Where do I start?

Scion

Hey,

Journalwise, if you're thinking digital, consider using Orphalese Tarot software. No canned meanings, loads of versatility, fanastic spread designer and journaling features. The demo is even fully featured so you could try befor eyou buy.

For one thing, it's amazingly versatile for readings and keeping track of notes on cards. For another thing, I think the Gilded is available for use with it. And if you get into the habit of keeping notes on radings, it allows you to save all your readings as separate documents WITH pictures. Very useful. PPlus your notes on the individual cards is split between your personal notes, and more geenral notes.

Amazing software. Free to try with three decks. But VERY much worth the registration fee. Hands down the best Tarot software.

www.orphalese.net

farmergiles

Hmm I feel I might not be doing the Tarot justice by doing virtual readings. When I mentioned the journal I just meant a nice template to write on including the rectangles for the spread rather than just a piece of lined paper! Excel will probably suffice for that purpose but thanks anyway!

gregory

Scion said:
Hey,

Journalwise, if you're thinking digital, consider using Orphalese Tarot software. No canned meanings, loads of versatility, fanastic spread designer and journaling features. The demo is even fully featured so you could try befor eyou buy.

For one thing, it's amazingly versatile for readings and keeping track of notes on cards. For another thing, I think the Gilded is available for use with it. And if you get into the habit of keeping notes on radings, it allows you to save all your readings as separate documents WITH pictures. Very useful. PPlus your notes on the individual cards is split between your personal notes, and more geenral notes.

Amazing software. Free to try with three decks. But VERY much worth the registration fee. Hands down the best Tarot software.

www.orphalese.net
What he says. You can use it with more than three decks by cheating a bit - PM me of you wish to know this.... (I am registered, but while I was waiting I found out.... })) It's BRILLIANT.

farmergiles

Is this software something that does your readings for you or is there a means of simply inputting what your "hands on" reading was and then typing notes as opposed to writing in a journal?

If it's the latter, it may be a tempting prospect as I only have 1 deck anyway (not inc the old Starter Tarot deck which i dont bother with now I got the Gilded one).

I've reached a stage in the Beginners book where I've touched up on the history (trumps game with 5 suits, etc) and read up on the spreads and various rituals (some of which annoyingly I can't do as I think my landlord is skeptical on fire hazards which includes incense sticks! :p). Now I'm at the point where in both books (the companion and Mark's book) where I got to learn the meanings of each card.

Whats the reccomendation that readers have for kick-starting the learning process as 78 card meanings is daunting even without reversals. Things have been made a little easier though as while reading that beginners book I learnt what the general meaning is of each suit which I didn't know before (cups for emotional empathy, swords for logic and thinking, etc). Already an interesting read and I can reccomend it to new readers like myself.

Scion

Then Orphalese will do exactly what you're wanting it to do.

You can recreate physical spreads with notes etc. for the purposes of retrieving them later. It's why I'd thought of it above. One of it's primary functions is to streamline the notes and journaling process. And since you can associate nootes with indfividual cards AND with a spread AND with spcifice cards in a specific reading you can be extremely detailed without using reams and reams of paper.

Even more importantly, those notes can be accessed at any point when you're working with your deck the software. So as you acuqire understanding your Orphalese will reflect (and store) it. This software is NOT intended to produce canned readings (thankfully) but can let you track complicated interrelated notes on the fly. And since you can use the Gilded directly IN the software you can even blow up the cards on screen to see details in a way that would require a jeweler's loop in real life. It will even sort the deck and let you "free select" cards for easy location during the notes process.

Beyond that, the flexibility of the spread design component, the options for different types of shuffling/dealing/reading, and the literally infinite number of decks you can carry with you (on a laptop, say) make it a must buy... even if you only "do" readings with your physical deck.

Brilliant program. You should at least try it. And the demo is fully featured so you'll know straight away if it's something that will help you. I can't imagine it wouldn't.

gregory

You do the readings; it shuffles, draws and lays out (you can create your own spreads.) SOME of the decks have tags with the generic meanings on; you can show these or not, as you please. You can set it to no reversals if you are like me, or whatever percentage you want of reversals (random.)

You've nothing to lose by downloading the free version !

Oops cross posted. But what he said. It is BRILLIANT for learning if nothing else; when I started, even shuffling got me all nervy ! you know - did I do it enough; did I drop anything, damn I dropped everything, etc.....

farmergiles

I'd rather do the shuffling, dealing, reading etc, with the actual deck otherwise I'm making a connection with a computer program rather than the deck. However I like the streamlined journal aid so I'll no doubt give the demo a bash.

Greg Stanton

I wish that software would run on a Mac. I know a lot of people that us PCs, but I personally don't know anyone who has a Windows machine. I suppose I could install windows on my Mac. Seriously tho, who wants to?

Any plans for a Mac version?

Scion

Actually, I know there are people running it under the PC emulation on the Mac. I know I've read about this option on the forum somewhere... you might do a search for "Macintosh OS" or something... I'll say Greg, whatever the headache is, this software is worth it.
farmergiles said:
I'd rather do the shuffling, dealing, reading etc, with the actual deck otherwise I'm making a connection with a computer program rather than the deck. However I like the streamlined journal aid so I'll no doubt give the demo a bash.
I hear you. And I read mostly with physical decks... but there's simply no better way to keep track of notes annd reasdings in real time. A hugekly efficient and practical tool even if you're doing physical readings. I was a skeptic at first, and now I have the zeal of the converted.

farmergiles

The program is nice I'll give it that. But annoying that my PC is in a different room to the table where I do my readings (doesnt really feel all mystical and stuff doing a card reading on your PC desk!) So I'm kinda doing the reading, then remembering the info in my head, then going to PC and typing it on the Wizard thing.