Where Does One Find Work,...

Baroli

Ok, this is probably going to touch on a lot of subjects so please bear with me.

I have long been mildly envious (face it, I am jealous,:rolleyes: lol) of my west coast friends, brother, and sister readers, of their psychic fairs, and having a way to do that thing that we all love to do,....read. Aside from private appointments and one or two public reading gigs that really came out of the blue, there really isn't that kind of constant thing around here at the shore in Central Jersey, until the summertime and what there is of a constant every Saturday type thing, you need to belong to a store where there are already established readers. The store is the one who puts the gig on. I find that I prefer working as a freelancer. It allows me the freedom to do my own booking and negotiations etc.

So the question I posed to myself was where can I find work? This reminds me of when I was a musician (singer/bassplayer) and asking the same question. The answer is in the same place. The private party.

Oh Baroli, we know that; people are always doing private parties for charities or whatever and you would be right. But have you considered working a wedding reception?? I didn't until just recently and thought I would share with you my experience. The reception isn't until April 26th, so we have got plenty of time.

Word of mouth is the best way, IMO, to get yourself out there. If you are good at what you do, word gets around. Remember the gig I had at the restaurant? Well, feedback was slow in coming, but finally it is starting to payoff. I got 1-2 private appointments out of that, but the Universe gave me this gift of a wedding reception.

I mean, what a novel idea. You know you are going to have at least 50 people at the reception, you know you are going to read for the bride and groom and the rest of the wedding party, the others will follow suit. The other good thing is that you are being contracted for say 4 hours of work at a fixed price. Now I know, at a fair, depending on your rates you will probably make a little bit more than what I am contracted for, but see I like to read, I enjoy doing this, and haven't been doing public face to face in a long while, I like to think that I am being prepared and taught something by the Universe.

So I am contracted to work from 6:00 to 10:00. I broke down the time in terms of hourly rate of pay and came up with what I considered a fair amount, which is what the bride and parents also felt was ok as well. I also reserved the right to put up the tip jar and of course my business cards. All of this has to be agreed upon including where I am to conduct the readings, what I am to wear (Good Lord, I need to get something :bugeyed:), before I say yes, I will do your party.

One of my sitters, at the restaurant gig was engaged and thought this would be a really cool thing to have at her reception (no it wasn't Dick and his girlfriend, lol). I agree with her, this is a really cool thing, besides having a band there (potential sitters during their break).

Now this is all fine for someone like me, who likes word of mouth advertising, but what if you want to actively pursue this in terms of putting yourself out there? May I suggest the Wedding Showcase? This is the time of the year when places will put on a wedding showcase and invite various vendors, ie musicians, photographers, caterers, tarot card readers, to come in and give samples of what they do. In short, it is a gathering place for an audition. If you are just starting out and want to get your name out there, this may be a good place to start. I am doing one the 2nd weekend of May, which should prove to be interesting and I will be commenting on that later.

Now my next question is what deck(s) will I be using. Well, I will probably go with the Victorian Romantic and the Boho Goth. I like the whole idea of light and dark. It give a type of symmetry and balance to my readings.

What I will wear? Well, the parents wanted me in a costume, which I refused. As cute and as theatrical that looks, it isn't my style. I will go with what I would wear to a reception.

So, in a couple of weeks I will give an account of the reception and how things went. Please add whatever you would like on this thread, it's for everybody to learn and maybe get ideas from. :D

afrosaxon

Wow...I never thought of a wedding reception (and those wedding expos/showcases) as possible reading venues! BRILLIANT!

Of course, folks are gonna ask about their love lives...yes, yes, yes!

Good deck choices too...romantic, luurrrrvrely. ;)

Good stuff, Baroli! Please let us know how it goes.

T.

Major Tom

Congratulations. Good gig!

You mustn't limit yourself. There's all sorts of public events that accept readers. I'm doing a Country Fair this weekend. Check my website. ;)

franniee

I am having the same issues Baroli. There is a store that I could approach but I get so shy at times. :rolleyes: I think word of mouth is the key. I wish we had psychic fairs as well - they sound like fun. :)

congrats on the wedding reception....that is an odd one but cool! :D

Baroli

I love to think outside the box. I did all the time when it comes to music and finding work that way, why not use the same ideas and strategies?

The Wedding Showcase should be interesting. Basically, it is a place to audition. I give out readings and hopefully business cards and perhaps people will want to see something of entertainment besides a band for dancing.

Michelle

Congratulations on a great gig, Baroli ! That sounds like so much fun :).

Umbrae

Dear Barb;

Small intimate psychic fairs. That’s your answer. There are a few in your area, you’ve just not found them yet.

Hit every metaphysical store – look for the locally published ‘Enlightenment Rags’, and start looking. Hunt ‘Craig’s List’.

(Metaphysical Store – ever thought about the term? Like is it there or not?)

Get into the small fair circuit.

Problem: Most fairs take a percentage of your ‘take’. This can become usurious. Out where I am, a bunch of us banded together and created a co-op, much to the dismay of the organizers. Our co-op does four shows a month.

If you cannot find a group to join – how about starting your own. Find more reader folks (palmists, tarotists, runesters, scryers, folks who read stuff…) and create you own co-op!

Create places for you to read!

franniee

I would do it with you B. I know we aren't geographically perfect but I could come to jersey or something - meet you in between. :)

Baroli

Dear Dan;

Thank you for your suggestions. Metaphysical stores do indeed abound and they also sponsor the small intimate type fairs you are talking about, but they also use their own staff to do the readings, and don't take on "outsiders". Pity, some of the things I have been open to try and succeed in, astound me, LOL. Ahhh, well,......moving on.

Starting a,...I guess you would call it a Reader's Guild might work. I will search it out some more. Ooh Franniee you must have your psychic hat with the beer can antennae on. :laugh: I was just thinking of you.

franniee

Baroli said:
Dear Dan;

Thank you for your suggestions. Metaphysical stores do indeed abound and they also sponsor the small intimate type fairs you are talking about, but they also use their own staff to do the readings, and don't take on "outsiders". Pity, some of the things I have been open to try and succeed in, astound me, LOL. Ahhh, well,......moving on.

Starting a,...I guess you would call it a Reader's Guild might work. I will search it out some more. Ooh Franniee you must have your psychic hat with the beer can antennae on. :laugh: I was just thinking of you.

:laugh: You make me laugh!!!

No beer cans. ROFLMAO

I have been blanketing the world with e-mails trying to drum up business. So I am in this frame of mind this week. :) A readers Guild sound nice.

There is a shop in the next town over from me - and they want me to fill out this form... I'll get to it but it is daunting! Other than that they have these psychic fairs at this hotel - I guess I should check it out.