Why 4 of Wands maybe FREEDOM????

Nalini

Hi,

I'm trying to learn many meaning of a card in different context and it's very puzzling at times. For example 4 of Wands, which is interpreted by some as freedom. I was reading Thirteen's take on it and didn't see it anywhere mentioned as freedom or wanting freedom.

Same with the World card. Though many see it as the end, according to Thirteen it's anything but that.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their knowledge and wisdom with me about this?

Waiting in anticipation to know and learn more.

Thanks,
N

Thirteen

4 of Wands, which is interpreted by some as freedom. I was reading Thirteen's take on it and didn't see it anywhere mentioned as freedom or wanting freedom.

Same with the World card. Though many see it as the end, according to Thirteen it's anything but that.
Well, first off, you can't take any listing of basic interpretations and expect them to cover everything that the cards can mean. I remember one reader who found that the 10/Swords for their daily draw turned out to mean acupuncture--literally needles in her back. Now I'd love to put that in my basic interpretations, but I don't think it would help beginners. I put in what I thought would help beginners. But there are tons more interpretations for these cards than I was able to put in.

Essentially, you're asking why a beginner's dictionary only has a few definitions for a particular word that may have dozens of definitions. I couldn't put in all, no one can. The beauty of the cards is that we all discover new definitions for them depending on the situation, question, etc.

That said, I'm afraid that I've never head of the 4/Wands as being about freedom or wanting freedom. Waite defines the card as "repose, concord, harmony, prosperity, peace, and the perfected work of these" (no mention of freedom/wanting freedom). And Crowley defines the card as "Perfection, rest after labor, completion after effort and trouble, structure, control." Almost any definition I've read relates to those two--a time of harmony and reward after completing something.

So, who are these "some" who define 4/Wands as "freedom"?

As for the World, yes, of course it's an end. You graduate and that's the end to your years at college. But it's not the same as "Death." You don't mourn the end, but rather feel like you completed something, and now can move on to a higher or different plane and start a new cycle of your life. To say it is "an end" would make people ask, "How is that different than death?" So I didn't say that. The World is something that ends and you carry away something you can continue using in the future, I wanted to make sure that was clear. Does that help?

Nalini

THANKS Thirteen!

Thirteen,

For starters 'WOW'! I really wasn't expecting you to reply on this thread (I'm a HUGE fan of yours and keep searching for your interpretation of cards on AT forum)! :D

Well, first off, you can't take any listing of basic interpretations and expect them to cover everything that the cards can mean. I remember one reader who found that the 10/Swords for their daily draw turned out to mean acupuncture--literally needles in her back. Now I'd love to put that in my basic interpretations, but I don't think it would help beginners. I put in what I thought would help beginners. But there are tons more interpretations for these cards than I was able to put in.

Very true, but your basic interpretation is very helpful indeed. Though it doesn't cover each and every situation but it provides with a brilliant guidance. It tells us in a nutshell about what a card is all about.

Essentially, you're asking why a beginner's dictionary only has a few definitions for a particular word that may have dozens of definitions. I couldn't put in all, no one can. The beauty of the cards is that we all discover new definitions for them depending on the situation, question, etc.

Actually, what I meant was that nowhere there is any hint regarding the 4 of Wands being about freedom or wanting freedom. My clear understanding was that it meant initial foundation or completion of the first phase and/or structure. So, when I saw that some people (coming to it in a while) read it as freedom or wanting freedom I was puzzled and wanted to know from where did they get it? Many like me really look up to you and see you (must also mention Rodney, Sulis) as our teacher. It may sound foolish but I was like 'Thirteen didn't see or say anything about freedom/wanting freedom, so where you folks are getting it from'? :D

So, who are these "some" who define 4/Wands as "freedom"?

I'm sure there are other threads where I've seen 4 of Wands being discussed as freedom/wanting freedom and also had this question burning in my head because the imagery (RWS) along with other things didn't across to me as that. Here is one such link where 4 of Wands has been discussed in similar context: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81956

Some have mentioned that freedom from an unhappy situation in context to this card but call me dumb if you will, I still don't get it. :(

As for the World, yes, of course it's an end. You graduate and that's the end to your years at college. But it's not the same as "Death." You don't mourn the end, but rather feel like you completed something, and now can move on to a higher or different plane and start a new cycle of your life. To say it is "an end" would make people ask, "How is that different than death?" So I didn't say that. The World is something that ends and you carry away something you can continue using in the future, I wanted to make sure that was clear. Does that help?

As far as the World is concerned, yes I understand what you meant (both here and in the basic interpretation). It's an end but as you said of a cycle in some cases or maybe if World is a relationship progress outcome then it would mean things coming together or falling into place, right? However, in some threads or readings I've seen people reading it as things are going to be over (for good). That is little confusing.

Thanks for taking time to explain and looking forward to learn much more,
N

KristinCali

Just my quick 2 cents... I started off trying to interpret my cards strictly according to a book. But then I got a 2nd book and the meanings were different! I was baffled! Eventually I gave the books up and over time (as I used my cards more) the meanings evolved to fit MY style. I keep a notebook with a card written on each page and I am always writing my interpretations and new discoveries down. Practice, practice, practice! I promise it gets easier the more you use your cards.

werewolfmoon

Each tarot deck has it's own subtle meanings, the seven of swords for instance 'traditionally' represents treachery, deceit and cunning etc. My deck, The Tarot of the Old Path, has the seven of swords as 'anxiety' in a reading I did for myself it came up with The Star, it took me ages to realise that it meant - anxiety about my hopes and dreams - I am starting University degree after a break from education of thirty years.