Which tarot-card would symbolize projective identification?

Embla

In a therapeutic tarot-reading, which card would symbolize the complex defense mechanism projective identification, you think?

I am thinking it would be a card that symbolizes being emotionally hi-jacked by somebody else, or spiritually possessed by somebody else´s problems or feelings.

Link to explanation of Projective Identification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projective_identification

Elnor

Maybe the Six of Pentacles?

I've felt that this could represent a co-dependant relationship; perhaps it could also be symbolic of projective identification because I suppose if someone was to relate to people (as an example based on the figures in the card) as if he expected to be treated as an inferior, it could provoke a domineering behaviour from some that he might come into regular contact with.

elnor

FMTarotstudy

What an excellent question, projective identification is a very complex defense. I have often felt that projective identification is one of the hidden geniuses of Melanie Klein and the British object relations movement because it is a defensive process that suggests a two or more person psychology (which has been growing in popularity as a modern paradigm shift in psychoanalysis, sometimes referred to as the relational perspective).

When looking at the card images alone, I think of any of the cards that show more than one individual (e.g., in the RWS stylized cards the 5 of swords, 10 of pentacles, The Lovers, 5 of wands, 6 of wands, 6 of pentacles etc.) which can also take a more positive slant (e.g., 2 of cups, 3 of cups, 4 of wands, 10 of cups, etc.). However, I believe context is everything when it comes to projective identification and that projective identification would have to be hinted at by the querent or client's perceptions of the interrelationships between individuals depicted on these cards more than anything else.

When allowing querents to project onto card images, especially when they reference themselves in relation to their perceptions of the images, I believe it is then possible to observe projective identification in virtually any card image. In such a case I beleive they are engaging in a relationship with such a card, thus they can be engaging in projective identification with the image. Again, I believe it is the context in which a person responds to a card image that will suggest whether projective identification is being used.

Above all I beleive a context of one's relationship has to be expressed while viewing the card(s), whereas referencing an image without this context brings little chance of uncovering projective identification.

(Although if I had to lay a bet on which card will most likely illicit this defence, my vote goes for the 5 of Swords.) :)

Forrest

Embla

Interesting thoughts and suggestions, Elnor and FMTarotstudy!

Context is very important, I agree, and like you say FMTarotstudy, projective material and ideas will manifest in the client when he or she comes into contact with basically any image.

And like you put it, "a context of one's relationship has to be expressed while viewing the card(s), whereas referencing an image without this context brings little chance of uncovering projective identification." True.

All this being said I think I´d still raise my eyebrow if the Devil showed up in a reading where possible projective identification was somehow touched upon!