why do cards need borders???

Morwenna

The first deck I ever saw without borders was one I had wanted but the lack of border surprised me and put me off for quite a while; it felt overwhelming! But I got over it. It was my beloved Morgan Greer. :D

I'm used to borders, and I agree that they make the picture feel "finished." That said, I'd rather have a dark border than a white one in most cases, and I don't like the borders too thick. But many of the decks mentioned so far, like the Robin Wood, I don't consider too thick. I guess it comes from long experience with playing cards: the courts all have borders, it's expected.

What I really dislike is decorative borders that jar with the art of the pictures they frame. Among those I own, I'm thinking mainly of the Moon Garden and to a lesser extent the Sacred Rose; on this site I've seen some far worse.

nisaba

Morwenna said:
What I really dislike is decorative borders that jar with the art of the pictures they frame. Among those I own, I'm thinking mainly of the .... to a lesser extent the Sacred Rose;
Gosh, I *own* the Sacred Rose: and without getting up to look at it, I can't even remember the borders at all, they're that inoffensive. I assume they have borders, because I'm just slightly uncomfortable with unbordered cards and really notice them.

Nevada

The lack of borders was, I think, what kept me from getting the Morgan Greer for a long time -- though now I'm glad to have it. It's a favorite of mine. But the cards reminded me of ... modern photos ... snapshots. That made them seem less formal, less removed from reality.

I even remember when photo processing changed, I think in the mid 70s or early 80s, from borders to no borders, I had a problem with that. There's a more classic feeling for me to my old photos with borders than to the more recent ones without, and maybe that's the reason. The newer ones without borders seem to be less "dressed up", less formal, less removed from the present, while the older ones with borders seem to be more formal -- even the candid snapshots -- and placed firmly in the past where they belong. A photo is yesterday, after all, not today...

Even older photos from the early twentieth century came in cardboard frames that were quite ornate. Back then getting your picture taken was an occasion.

Now I wonder if most people who prefer no borders on Tarot or oracles grew up with the newer, border-less photographs...? Curious.

Taamar

Nevada, I like your connection to photographs... I'd never thought about it, but you're absolutely right! The bordered photos always seemed to capture a Moment, as opposed to a simple casual snapshot. Bordered cars seem more serious to me somehow... like asking a respected elder for advice; the unbordered ones seem like a chat with a good buddy. Sure, they are more approachable and friendly, but what good is the advice of the person who woke up with a hangover and no pants right next to you?

I am starting to consider getting duplicates of my favourite decks to trim, though. A little more causal familiarity wouldn't be amiss in a long term relationship.

jackdaw*

jackdaw* said:
I've only ever trimmed one deck to have absolutely no borders - the Tarot de Paris (modern collage one). And that was mainly because it was too big. And I didn't like it.
I lied. I forgot that I trimmed the Thoth. I did it to play with the geometry. But I will have to get a spare to leave intact.

Dogmother

I like the variety and choices. Some decks I work well with have borders, some don't. The only deck I've used that had borders that I found off- putting initially is the Old Path deck. And the multilingual titles of the Lo Scarebo decks just make them "busy". Not a fan of "busy" but I'm able to get past it as needed.

Hexi

borders

When we were going to our second edition of the Pearls of Wisdom we tried to go borderless. We found, however, that we might have lost some of the image in cutting. So, we chose a narrow dark border to protect the image, but not distract from the art work.

We have had various responses to the new deck, some like the white border others like the dark border. We tried to listen to what people on the forum wanted, any feedback/ suggestions for the third edition's printing?
The second edition only had 3000 decks printed.

greycats

Generally, I prefer borders because of how a border sets off a scene and because a border minimizes wear and tear on the image. However, borders can be irritating. They can be too big, sometimes taking up a third of the card. They can be so ornate that they overwhelm the image. Or they can be covered with black print which to me is distracting. And the colored ones--well, there's no accounting for taste, but some of the colors chosen do not flatter the images at all. For example, I feel that the border on the Spiral Tarot is particularly hideous. Shaded purple with red lines. Ugh!

That said, I rather like the ones which have a thin colored border that indicates the card's suit. I also like black borders in some cases, but these do show wear quickly unless special stock or careful lamination is used.

Bottom line: I do prefer borders, but borderless cards have an advantage in that they do not take anything away from the image on the cards.

MysticalMoose

For me it depends on the deck & the artwork altho if I had to choose mainly I do prefer borderless cards such as Bohemian Gothic, Morgan Greer, Templar. (& my trimmed DruidCraft) I like the way the images when next to each other seem to flow...without being restricted by white!!!. I do dislike those dreaded "white borders" in most cases I find them intrusive & annoying... (with the exception of MRP decks that is, they seem to have it spot on!)... If a deck must have borders I like it to be in a colour & style which "imo" complements the art of the deck such as the Anna K, Fenestra, Legend Arthurian or Llewellyn. I love black cardstock such as the World Spirit & Merryday & love their black borders as the colours really stand out against them. I have trimmed my DruidCraft & adore it. I also trimmed my Hallowquest Arthurian down to the black "windows" & that looks wonderful. There are however, a couple of cases where the trimming of the white borders was a wrong move...The Brian Williams Renaissance for instance just looked wrong & too thin, so I ordered another copy! :rolleyes: Also my 1st Edition Pearls of Wisdom got a borderectomy & just looked too busy without the white to lift the images. The Robin Wood was just toooo darn small after its trim, but having seen the wonderful job illustrated in the other thread where the borders have been coloured in black.....:D ... I think I may well be ordering a replacement!!!

ETA: If I could change a particular deck & its "border-arrangements" right now it would be the Jolanda, I'd LOVE to see those lovely colourful images fill the whole card without the dreadful lilac wishywashy surrounds! <shakes head in exasperation> :mad:

gregory

Hexi said:
When we were going to our second edition of the Pearls of Wisdom we tried to go borderless. We found, however, that we might have lost some of the image in cutting. So, we chose a narrow dark border to protect the image, but not distract from the art work.

We have had various responses to the new deck, some like the white border others like the dark border. We tried to listen to what people on the forum wanted, any feedback/ suggestions for the third edition's printing?
The second edition only had 3000 decks printed.
I like both editions :D

You do what feels right to you, Roxi ! (how about a completely new border.....! with cats.... teeny tiny cats..... excuse me; I just miss cats !)