What's with that cat?

Deana

I read in a book once that the black cat represents "bad omen" which I thought was bull because I've owned a three consecutive black cats (every cat I've lived with for most of my life, in fact, has been black) and "bad omen" is about the last thing that would come to my mind when I see one on a Tarot card.

Tree Sprite

Ah..did I forget to mention my history with black cats?

Chutney - the first and most loyal but sadly departed after a long struggle with mental illness, now comfortably at home under my lemon tree.
Pickle - the big black thug who means well, but isn't terribly bright, and lastly
Olive - the small and flighty fairy cat....

Probably all reflections of my own personality depending on the day, and maybe the attraction is just because it's a black cat.

catlin

Cats are often associated with feminine qualities but do you also know the Egyptian lore that the Cat Goddess Basted was snorted out of the left nostril of the fierce war Goddess Sechmet (depicted with a lion's head)?

So cats also stand for South, heat, desert, Egypt. When in old Egypt a cat died ppl sheared off their eyebrows as a symbol of grieve.

Killing a cat in old Egypt was put under death penality.

Besides, cats are associated with lunar aspects (their pupils change the shape from round to slits and vice versae) and they usually go hunting in the twilight / at night.

Parzival

I think the cat is the lunar complement to the sunflower -- this lady has a dynamic balance of solar creativity and lunar poetic imagination. She's fiery with a mix of fantasy. Intelligent, sympathetic. Focussed, playful.

Fulgour

gotcha

I can almost remember the first time I saw this darling cat...
and the shiver of warmth as I realised it had seen me first!