Why is the thoth tarot better than other decks for divination?

yogiman

At this forum one might expect that the vast majority is convinced of the superiority of the thoth deck, but I also like to hear other opinions.

ravenest

Then perhaps the Thoth Forum isn't the place to seek them :confused:

Richard

At this forum one might expect that the vast majority is convinced of the superiority of the thoth deck, but I also like to hear other opinions.

Then perhaps the Thoth Forum isn't the place to seek them :confused:

There is a fairly large group at Æclectic which has nothing but disdain for esotericism in general and GD and Thelema in particular, many of whom may not have made any serious attempt to understand the object of their disdain. Beware of opinions which spring from ignorance or sloth.

FWIW, I am not convinced of the unqualified superiority of the Thoth. It may be superior in some respects but not in others.

Zephyros

FWIW, I am not convinced of the unqualified superiority of the Thoth. It may be superior in some respects but not in others.

True. In fact, far from being uncontested, opinions on the Thoth vary widely. I don't think it is best for divination, though, depending on your definition of that. When it came to doing readings, I was a far better fortune-teller using the Morgan-Greer that I have ever been with the Thoth, no doubt about that. However, I gradually developed other interests and when I divine the depths of my soul, there is nothing quite like the Thoth.

"Best" is a matter of taste. I suppose one could say it is the most complete, and rounded, esoteric/GD deck, and even that hesitant statement could be torn apart by greater connoisseurs than I.

yogiman

I don't think it is best for divination, though, depending on your definition of that.

From a previous post I thought to infer that you are doing your best to learn the meanings of the cards. Now I am curious for what purpose?

yogiman

I have taken a look at the best decks ever here on aeclectic, and the Thoth tarot is nominated as third.

The impression I get is that the other decks are "cosier". The Thoth deck radiates strength and maturity, but to me also a spiritual coldness (possibly due to some bias against Crowley). The other decks are more childlike. The downside of this is imo that they have artistic pleasingness just for the sake of pleasing the eye.

When we divine we are relating to the power of the subconscious, and as the Crowley cards are presumably more spiritual, this process of relating is possibly stimulated by the symbolic imagery of the cards. This could make the thoth more suited for divination than other decks, under the condition that you can connect with Crowley and the cards.

?

AJ

best deck each year here are dominated by mob rules threads and recently, campaigning via facebook. I expect they hardly begin to express the opinions of the larger public

It's time you formed your own opinions rather than analyzing someone else's.

Zephyros

From a previous post I thought to infer that you are doing your best to learn the meanings of the cards. Now I am curious for what purpose?

Well, like I said, it depends on your definitions. While I do sometimes do readings, I study the deck for its own sake as well. Doing readings may be an important part of my Tarot practice, but it is still secondary to personal development. One could just as well ask what your definition of "best" is.

Is it best because it gives the most accurate readings? Probably not, that depends on the reader, and if someone doesn't like it, it won't work for them.

Is it best because it is the most beautiful? I've seen many decks that seemed more beautiful to me and as much as I like Harris's art, there have been many painters as good or better.

Is it best because of Thelema? Again, probably not. There are Christian decks with pictures of angels and saints, none of them drew me to become Christian.

Is is best because it is the "most occult?" I don't think so. One can cram any number of attributions onto cards, and there are decks that are far busier in terms of how full of symbolism they are.

Is the appeal because of Crowley's notoriety? I doubt it. I began to study it long before I l knew anything about Crowley, and by the time I was deep enough to get wind of some questionable habits he might have had, I could already make an informed decision, seeing through much of the supposed notoriety.

So in what way to do you mean best?

Aeric

Did Crowley explicitly state that working with the Thoth deck would bring the user closer to God/Higher Power/Whatever as the Golden Dawn and Crowley viewed it? Is it a tool for spiritual communion with something? I don't recall Waite making this promise in his book.

Zephyros

Did Crowley explicitly state that working with the Thoth deck would bring the user closer to God/Higher Power/Whatever as the Golden Dawn and Crowley viewed it? Is it a tool for spiritual communion with something? I don't recall Waite making this promise in his book.

Well, I can't think of any specific quotes, but I believe they saw Tarot as a demonstration of the Tree of Life, an encyclopedia of their system. It fit in their overall magickal endeavors. Tarot alone probably won't bring you to your HGA, but Tarot and yoga and magick and meditation and knowledge lectures and initiation rituals and teaching will.