Which Rider-Waite?

On a clear day

Hi,

I am a newbie and would like a Rider-Waite deck but am confused as to which one and the differences. I have seen a number listed on here and wonder which from the Rider-Waite, the Original Rider-Waite and the Universal Rider-Waite would people recommend? Also is there a lot of difference between them all and if you choose one other than the original-does anything change apart from the colouring?
I have also seen theRadiant, Albino and gold I think it was-am very confused now! Lol!
I'd appreciate any advice and I am sorry if this has been asked before and is 'old hat'.
I hope the post is in the right place.
Thank you.

mysticmonkey

In addition to this question I would like to add another as it seems to fit here. I hope you don't mind "On a clear day"?

Is there an edition of the Original Rider-Waite that doesn't have colouring where the Magician and several other characters look like they have the measles?
I actually like the muted colours of the ORW but the print quality for me is appalling. I have the version in the blue box. Found just about everywhere and printed in Italy.

Nevermore

Hello, I am also a newbie!
I can't tell you about all of the different versions, but I have seen the Radiant one firsthand, and for me I think the only difference is in the way the pictures look and the colouring as you said.
For me I really didn't like the Radiant RWS, most of the cards seemed to have an orange tint. The artwork, though was smoother than the main (but not original one)
I'm no expert but you'll probably have to pick the one that has the coloring that appeals to you as that will determine how you read with them. If you're like me, when you like the artwork, you'll connect with the cards better

Jewel

I do not consider myself a RWS expert, but I have owned 3 of the ones you mentioned: Regular RWS, the Universal, and the Radiant. The key difference is the coloring. Of these the Radiant, which is bright but beautifully colored is my favorite and the only one I kept (I use it for studies and contrasting with other decks).

The colors of the original just felt harsh to me. I could never connect with the deck. The color in the Universal is much more sublte and very well done. Until the Radiant came out it was my prefered RWS.

Hope this helps. I am sure you will get some responses from people who collect or study RWS decks that have more info then I am able to give you.

Sulis

The one I like the best is the Rider version (often found on ebay UK very cheaply). It comes in a blue 2 part box with a picture of The World dancer on the front.
It has a lovely matte finish and no copyright marks anywhere to be seen. The cards almost feel like fabric, they're gorgeous.
I think that the version available from US Games today with the Magician on the box has the same colours but the typeface has been changed from the lovely hand written one to computer text and the laminate is apparently shiny and not that nice - can't comment as I don't actually own a new version.

Lots of folks don't actually like the block colours in the standard RWS though and prefer a recoloured version such as The Universal Waite which is coloured in pastels by Mary Hanson-Roberts or the more vibrant Radiant Rider Waite (which again has a more plasticy lamination).
I've heard people say that the print quality is nicer on the pocket version of the Universal Waite than on the recent printing of it so if you wanted a full sized deck it may be worth trying to get one second hand - they turn up on ebay quite a lot.

The Original Rider (in the blue box with the roses and lillies pattern on the back of the cards) is a facsimile of an old deck and I really like this version.
The colouring is in the form of dots so it gives an old look and the blues have a muted green look.
As catbaloo has said though, the dot effect does look a bit rough in places (it doesn't bother me, I think it makes the deck look like old postcards and I really like that).

Joan Bunning has a page where she compares the versions but it was made before the Radiant RWS was published: http://www.learntarot.com/subjwv.htm

Tarot Passages also has a comparison of the different Waite decks: http://www.tarotpassages.com/waite.htm

and here is Aeclectics' Waite clones page: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-clones.shtml

Jewel

I had totally forgotten about the Diamond until I went to the site Sulis gave! By the way the Radiant is there. If you like psychodelic the Diamond is very cool. The problem is that the actual image is very very small and hard to get all the details. This is one of those I would have loved to have seen done in large size.

Abrac

All I can say is just look at all the different ones and pick the one you like best.

Myself, I like the basic RWS. Some of the older versions, such as those published by Rider/Waddingtons and Samuel Weiser are very nice.

I also like the Original Rider Waite very much. If you like the look of lithography you will probably like this one. If not then you won't. It is a reproduction of an early deck that was printed by lithography. That is what gives it that "pixelated" look. It is an exact reproduction, right down to the "oops" line on the Wheel of Fortune. I'm even starting to favor the greenish coloring over the light blue of the regular version.

Good luck!

6 Haunted Days

The original and basic RWS....I thought lines, drawings and colour were just very "flat" and horrible. Sparked no interest in me whatsoever.

I prefer the Illuminated....it really brought the RWS to vibrant life for me, just gorgeous colourings. They are a bit expensive though.

For something more in the normal price range I would prefer Universal. I love the softer, more detailed art and colours. A lot of details you never noticed pop out when you view this deck! It gets rid of that muddled look of the original USG one on the mass market.

wytchwood

It's so hard to say as they all have their good and bad points. I've never really loved a RWS deck but I have now got the International Icon which is a very close clone but I love it, and I use it loads. I think the Universal is a bit too pastel on some of the cards and has a bit of a washed out look IMO, the Radiant has rich colours and highly visible detail, but as a result some of the characters look a bit OTT in their bright outfits. The RWS is fairly ugly really, with its slapped on colour and orange blotchy skin tones, but I'd have to agree with Sulis that the texture is a lot nicer without the heavy laminate found on the Radiant and the Universal- although I've not heard anyone complain of this on the Universal, both my Radiant and Universal have the same thick plastic on them. I have a Rider Deluxe set, which is beautiful in terms of card quality etc. It is ulaminated, has lovely gilt edges and the backs have a much nicer green pattern than the tartan found on the normal Rider deck. A lot of people like the backs more on the Universal and Radiant, each have a slightly different starry sky pattern of stars on a dark blue background.

I think they all have their 'problems' for me which is why I've got well into the International Icon. It's the RWS but without the issues I have with the actual RWS.

I'm sure there have been quite a few threads with this topic, it seems it's a matter of personal preference. The detail is a lot more visible on the Universal, and yet more so on the Radiant, so this may be a deciding factor for you if you are yet to become familiar with the details and symbolism.

Zoe

Stormdancer

various RWS clones....

I have both the Radiant Rider and the mini rider by agmuller. I prefer the Radiant simply because the vibrant colors appeal to me, but I do know that some of the details of the original are missing in this deck. Someone once pointed out that on the Death card, the spur of the rider on horseback is actually shaped like an arrow and points to caves? or bushes?...this detail is not on the Radiant. Now When i read, i usully don't notice stuff like that, even knowing it's there, but If you're interested in stuff like that, might be best to have at least one original deck for study purposes.

'Tis a gift
Stormdancer