why dont we use reversals.

louiseb

Hi All as a new tarot card explorer could you tell me why people dont use the reversed reading in tarot cards, for example the RW has the reversed meanings of the cards so why dont people use them or prefer not to use them. it may sound like a silly question to the more advanced readers in this forum but i really would like to know the reason behind it.

Thanks all a repsonce would be greatfully appreciated
louise

THAMKS GUYS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS i can finally relax knowing i dont need reversals anymore, as the song says i can see clearly now. THANK YOU ALL

rwcarter

I don't use reversed cards (i.e., upside down images) because I don't like them. But I do incorporate reversed meanings into the upright cards when necessary.

gypsylady

Personally, I feel that each tarot card has either mainly positive and/or negative traits attached to it. Depending on the cards around it, you will know which of these traits are being portrayed, therefore, I feel like reversed meanings are useless and needlessly complicate things :)

gregory

I think context is much more important than whether the card is upright or reversed.

SA12

After doing some reading and learning from other posters on here, I've come to embrace using dignities instead of reversals; I hate upside down pictures too, plus I feel like I actually learn more about the situation by paying attention to how the elemental energies are working with/against each other.

louiseb

I don't use reversed cards (i.e., upside down images) because I don't like them. But I do incorporate reversed meanings into the upright cards when necessary.

thanks for the reply, if i didnt use them would i be changing the reading for exaple if some one choose the hierophant and it was reversed and i turned it upright wouldnt this be changing the outcome and the reading. ( i never had this situation its just an example).
thanks for you comment hopefully you can reply.

poivre

Hi All as a new tarot card explorer could you tell me why people dont use the reversed reading in tarot cards, for example the RW has the reversed meanings of the cards so why dont people use them or prefer not to use them.
louise

I worked so hard to find my own understanding of the cards,
didn't want to put the effort into another 78 meanings.
Too much information! :D

I use the reversed cards as blocked energy or closed doors and then
pull another card, to add information to the block.
(the extra card, only if I feel it's needed)

I enjoy making my own reading rules,
wishing I would have began this way. :)

rwcarter

thanks for the reply, if i didnt use them would i be changing the reading for exaple if some one choose the hierophant and it was reversed and i turned it upright wouldnt this be changing the outcome and the reading. ( i never had this situation its just an example).
thanks for you comment hopefully you can reply.
You're using the reversed image as a cue to apply a reversed meaning. I use other cues from the reading (positional meaning, surrounding cards, intuition, etc.) to let me know when a particular card should have a reversed meaning apply.

If you're more comfortable with having the reversed image as the queue, by all means continue to do so. But what you could do for a larger reading like a Celtic Cross is to take a stone or token and place that on the reversed card that you've turned upright to let you know that you need to apply a reversed meaning. If seeing the upside down image doesn't bother you, then you don't need to change how you decide that a reversed meaning should be applied.

Just because some of us don't use reversed images doesn't mean that you can't use reversed images if you're comfortable with them.

To answer your example about the Hierophant, if the card comes up reversed, that's your cue to apply a reversed meaning to the card. If you then decide to turn the card upright, that doesn't mean that you all of a sudden have to apply an upright meaning to the card.

Rodney

louiseb

Personally, I feel that each tarot card has either mainly positive and/or negative traits attached to it. Depending on the cards around it, you will know which of these traits are being portrayed, therefore, I feel like reversed meanings are useless and needlessly complicate things :)

hmmm never thought of it like this but doesnt reversed meanings have a significance.

louiseb

You're using the reversed image as a cue to apply a reversed meaning. I use other cues from the reading (positional meaning, surrounding cards, intuition, etc.) to let me know when a particular card should have a reversed meaning apply.

If you're more comfortable with having the reversed image as the queue, by all means continue to do so. But what you could do for a larger reading like a Celtic Cross is to take a stone or token and place that on the reversed card that you've turned upright to let you know that you need to apply a reversed meaning. If seeing the upside down image doesn't bother you, then you don't need to change how you decide that a reversed meaning should be applied.

Just because some of us don't use reversed images doesn't mean that you can't use reversed images if you're comfortable with them.

To answer your example about the Hierophant, if the card comes up reversed, that's your cue to apply a reversed meaning to the card. If you then decide to turn the card upright, that doesn't mean that you all of a sudden have to apply an upright meaning to the card.

Rodney

thanks rodney you make a very positive and easy understanding of the reversals. thanks