Which King would do this?

sharpchick

It's a toss up for me. . . would it be the King of Swords or Cups who would withhold affection as a method of punishing someone?

Papageno

King of Swords

coyoteblack

King of swords the king of cups would get go into depression trying to hold back emotions. Although the king of pents might do that as well if he sees at as a end to a means.

Frannie

King of swords

magpie9

King of Swords. He's the only one emotionally cold enough to do it. If any of the others even went so far as to try it, they would relent quickly. Swords can do it for a looooong time.

Sophie

It's a mean thing to do - not very kingly. King of Swords is cool, but he's not mean. I would say a Queen of Swords - a man with that character would think it your just desserts. Or else a Reversed King of Cups - but he'd do it in a very manipulative way, not only in order to punish (as the Queen of Swords would) but in order to obtain something.

.traveller.

Fudugazi said:
It's a mean thing to do - not very kingly. King of Swords is cool, but he's not mean. I would say a Queen of Swords - a man with that character would think it your just desserts. Or else a Reversed King of Cups - but he'd do it in a very manipulative way, not only in order to punish (as the Queen of Swords would) but in order to obtain something.

I agree with this. I don't see emotional manipulation as being the MO of the King of Swords.

Thirteen

King Cups!

Cups.

King of Swords doesn't give affection as a reward and so wouldn't withhold it as punishment. King of Swords would withhold respect and access to his mind. He'd use silence, a lack of word, not a lack of affection, to get his point across.

But the King of Cups...oh, dear. He's all about emotions and he will CERTAINLY withhold them from you if he's unhappy with you. Think of all those great dads who are the loving fathers, cooking dinners for their families, sitting at the head of the table, hugging and loving their children....And then someone does something really wrong and what does this King of Cups do? He turns his back on them. And it really really hurts because it was there in the first place!

You have to GIVE love to withhold love. What each king *GIVES* is what they will *withhold* to punish. Hence, the King Swords is more likely to withhold his respect, not his love. He doesn't give enough love for a withholding of it to have any effect as a punishment. Love (affection as it were) is not what he bestows on those he favors, and it's not what they expect of him, and so will be hurt by his withholding it.

Make sense?

P.S. In regards to that "long time" argument...I don't see how that's relevant. King/Swords may be able to be cold and unkind for a long time, but he could be that way for any reason. That's the point. He doesn't GIVE people enough affection in his daily life to make his withholding it hurt. In comparison, the King Cups gives so much affection that withholding it even for a little while is going to hurt plenty. It's not how LONG the king withholds it, it's how much it hurts when he withholds it. And in that, the King/Cups wins hands down.

Papageno

Thirteen.....I considered that but I still feel the King/swords is more appropriate.
The very act of withholding love is an act of manipulation, it is malicious and premeditated.

a father who is displeased by a child does not necessarily withhold his love, he may be angry but anger is not always devoid of love. in fact, anger often results from frustration over issues of love.

wielding the promise of love as a tool or an instrument to manipulate.....or even as a weapon is ruthless and mercenary. in my mind this scenario is not in the realm of Cups.

at least that's how I see it :)

Indigo Rose

sharpchick said:
It's a toss up for me. . . would it be the King of Swords or Cups who would withhold affection as a method of punishing someone?

I think it could be either one, too. I see a passive-aggressive side to the King of Cups...kind of Cancer/Scorpio on a bad day. I think the King of Swords is certainly capable of it, too...but to me lacks the emotional reasons behind it.

Good question. :)

:heart: