best book: they're wasting their time and might as well die now.

Tanga

I thought I would open this up and see. We are all attracted to the "young, new thing"- but what is your absolute favorite, go-to deck that you could not live without?...

Deck "of all time"? - I don't know.

But deck that I would need to have a copy of before anything else:
The Gendron Tarot.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gendron/
It was "The One" after I had outgrown my very 1st Tarot deck and went looking high and low for a new one.

Gulliver

Tarot of Prague.

Cesar

Marseille - Pierre Madenié

RiverRunsDeep

After I posted in the MRP poll, I realized that my Bohemian Gothic
tarot, first edition Silver, is my favorite deck. Maybe not destined to be
my favorite of "all time", but it is my favorite "so far".

Sar

The Whimsical Tarot. Noone over and noone besides.

lark

In case of national or natural disaster, they'd all go with me. The only one staying behind in the burning building is the zerner farber.

I probably haven't been at this long enough to have a go-to deck.
Oh my gosh this made me laugh...now there's a new thread for you
WHICH DEAK WOULD YOU LEAVE BEHIND IN A BURNING BUILDING?

The decks that I would replace first, my favorite decks of my life and no surprises here...
Robin Wood and Greenwood.
They are the two decks that just click with my psyche.
(I don't know what that says about me...but come to your own conclusions.)
Fat chance replacing the Greenwood, but I would print off a copy and make my own if I had to ever replace it.
I did that before I could find a real copy and the printed version actually has better color saturation than the real deck.