When a postion requires a card that's already used

Hemera

I know what you mean because I have been wondering this myself sometimes. But I think you already have the answer here:
Adriana said:
I noticed once that the queen of wands fell in one position, then the page of wands fell in another, and I had the feeling it was the same person described.
Your intuition told you that both Wands were pointing towards the same person. So the cards "knew" that you would understand the message? -Brillefint faktiskt :D

SunChariot

Adriana said:
Ok, this is a bit weird question lol. But lets say you have a big spread, for example the horoscope spread with 12 positions. So obviously you will pick the card in each position that is most descriptive. But after a while what if the deck "wants" to use a card in a position that is already placed in a previous one? What happens then? Will a card in the same suite appear?

I noticed once that the queen of wands fell in one position, then the page of wands fell in another, and I had the feeling it was the same person described.
What are your experiences around this? Wouldn't that potentially ruin the reading?
Tarot decks are made to be used with all kinds of spreads, including large ones. They have enough cards in them to work in the large spreads just as well as in smaller ones.78 is a lot of cards.:grin:

If the same answer (card) were applicable to two positions in the spread, then that card would come up in one instance (the most defined instance of it) and the other position would show the situation from another angle or point of view. Both would be accurate, but would look the situation in differenat ways or portray different angles of it.

Just as when you tell 5 friends about a situation in your life, each will see it a bit differently, even if all may be a accurate in different ways.

As for the Page and Queen of Wands, that depends greatly on how you read, but they could represent the same person if that is what you felt. Not to sidetrack the discussion too much, but the way I use the courts they ALL represent the same person, the querent or the person the question was about. For me all the courts just represent different aspects of where the person is inside in relation to the question.

Hope that helps,

Babs

Rovay

Hmpf, when you are drawing cards normally, and you are concentrated enough, I just can't see how a card can fall in the wrong place.

kd87

I get this frequently. Go with your intuition... :D For me, it typically means the deck is telling me the same thing, or talking about the same person.

Topsy

I agree with MissJo that there are enough cards in the deck for a few to have overlapping meanings. Your intuition is key. The Page and Queen of Wands are a bit different if you're going with a "by-the-book" interpretation, but your intuition told you that they were referring to the same person, so trust your own judgement on this one. :) Although they have slightly different nuances, they both refer to an extrovert person (probably a woman), one who is fun-loving, likes attention and all those other Wandsy characteristics.

If the deck wanted to stress a different part of this person's personality, you might have drawn the Empress for the second card instead. This time, the overlapping traits would be more maternal, so her creative, nurturing and regal characteristics would be emphasised. Similarly, drawing the 9 of Pentacles might have emphasised the Queen's strongly independent streak.

Hope I explained myself well. I don't think 12 is an especially large spread to use either... It's only slightly bigger than the Celtic Cross, one of the most common spreads in Tarot. But I have seen some ridiculously big spreads with over 30 cards, and then I think you WOULD be having problems (since the deck might want to represent the same person or characteristic 3 or 4 separate times).

Rev_Vesta

For me personally, different cards can give similar messages and intuitively trusting what the first thought is gives you the answer...

Whether you use just one deck or two seperate decks in a reading the cards will usually give you the exact message that is needed......

If you place the twelve cards that relate to the zodiac in that spread then shuffle and allow the next lot of cards to be randomly drawn.. they will be absolutely perfect for the reading..... TRUST in self that you will understand the message completely....No card will be in the wrong place....

martykens

Adriana But after a while what if the deck "wants" to use a card in a position that is already placed in a previous one? What happens then? Will a card in the same suite appear?[/QUOTE said:
Adriana, I understand what you mean. While I myself don't use alot of big spreads for myself in readings, when I read for other people I often wonder if the message being presented for their benefit could be clearer if perhaps one card could be duplicated for multiple questions within one single spread.
In the spirit of learning and play, (which I personally chose to adopt when working with Tarot) I've toyed around with the idea of combining two identical decks to see if such cards would "reassert" themselves. I am unsure of this topic has been explored in the past, or if even suggesting such a thing is blasphemous to those that chose to work with tarot as an nonadjustable system, but I'm always looking for unique ways to approach such a fascinating divination tool.
If you chose to experiment with your deck in this way feel free to PM me with your findings! :)

Adriana

Adriana, I understand what you mean. While I myself don't use alot of big spreads for myself in readings, when I read for other people I often wonder if the message being presented for their benefit could be clearer if perhaps one card could be duplicated for multiple questions within one single spread.
In the spirit of learning and play, (which I personally chose to adopt when working with Tarot) I've toyed around with the idea of combining two identical decks to see if such cards would "reassert" themselves. I am unsure of this topic has been explored in the past, or if even suggesting such a thing is blasphemous to those that chose to work with tarot as an nonadjustable system, but I'm always looking for unique ways to approach such a fascinating divination tool.
If you chose to experiment with your deck in this way feel free to PM me with your findings! :)

I have been thinking about combining my connolly and mystic dreamer (shuffling will be weird considering how different the cards are). In that case the correspondent cards wouldn't be identical as they are different decks, so I'm curious to know how that turns out lol.

martykens

I have been thinking about combining my connolly and mystic dreamer (shuffling will be weird considering how different the cards are). In that case the correspondent cards wouldn't be identical as they are different decks, so I'm curious to know how that turns out lol.

Awesome! It might work better to use two different decks. The Death card in The Mystic Dreamer for example has a distinctly different feel from the Connolly (that card is called Transformation if I recall), but together such a deck could have a voice unique to you.
You've just inspired me.......I might just combine my Deviant Moon and Magical Forest })

lilangel09

The cards will fall where they need to. If the a card with a certain meaning has already been placed in a previous position and cannot be used again, the card with the most similar meaning to the previous card (to you at the time) will show up. Whatever needs to be communicated will be communicated, and the cards that show up will facilitate that.