Which Thoth deck should I buy?

Delirium

I'm new to Thoth, and I only have some garbage bootleg edition with muddy printing.
I was wondering what editions are widely available now, and out of these which one has the best stock, printing and overall the best quality?

Amazon.com has:
Thoth standard by US games (light purple box) 2 of disks on cover
Thoth small by USG (2 of disks)

amazon.uk has:
Thoth standard (green box USG) (2 of disks)
Pocket Swiss Thoth (USG, blue box) (2 of disks)

amazon.fr has:
"Original Thoth" german version, blue box with magus on cover
2 more "Original Thoth" with gold boxes and the empress on cover, standard and pocket (apparently by Urania)
Thoth Tarot by AGM Mueller, blue box with magus

I'm hopelessly confused.
***I would prefer an english version.
Thanks...

Stormdancer

There's a long thread HERE with loads of info...

I suggest a large version for study purposes, and I have a regular sized one for use. Both are USG newer editions.

Ross G Caldwell

Delirium said:
I'm new to Thoth, and I only have some garbage bootleg edition with muddy printing.

I'm sure you can find a collector who would love to have this garbage "bootleg" edition.

It sounds like a greenie, or even - if you are lucky - Llewellyn's (Weiser's?) 1969 edition.

Ms Magpie

I have just bought the standard green edition, here in Canada, I was not aware of the other edition, only thing is I have small hands and find it difficult to shuffle. Which I do in the upright position.

Barbara

Delirium

Ross G Caldwell said:
I'm sure you can find a collector who would love to have this garbage "bootleg" edition.

It sounds like a greenie, or even - if you are lucky - Llewellyn's (Weiser's?) 1969 edition.

I doubt it... it came without a box, wrapped in cellophane, its got grey borders and horrible card stock. It looks like a scanned and badly printed version of a superior deck. Its also in german, without any copyright.

If anyone wants it I'd gladly trade it for something I can use :D

@MS Magpie:
let me help you out with what I found out so far
USG has 3 editions:
Green, card size 9.5*14cm (the one you have)
Lavender, card size 7*11
Deep blue, 6*9 (small pocket size)

@Stormdancer - thanks

Ross G Caldwell

Delirium said:
I doubt it... it came without a box, wrapped in cellophane, its got grey borders and horrible card stock. It looks like a scanned and badly printed version of a superior deck. Its also in german, without any copyright.

If anyone wants it I'd gladly trade it for something I can use :D

Ah, yes, it really sounds like a bootleg version then. Thanks for the details. I can't imagine anyone would want it.

I'd buy any of the versions available - in English - as well as the Book of Thoth.

Generally people do use two versions - the smaller version for readings, and the larger version for "major" readings and study/meditation. That's how it worked out for me in any case. The smaller is easier to carry around and is "friendlier" for impromptu readings.

Grigori

For a first deck, I'd suggest either the USG large green box or the large blue box AGM. Essentially the same or nearly identical decks inside, depending on which version of the story is current. I think its easier to start studying from the larger version and then use a smaller if you struggle with the size when you're ready to start carrying it around with you.

gregory

Ross G Caldwell said:
Ah, yes, it really sounds like a bootleg version then. Thanks for the details. I can't imagine anyone would want it.
I might. I am a completionist. More details, please ?

Abrac

As far as overall best quality I would recommend these from Tarot Garden's Comparison Table.

Green Box 9.5 x 14 cm
Purple Box 7 x 11 cm
Large Swiss Blue Box B (later edition) 9.5 x 14 cm
Pocket Swiss Blue Box 6.7 x 9 cm
There's also a 7 x 11 cm Blue Box that's not on the table.

These are the best available right now in my opinion, and most widely available. They're all printed by the same printer, only the boxes are different for marketing purposes. The instruction booklet in the Green and Purple Boxes is by James Wasserman & Stuart Kaplan. The booklet in the Blue Boxes is by someone else though I can't recall his name, maybe someone else knows. :)

Delirium

gregory said:
I might. I am a completionist. More details, please ?

It came in a paper wrapper with the sun card art on it (I dont have it anymore) and cellophane. The cards are in german with a small fold out paper in Serbian. The colors are muted, the card stock is below average (extremely light plastification), ant its probably scanned and copied from the AGMueller version.

I believe the size of the cards is atypical, them being a little smaller than the lavender box USG version.

I'll happily be rid of it. Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a photo.

@Grigori and Abrac - thanks