Which thoth do I buy?

jeseryn

Buying a replacement for the deck I had years ago. I just don't wnat to end up with the green tinged deck. Which one from amazon should I buy? I have small hands so I don't want to get the big one either.

(amazon = free shipping) :)

thorhammer

As I understand it, jeseryn, only the large ones come with the green tint, and that's not all of them. I don't think you'd get one of them anyway - I think they're all older.

I think there was a thread recently (I'll look and come back if I find it) about someone having trouble with their new Thoth deck.

I'd personally steer clear of Amazon for this one, and go for eBay or trade for one on here. Heck, I've only ever done one reading with the Thoth and I have four of the buggers, so I doubt you'll have trouble getting one!

The small one is in the purple box. Also comes (as I understand) in the white "OTO" box, and I'd say that one would be more desirable, older, better printing.

\m/ Kat

ETA: Found it. Hope it helps.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=105644

Le Fanu

The recent thread, thorhammer, was about the mini Thoth. Somebody bought one which had been made in China and was very bad quality. Ah, yes... there´s the link..

If I were you and wanted to replace a well-loved deck, Id avoid buying it online unless I knew which edition I was getting. Amazon, no way (I agree with thorhammer) because they just toss any edition into the package. Id either put a plea out in the trading section of the forum asking for an older edition or buy it from a place (like Alida or Tarot Garden) where I feel I can actually ask because the service is more personal...

Alan Ross

Fairemaiden said:
This is a comparison table of the various Thoth decks provided courtesy of the Tarot Garden... Here ya go:

http://www.aeclectic.net/cgi/buyfra...pe=deck&id=4555
I didn't find a comparison table at the above link. Instead, I found it here:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

Incidentally, I couldn't find a listing for my own edition. I have a mini white box edition which lists US Games, but if I remember correctly (I don't have the deck with me right now), it was a Swiss printing. It has the three Magus versions and no odd tints, green or otherwise.

Alan

FaireMaiden

Alan... Well, you're absolutely right. Trying to get to the comparison table from AT doesn't work it seems. The address just stays the same. Thanks for pointing this out to me. I've now changed my saved 'Favourites' to reflect this.

SolSionnach

Alan,
I have that deck, as well - and it's not on the TG page. It was my first ever tarot deck, fwiw. I'm not trading it!

mary ventura

Jeseryn, I just PM'd you; I have one you might want (Purple box, 3 Magus cards).

Mary V

Alan Ross

sravana said:
Alan,
I have that deck, as well - and it's not on the TG page. It was my first ever tarot deck, fwiw. I'm not trading it!
After all the horror stories I've read about the different Thoth editions, I'm hanging on to mine as well. My first Thoth was one of the Big Ugly Green ones. I was so happy to get rid of that one and replace it with my pretty little Swiss mini.

Alan

Abrac

jeseryn said:
Buying a replacement for the deck I had years ago. I just don't wnat to end up with the green tinged deck. Which one from amazon should I buy? I have small hands so I don't want to get the big one either.

(amazon = free shipping) :)

I'm happy with the one I have. It's by US Games, regular size (2 3/4 x 4 5/16), purple box, ISBN 0880793082, not a greenie. In my booklet it says ©1978,1983,1987. In the newest edition there's another date added, I think it's 2000. I bought that version a while back and the quality didn't seem quite as good as my other one. The stock appeared a little thinner and one of the cards had an irregularity that I couldn't fix.