Who is the Magician?

Querant317

Still getting familiar with a few cards in my deck. In my many many readings, I think I may have only pulled the Magician once, if that. I currently see the Magician as a person who has the power to control the situation or get the results that they want. However, I feel like that's a trait that is seen in a few other cards as well.

What has been your experience and learnings about the Magician? Thinking back to old readings, what was he saying to you?

In regards to love, what has the Magician meant to you?

Thanks for sharing :)

Teheuti

It depends on the other cards, the question, the spread position, etc. I sometimes call him the "Me, Myself and I" card - similar to what you said in that the Magician believes he can do it (whatever "it" is). But watch out. Sometimes he can be a fast-talking manipulator and trickster. There are trickster aspects in both the Fool and the Magician; the Magician is more the con-man or huckster side of trickster. Or he can selflessly channel energy from above into the world below to make a garden bloom. He's a creator, a craftsman, and a communicator, too.

As far as love is concerned, he's definitely intriguing and exciting, but not always honest or dependable. Think of many of Johnny Depp's characters.

earthshine

Querant317, I will tell you of an experience I had with the Magician. I once had a person attacking me online. I told the story in depth elsewhere in the forum, and I won't go into a long detailed recount here. But at that time I wanted to use my Tarot cards to do a binding spell on this person. I have never cast a spell before, I have never involved myself into Wicca before, but I felt that was my only resource.

I drew a card for advice, and I got Reversed Magician. Which to me felt like the deck was saying: "You are using your energy for something detrimental."

Long and short of it, that is somehow what happened. I got into more trouble than I bargained for. (It did turn out well eventually in the end, but not without help from other people in this Forum.)

nisaba

Still getting familiar with a few cards in my deck. In my many many readings, I think I may have only pulled the Magician once, if that.

Other cards are the ones that have messages for you at the moment.

What has been your experience and learnings about the Magician? Thinking back to old readings, what was he saying to you? In regards to love, what has the Magician meant to you?

I've done a lot of readings for a lot of people over a lot of years.

I find that Magicians in different decks convey different messages. For example, the Magician of the Cosmic Deck is high-minded and mystical, whilst the Magician of the Granny Jones deck is a used-car salesman and I wouldn't trust him an inch.

If I had to *generalise* instead of talking about specific one-off interpretations (which ultimately are what every interpretation is, a one-off just for that occasion), then I'd say the Magician is a person who has all the tools they need in front of them to make the changes they want to their situation. In love that could be getting the most out of a relationship, or being manipulative. And it may sometimes be possible to get the most out of a relationship only by being manipulative!

Teheuti

In love that could be getting the most out of a relationship, or being manipulative. And it may sometimes be possible to get the most out of a relationship only by being manipulative!
Quote: "Beautiful and Fabulously Twisted."

nisaba

<grin> Logatrix referred to me as that here - I deemed it a suitable signature. It is Magician-like. :)

Laurelle

I see the Magician as someone who has a highly specialized power of concentration. He has the need and the drive to succeed. It's someone who is connected to the higher powers above and below. He is able to concentrate and grow flowers in his garden, so he can be very cultivated.

He can influence other people, mesmerize them and intrigue them. He is a good writer and orator. He is someone who is very active and can create, manifest and is extremely effective.

He is self-confident and sometimes a little egotistical. He is versatile and adaptable.

When I think of the Magician the number one word that I think of is "Concentration."

On a negative side, he can be highly manipulative and talk the panties off a nun.

I, ego, me, myself.....like another poster said are also aspects of him because the Magician is the self-conscious, objective aspect of ourselves.

Barleywine

The Magician has the will and wherewithal to accomplish whatever he sets his mind to ("concentration" is a good expression for his method) without regard to ethical considerations. I think he exemplifies Aleister Crowley's definition of magick: "The science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will." I like to see the Magician appear when there is a daunting task at hand and no clear way to get a handle on it; he just seems like the "answer man," even if the answer is simply "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks." His motto could be "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Querant317

Sometimes he can be a fast-talking manipulator and trickster. There are trickster aspects in both the Fool and the Magician; the Magician is more the con-man or huckster side of trickster. Or he can selflessly channel energy from above into the world below to make a garden bloom. He's a creator, a craftsman, and a communicator, too.

As far as love is concerned, he's definitely intriguing and exciting, but not always honest or dependable. Think of many of Johnny Depp's characters.

I love the reference to Johnny Depp's characters; that will stick with me. When deciding if the Magician is being a trickster rather than one in control of the next move, situation, etc. do you base that on the specific deck you're using?

Also, the Magician is the next card after the Fool. How is it that someone with so much power represents the first step of the journey?

Querant317

Querant317

I drew a card for advice, and I got Reversed Magician. Which to me felt like the deck was saying: "You are using your energy for something detrimental."

Long and short of it, that is somehow what happened. I got into more trouble than I bargained for.

Interesting because I just asked another how they differentiate between the empowered Magician and the trickster Magician. I suppose if it showed up reversed, that's one way. However I don't read reversals. This seems to be one of the more straightforward cards in the deck. Do you have any other examples of what the Magician meant for you?