Which card shows up for an affair.

lord_ewin

rif said:
I think that's another thing that varies according to whose method you use. I believe that the French tradition relies on distance this way, and maybe the Belgian also. Is makes sense because I think you posted that you learned from a French book. (lucky you, too, able to access the Grand Jeu books in French!)

The methods taught by Treppner and Britta, however, make more use of relative positions and sequences. I don't recall distance being a factor in this fashion.

So the only certainty is that there are no certainties! I think this thread shows exactly why someone should start with, and stick with, one method of reading Lenormand cards. Otherwise it's hard to coalesce the variances into a reading.

Yes, that's absolutely true. LOL Either way, whatever method, when you realise you've got a juicy reading, it's rather hard not to grin. One thing we can all agree on, Lenormand works. I don't care how you use them. ;) I just wish I'd made notes of the actual 9X4 I'd done with those people (though you can hardly do so at parties)... it would make for an interesting analysis in either method.

By the way, thanks for the insights on Treppner. I didn't realise that the method relied on positions and sequences. That's a small let down seeing as (like you pointed out) I learned the French method for reading the cards. So we in fact have three? o_O No wonder people aren't agreeing on anything. It's too bad that Sylvie's book changed some of the definitions and further divided everyone (I'm sure it wasn't intended though). For example, I honestly can't see dogs meaning an affair, while the book seems to me a given that someone is trying to hide something, by nature, an affair is already hidden. I believe it's more the ability of keeping it discreet (and hidden) that's of consequence.

I once told a woman that her husband was cheating on her, but that he wouldn't be able to hide it from her much longer. Lo and behold a few weeks later, the woman he was cheating with called her up to tell her about the affair (insited that he was her man, not hers)! Don't underestimate the ability to keep an affair quiet which I usually associate with the book (in my opinion).

Miss Divine

rif said:
So the only certainty is that there are no certainties! I think this thread shows exactly why someone should start with, and stick with, one method of reading Lenormand cards. Otherwise it's hard to coalesce the variances into a reading.

So very true!
I started with a different system before I started using Sylvie's method.
When using Sylvie's method using her no layout system works great.
However, it's not working for me with the grand plateau, and I know it's because I used a different system before when I started.

For instance, my previous system uses different meanings for several cards.
For example, Sylvie uses the fox for work, my previous system uses the Moon for work. And still in grand plateau layout the Moon keeps showing up for work, even though I've abandoned that system. And the bear card old tradition is often the mother card, and with Sylvie's system it's cash flow.
Well, not once has it showed up for cash flow, it always refers to a mother or grandmother. It's really hard to do an accurate grand plateau reading now because of this. It's become more of a puzzle which pieces are very difficult to fit.

Anyone else with these issues?

Miss Divine

lord_ewin said:
Yes, that's absolutely true. LOL Either way, whatever method, when you realise you've got a juicy reading, it's rather hard not to grin. One thing we can all agree on, Lenormand works. I don't care how you use them. ;) I just wish I'd made notes of the actual 9X4 I'd done with those people (though you can hardly do so at parties)... it would make for an interesting analysis in either method.

By the way, thanks for the insights on Treppner. I didn't realise that the method relied on positions and sequences. That's a small let down seeing as (like you pointed out) I learned the French method for reading the cards. So we in fact have three? o_O No wonder people aren't agreeing on anything. It's too bad that Sylvie's book changed some of the definitions and further divided everyone (I'm sure it wasn't intended though). For example, I honestly can't see dogs meaning an affair, while the book seems to me a given that someone is trying to hide something, by nature, an affair is already hidden. I believe it's more the ability of keeping it discreet (and hidden) that's of consequence.

I once told a woman that her husband was cheating on her, but that he wouldn't be able to hide it from her much longer. Lo and behold a few weeks later, the woman he was cheating with called her up to tell her about the affair (insited that he was her man, not hers)! Don't underestimate the ability to keep an affair quiet which I usually associate with the book (in my opinion).

Sylvie's method doesn't teach that the dog means someone is cheating UNLESS there are cards around it to indicate that. And it also depends on the question being asked. However what she does teach is that the dog is always someone known to the querent OR the charged key card.
It's hard to explain if you're not familiar with her method. Doing my best though.:D

lord_ewin

Miss Divine said:
Sylvie's method doesn't teach that the dog means someone is cheating UNLESS there are cards around it to indicate that. And it also depends on the question being asked. However what she does teach is that the dog is always someone known to the querent OR the charged key card.
It's hard to explain if you're not familiar with her method. Doing my best though.:D

No, that makes sense. I'd agree with that seeing as I see the dog as someone from your assortment of acquaintances and friends. With tha explained, the dog in an affair's spread might make more sense in that; "It's someone you know."

Thanks! :D

lord_ewin

Miss Divine said:
For instance, my previous system uses different meanings for several cards.
For example, Sylvie uses the fox for work, my previous system uses the Moon for work. And still in grand plateau layout the Moon keeps showing up for work, even though I've abandoned that system. And the bear card old tradition is often the mother card, and with Sylvie's system it's cash flow.
Well, not once has it showed up for cash flow, it always refers to a mother or grandmother. It's really hard to do an accurate grand plateau reading now because of this. It's become more of a puzzle which pieces are very difficult to fit.

Anyone else with these issues?

Yes, I get this all the time. I've decided to stop wondering about ppl's definitions and am now sticking to the ones I've assimilated. I think it's the: "The cards know you," phenomenon.

rif

Or you know the cards. I agree. :)

The Dog on its own is a symbol of trust and loyalty, in Sylvie's system. She also makes heavy use of it to indicate someone known to someone else involved in the reading.

So if you are reading about a man and the Dog card is near him in the line of cards, then the Dog is someone known to the man. This may be someone indirectly known in the same social circles, or it may someone well known, as the case if it's an affair. The cards around the Dog would help show its nature.

Incidentally, the Dog is also used to indicate something like a doctor --what I call a traditionally trusted professional. It all comes down to context, of the reading and combinations.

Phoenix Rising

lord_ewin said:
No wonder people aren't agreeing on anything. It's too bad that Sylvie's book changed some of the definitions and further divided everyone (I'm sure it wasn't intended though). For example, I honestly can't see dogs meaning an affair, while the book seems to me a given that someone is trying to hide something, by nature, an affair is already hidden. I believe it's more the ability of keeping it discreet (and hidden) that's of consequence.

Sylvie didn't change the meanings just because she wanted to be different, she was bought up with the traditional method and a family of well-known traditional readers, it was through observation of 25+years and over 18,000 clients reading experience that the same cards were repeatedly showing as the meanings that has come to be in her book. So when someone who is as well qualified and experienced and will give their time and effort to come on here to teach their knowledge can explain their way and definitions then there maybe something to compare? But no-one else has! So when you say further divided everyone? I didn't think there was a division or it was a competition between Sylvie and other methods? Whatever works for the reader, is all I say.

Dog is not the indicator that someone is having an affair, it's just bringing to attention that there is someone known to the key card. Other cards will indicate if this is so.

Phoenix