why is the star...

BrightEye

...sometimes associated with love? i've come across this meaning a few times. in some decks, like the ansata tarot, it's the actual love card, the lovers standing more for a choice to be made. i mean love would make sense with all that water in the card, but then it's more a symbol of the unconscious in this instance. any ideas? and if love, what kind of love?

Alta

So these three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the best one of these is love.

There is faith and hope tied to love. :) (Corinthians 13:13)
and if love, what kind of love?
Wikipedia:
Agapē (IPA: [ɑˈgɑ.pε] or IPA: [ˈɑgɑˌpε]) (pronounced "ah-GAH-peh") (Gk. αγάπη [a'ɣa.pi]), is one of several Greek words meaning love. The word has been used in different ways by a variety of contemporary and ancient sources, including Biblical authors. Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love. Greek philosophers at the time of Plato and other ancient authors used the term to denote love of a spouse or family, or affection for a particular activity, in contrast to philia — an affection that could denote either brotherhood or generally non-sexual affection, and eros, an affection of a sexual nature, usually between two unequal partners. The term agape is rarely used in ancient manuscripts, but was used by the early Christians to refer to the special love for God and God's love for humanity, as well as the self-sacrificing love they believed all should have for each other.

BrightEye

thanks, Marion.

Marion said:
So these three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the best one of these is love.
ah - i usually think of them as faith hope and charity, but agape would be more charity than love.

Marion said:
Many have thought that this word represents divine, unconditional, self-sacrificing, active, volitional, and thoughtful love.
i like this.
Marion said:
and eros, an affection of a sexual nature, usually between two unequal partners.
i wonder whether agape then implies a love between equals, although the rest of the article doesn't really intimate that.

caridwen

BrightEye said:
i wonder whether agape then implies a love between equals, although the rest of the article doesn't really intimate that.

No it doesn't because agape is to be in awe. The kind of love one has for one's god. It would in some senses mean to deify, to put the other on a pedestal.

elvenstar

another way to look at the difference between eros and agape could be to think of it in terms of selfish-eros as desire, want, passion, taking - and selfless-agape as caring, giving, supporting, no strings attached. I wouldn't equate it with awe, which to my eyes is more related to respect or even fear than love. But I see what caridwen is saying and great admiration in unhealthy doses could lead to that and be mistaken for love, right? ;) I guess definition also depends on the time of usage etc.

As relating to the star, I can see it as love in the sense of agape or innocent pure love. Perhaps if we see the ideal of the lovers as needing two people or things to be united in love in it's highest expression, then the star could be the pure feeling itself, as experienced or expressed by one person? Just a thought, I'm not even sure if I agree with myself here :D

BrightEye

elvenstar said:
selfless-agape as caring, giving, supporting, no strings attached.
i can relate to that. i'm thinking of a pouring out of love that never exhausts itself because what is poured out always returns to the source.

star-lover

i can see the star as selfless love as in healing another devoid of desire but pure love

Apocalipstick

BrightEye said:
If it helps, in modern Greek, sagapo means "I love you".

Rosanne

If the Star is associated with Love- I think it is Spiritual love. In the terms of Crowley "every Man and Woman a star" - a wonder, a miracle, an open mouthed wonder= Agape! It is also a faithful love or a constant love...
From Shakespeare But I am as constant as the Northern Star... Reliable love; and if it is reliable, then it is also Truthful, which is one of the main associations of the Star for me, Hopeful and Truthful. ~Rosanne

elvenstar

Rosanne's post made me think: would a mother's love for her child be a good example of 'star love'? It's constant, reliable, truthful, selfless and more. Also, she will always see her child as a 'star', and this could relate to slightly more negative connotations of the star and tie in with caridwen's pedestal idea, so ignoring their faults, not having realistic views or expectations of the other person?