What Tarot card backs do you prefer?

Luna-Ocean

Hi

I'm interested to know when buying a Tarot deck do you like a plain, patterned or maybe the decks signature name printed on the backs?

I have seen many decks with interesting type card backs and for the creator this must be considered important as that could add more interest for the buyer/collector when looking for the right deck to buy. In my Rider waite collection i think the most interesting card back i have is the University press and a RW clone with a white star on purple card back.

What about a card back with the decks name title printed on them? i have not seen many of these although i liked the Tarot of witches blue backs with the films 007 signature.

J.K. Rider Waite Tarot by Seigan Nakajima, images from my own deck this is the later edition
with the white star backs.

AJ

I'm using Da Vinci Enigma Tarot this week, each back is different. Or if there is a pattern I've not seen it.
This is the Ace of cups, devil, and 6 of wands, all upright

very cool

Attachments

• Da Vinci EnigmaTarot Tarot  backs.jpg
    Da Vinci EnigmaTarot Tarot backs.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 96

Barleywine

I really don't worry about the card backs too much, other than to say right up front that I find the borderline garish "neon-Tartan" backs of some of the RWS packs especially irritating. I'm partial to the energetic backs of the Aquarian deck, but I wish it was something other than bright blue. Of course, the one I see the most in use is the Rose Cross of the Thoth deck. Even though I use reversals to a certain extent, I don't care if the card backs aren't fully-reversible so as not to advertise a card's orientation. The art-work (and, of course, the symbolism) on the front drives my buying decisions; the backs I can ignore for the most part. (But raise your hand if you can't stomach the Haindl's unsettling "eye" :))

Darkmage

My fave card back has to be the University Press RWS with the pink backs and the ankhs.

The standard US Games tartan backs just get boring after a while.

Honestly, most of the time I don't care that much about the card backs. I'm like Barleywine--I care about the art on the front of the cards. The only time I care about the backs is with standard playing cards as I collect those too. There's only so much one can do with the standard playing card format--the backs are what make those interesting, not the front. It's the reverse of Tarot in that regard.

Maan

For i while i thought i didn't care that much about the backs. But since working with the tarot of te Absurd, i really love that deck, i discovered i don't like to much white on my backs. because thet get smudged easily and then you can pick out the different cards by the stains and smudges.
Guess before htis deck i never worked much with cards that have white backs.

Laura Borealis

I like a nice card back. It adds to the experience for me. I'm just as happy with an understated, plainish back though, if it fits the aesthetic of the deck. The repeating patterns on historic decks are lovely. I'm very fond of my Noblet, for instance.

But more ornate patterns are good too. I love the Wizard Tarot backs, though I don't own the deck. They're so rich and celestial.

Attachments

• wizard_back.jpg
    wizard_back.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 86

Laura Borealis

I'm using Da Vinci Enigma Tarot this week, each back is different. Or if there is a pattern I've not seen it.

very cool

I really like those! Can you join them up like puzzle pieces?

Luna-Ocean

very cool

AJ i like the look of that card backs with the Da Vinci Enigma, a nice contrast with the colours as well.

Luna-Ocean

ana what interesting card backs i liked them all, especially the Robin Wood's it looks like a celtic knot pattern which i like alot.