Who uses both systems?

Herzog

WCS and Marseilles... do you actively use both? Does practicing both systems enrich your understanding of the cards, or confuses it?

AJ

Personally, I think it is the same system.

Le Fanu

I use three!

RWS, Marseilles & Thoth. They all coexist quite happily side by side!

To be honest I use FIVE systems and find them all equally enriching; RWS, Marseilles, Thoth, plus Navigators of the Mystic Sea & William Blake Tarot!

The crowned one

HerzogIsGod said:
WCS and Marseilles... do you actively use both? Does practicing both systems enrich your understanding of the cards, or confuses it?

I use both decks. No problems, I find that my separate reading styles have slowly blended into one unless I make a conscious effort to read a specific way as a exercise, for example I will purposely read with the idea's of Piscina and his times in the fore front of the reading... or GD...

Sulis

I use both and find like The Crowned One that my reading styles have blended into one style. Now I use numerology and the elements with RWS style decks and I look at the image and read that along with everything else with my pip decks.
There's no such thing as an unillustrated tarot card even if the Minor Arcana has no 'pictures' there's still plenty to read.

Nickigirl

Sulis said:
I use both and find like The Crowned One that my reading styles have blended into one style. Now I use numerology and the elements with RWS style decks and I look at the image and read that along with everything else with my pip decks.
There's no such thing as an unillustrated tarot card even if the Minor Arcana has no 'pictures' there's still plenty to read.

I totally agree with Sulis on this. I think that everything you learn about can add another layer of understanding to the cards and your interpretation of them.

ekb

Both systems? Yup. I also like both kinds of music: country AND western...

Seriously: tarot can have just about anything attached to it in terms of meaning. It's really only limited by the imagination of the person reading the cards. However, once a system has been imposed it needs to be used consistently yet interpreted flexibly.

Any system that can be devised can be used. Some systems work a bit better than others...

papercut

Since I started using TdM, most of my readings have been done with these decks. Every now and again I will break out a deck with scenic minors, which will usually be RWS based. But I no longer think of RWS meanings anymore. I tend to read directly off the card's imagery if it is scenic. I kind of use those decks as oracles now (interestingly, I get better readings out them that way anyway).

On the other hand, I use my own system for TdM/pip decks, but this system is influenced by RWS/GD meanings whether I like it or not. Though I did try, it seems I cant unlearn 10+ years of RWS study!

Moonbow

There is no 'Marseilles system' because these decks were not meant to be read with. Though personally I find them very readable for the very reason that there IS no system. This allows us to have complete freedom in interpretation and not having to stick to someone else's vision of what the cards mean à la Crowley or Waite.

53rdspirit

I agree with and do the same as Sulis. I also sometimes pick up meanings that impress me from other decks as well or just from life events in general, adding my own interpretations to the mix.
Sulis said: