Which is really the first colour edition of the Crowley Thoth deck?

Rusty Neon

There are three different colour editions of the Crowley Thoth deck that come in a two-piece slipcase box, and one or more of them are thought to have been published circa 1969:

* Llewellyn Hong Kong printing (least often seen on eBay)
* Llewellyn U.S. printing
* Weiser U.S. printing (most often seen on eBay)

The similarities and differences between these three editions are discussed on the "Thoth - List of Editions" thread at:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=35594

But what are the respective publishing dates of these three editions? I've heard some say that the Llewellyn Hong Kong deck is the first colour edition of the Crowley Thoth, while others say that the Weiser deck is the first colour edition. From what I've read, the Weiser deck was published in 1978, so I keep wondering why it's claimed that it's the first colour edition of the Thoth. Was there perhaps an earlier colour edition of the Weiser that was indeed published circa 1969? (If so, I haven't seen scans of it.)

As well, I was wondering which of the three decks has the highest market value.

Thanks!
- Rusty
(has a Llewlleyn H.K. deck and a Llewellyn U.S. deck)

Dean

Hi Rusty

I believe the Weiser Thoth two part slip case was the very first to be printed in 1969, but i have not been able to find out if this was right.

As for the Llewellyn Thoth two part slip case i have had confirmation from an email i got from Llewellyn Publications, that they did in fact print their edition also in 1969 and again in 1970 with the Hong Kong edition.

I would say that the Hong Kong print would of been alot better then the US print, as this was a special Deluxe edition circa 1970 but i have not been able to compare my US edition with the Hong Kong's to see which one was better.

Lillie

Ages ago I was told that the first printing of the Thoth was the Llewellyn Hong Kong. And I think the post that first told me that is still here somewhere.
I thought at the time that I found something on the net that said so as well.
But I have not been able to find that again. Which is a shame, because I would like to see what it said.
So, although I believed that to be true, I actually have no evidence for it.

Since Jeanette has looked into this, and she believes the Weiser to have been the first, I see no reason to disagree.
I assume that the person who told me was wrong.

The Weiser in the two part box was out in the early 70's, presumably published in 69.
In 78 another weiser edition came out, in a normal box. I believe this was the same green printing as the USG of the time, but I think the box was the two of discs box. Can't be sure, but I believe it to be so.

Dean

Hi Lillie

That would be very interesting if the Llewellyn US and H.K editions were the first Thoths to be published.

After getting some idea from Llewellyn publications on when they did actually print those two editions, i haven't been able to get any further information about Weiser's involvement with their two part slip box.

fyreflye

Rusty Neon said:
As well, I was wondering which of the three decks has the highest market value.

Whichever deck attracts the most clueless bidders to the most unscrupulous seller.

;)

Fulgour

I've missed you!

fyreflye said:
Whichever deck attracts the most clueless bidders
to the most unscrupulous seller.
It's a pity life is so short...my ignorance
hasn't a chance to really fully blossom.

Rusty Neon

fyreflye said:

That vendor's (unmet) reserve was set too high in my humble view, given other eBay auctions. But then I may be out of the loop on current pricing.

gregory

I'm sure I bought my Weiser before 1978. What more can I say (I think about 1972-4 but cannot swear to this.... it was a long time ago and I didn't keep as detailed records then.)

If Mr Weiser now writes in and says I couldn't have I will just shoot myself :( But I am CERTAIN I bought it before I went to U of T in 1977, so............

Oh hum. On line research yields this rather strange page - scroll down to bargains - and don't get excited; it is an archive page !

Now since I bought mine while strolling through Toronto and was not even in CANADA by that time (pause for frenzied weeping), there may/must have been more than one Weiser printing. I do like to add to the confusion. :p

gregory

Fulgour said:
It's a pity life is so short...my ignorance
hasn't a chance to really fully blossom.
OMG, you mean mine has further to come out ??? Ouch.

I think anyone can get almost anything for one with no borders on the backs just now !!!! :p I recently got a greenie for under $10. No box, so I am still unclear which publisher was responsible (I know it says on TG but haven't time just now ! I have to use my connection sparingly when I can get one at all !)

If anyone has a red and black UH card they don't want, by the way..... I have a rainbow one, but it feels wrong.... and my greenie (which the all powerful, all knowing Lillie says should have had it) hadn't; it was in a wooden box with just the 78 cards and no extras of any kind !